Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Single speed full bounce …….. they say it can’t be done …..
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

#
    Van Halen – Member

does the A bob like hell when pedalling?
    Posted 20 minutes ago # Report-Post

Mine did with an air shock but I never felt it with coil, weird. Eventually I added more air and sold the bike promptly for far more than I ever thought possible 😀

amedias
    Free Member

It doesn’t bob any more than any other full sus, why should it unless you pedal like a goon?

amedias
    Free Member

short travel with a decent platform shock and it was very very quick too

Matt

Rex
    Free Member

XC-PK, that was mine after I bought it from SSS before selling onto you. Have you got a pick of the full build, I’d love to see her again [wipes tear from eye].

Not bobby at all in my experience, with propedal and a halfway sensible approach to pedalling. I only sold mine as I had to rationalise my ludicrously expansive bike stable.

john_l
    Free Member

my Kona A is probably the most fun bike I own, all the stupidty of one gear, with the added fun off springs!

that was my old frame & Jenn’s before that. Good fun but collected mud on that chainstay bridge something rotton.

singlespeedstu

I think they only ever made three “A” and they keep getting passed around. 😉

Russell96

Hmm, I’ve a S-Works Epic frame lying spare in the garage at the moment that would be ideal for a build. Will have to research some chain tensioners and have a look at how much chain growth due to the swingarm. Unless there is someone else that’s done similar?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

fwiw the rohloff tensioners seem to allow a reasonable amount of chain growth, and have a nice and stiff spring, so it won’t skip too bad.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

oh, and anyone know what the most amount of travel i should put on my 2003 ‘A’? got some revs on my main bike which i’m looking to move over. they’re u-turn, so would running them at 115mm be ok?

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

I use revs on mine and wind them down to 100mm for climbing but wind them right up to 130mm for going down.

RichieBoy
    Free Member

Ahhh Hairychested- i wondered if it was the same one that sold me my A!

I thought i got a good deal myself, although the shock has had it, and it came with a different stem and saddle to the ones in the pics you displayed…. Oh well always a risk buying over the internet…. 🙄

XC_PK
    Free Member

Rex-I will try and take it out on Sunday for a photoshoot. As for the bob debate this is my first FS so I can’t really comment and I am running a set of Maguras with 110mm travel on the front.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Must put a vote in for Lenz – SS, FS & the 3rd fun factor of big wheels

singlespeedstu

bonesetter.

There’s a Milkmoney that lives quite close to you.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Ooooh!? Reeally….????…

😛

singlespeedstu

Not mine BTW.

amedias
    Free Member

that was my old frame & Jenn’s before that….

I think they only ever made three “A” and they keep getting passed around. [:wink:]

well that stops here for this one, I love it and it’s staying with me till the day it dies now 🙂

I was a bit skeptical at first, but as soon as I swapped to a shorter travel fork it came alive, personally I’d say 100mm is the absolute max you’d want to run on the early ones, looks like the later ones have slightly steeper head angle.

BTW, did any of you previous owners of my frame (John, Jen, Dave) ever change the Main pivot bearings? is it hard?

Matt

bonesetter
    Free Member

I didn’t think you had a Lenz, so can you publicly be more specific to this MM wherabouts. Very unusual to hear of any Lenz’s in the UK, let alone next door!

But there again, you had a Jones owner as you next door neighbour – small world eh…

Brother_Will
    Free Member

From memory an old school gt idrive had a clever pivot affair which meant it had zero chain growth.

mamadirt
    Free Member

singlespeedstu – Member

I think they only ever made three “A” and they keep getting passed around. [:wink:]

I bought one for my son – had a Fox coil shock – pretty sure it was a 16″er (may have been an 18″ but toptube length was 21.5 so I could ride it with the seat down). Was a little too big for me though so ended up on the big ‘E’ when he decided he didn’t want toride muich any more . . . may be one of those up there ^ . . . v brake only model.

sorry for the rambling . . . I blame the vindaloo and Coors 😉

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Single speed full bounce …….. they say it can’t be done …..’ is closed to new replies.