Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Singapore and Kuala Lumpar
  • ian-r

My wife and I are off to the Far East to visit Singapore, KL and Penang. Any tips on what to see/avoid and, as importantly, where to eat. Looking for things that are not necessarily being touted by Trip Advisor etc.
    Cheers

TrekEX8
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of street food/food markets in KL and Singapore. I’m more familiar with Singapore, you can’t go wrong with any of the food courts, but Lau Pa Sat is great. Din Tai Fung (dim sum) is great for lunch, there are several in Singapore and at least one in KL..
    You can now cycle in Singapore around the marina and then along the East Coast Parkway towards the airport; take it easy in the heat and it’s a pleasant ride. I usually go walking, either around MacRitchie reservoir (monkeys/lizards etc) or along the Southern Ridge.
    Last time I went to KL visibility was really poor, but Singapore can suffer from this too (deforestation fries from Indinesia, I think).
    Have a great time!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Posting to remind me to come back later with some Singapore recommendations!

Din Tai Fung is a must.

More to follow.

ian-r

Cheers Trek and Flashy. Recommendations gratefully accepted

TrekEX8
    Free Member

….and you’ve got to try the garlic murtabak, mmmmmmm

Valleyboy123
    Free Member

Ding dong in Singapore is amazing, it’s just behind Bar Street also champagne brunch in Raffles is a great treat, non stop champagne and food. Cantaloupe in KL is also very good, a bit pricey, A la Carte but very nice.

KL water park is great fun and UNiversal studio is SIngapore is good if you like rides.

No Black Tie a jazz club in KL is a good night out

Cheers
    Nick

gastromonkey
    Free Member

If you like history the ww2 bunkers in Singapore was good. The zoo is good, we didn’t do the night zoo but heard good things about it.

The hawker centres (street food) are fantastic. We mostly ate in them and didn’t have a bad meal.

Find some of the bars where the ex-pat aussies and brits go. There are a few and they are good fun. We went to muddy murphies near orchard road. They had live bands, rugby and football on big screens all going on at the same time. I hope it’s still there. We had some good nights in there.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Sri Ananda in Penang.
    Food in Penang is awesome. Will knock the socks off KL and SNG.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Right, here goes. A few ponderings on Singapore. Bear in mind that my trips there are mainly work, but luckily, I know a few locals, too.

Hawkers – As above, these are great. Dirt cheap, but normally great food. Some to try;
    Maxwell Hawker – There’s a sublime sugar cane juice place in here, can’t give you directions, bar it being in the middle somewhere, so here’s a picture;

Drooling at the thought of it already!

Also in Maxwell, Tian Tian Chicken. There’ll be a queue. For a good reason.

Lau Pa Sat Hawker – Satay at the weekend. The smell in the air is enough to have you drooling.

Din Tai Fung – I tend to like the one at Raffles City. No real reason, apart from being a creature of habit. The Xiao Long Bao are enough to render a man speechless. It’s fast food, but not the way you normally think of fast food.

Off the beaten track (A little!) is Tanjong Pagar, where I normally stay. More of a local feel to the area. Try the food at Keisuke Gyoza King (Cash only, BTW)

Fancy a bit of a feast? Chilli or Black Pepper crab at either Long Beach (Dempsey), or No Signboard (Out on the ECP, but not too far).

Oh, and the peanut shells on the floor of the Long Bar are meant to be there! Join in….

Getting around is super easy. Walk if you like, but veeeeeeeeery slowly! Oh, and always carry a small brolly, just in case. The MRT is clean, efficient, and also has air con. A good thing! Cabs are super cheap, and have great air con. Don’t fall for the “special cab” at the airport. Nothing special about a Chrysler!

ian-r

Cheers guys

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Forgot to say, simple tip for any hawker – Join the longest queue, especially the one that contains the most locals. That will be the best food by far.

Singaporeans love their food. It’s their default conversation, “What did you have for lunch?” rather than blathering about the weather, lah.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Singapore

Get the cable car up to mount Faber from Sentosa island, do that for when the sun goes down.
    Arab street/Haji lane area is good early evening.
    Go to China town and visit the Buddha tooth relic temple. Remember to go upstairs for the actual Buddha tooth temple.
    Little india.
    Geylang road on an evening.
    Marina bay sands hotel infinity pool if you can get up there.
    Long bar at Raffles for an expensive Singapore sling (it’s not the original bar but I suppose you need to go) eat as many free peanuts as you can.
    The original Singaporean tourist attraction- tiger balm gardens.
    Newton circus food court.
    Down to the river for loads of bars, food, nightclubs, but you could be anywhere in the world in them, same as the shopping malls.
    Orchard towers is worth going to for the experience.
    Good cheap food all over the place.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Beware of the hawker centres – the food is cheap and very nice, but not particularly healthy. I’m not allergic to MSG, but know when i’ve had it, and whenever i’ve eaten at a hawker centre I know i’ve had a healthy dose of MSG. There is a bit of a public health kick going on in Singapore at the moment and they’re warning against eating at Hawker Centres too much.

Depends what you’re after in Singapore. If you’re after glitzy posh bars and restaurants then there are plenty. Bar 33 for beer brewed on the 33rd floor, I prefer the Restaurants at Robertson’s Quay over Boat and Clarke Quay’s. There is a Korean Restaurant at Robertson’s Quay I had to duck out of early to catch my flight home, it was looking promising so will have to go back there next time. If you want to get to the top of the Marina Bay Sand’s hotel then it’s SIN$35 to go to the observation deck, but you’re better off going to the bar. It’s a pricy drink but cheaper than the observation deck if you’re just going up for a look-see.

If you’re there over the weekend and fancy somewhere with a bit of night life, then Club Street is good. Lots of old colonial style buildings that are mostly bars and restaurants and gets busy at the weekend with people spilling out onto the street. Really lively atmosphere.

Had a great Thai meal at Champions Golf Course last time I was there. Cheap as chips (well cheap for Singapore) and as nice as any i’ve had at any Thai restaurant anywhere. Cheap and cheerful good to go and eat if you want to watch a sporing event.

Can’t really comment on all the tourist attractions as i’m usually not there long enough.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Has no-one suggested the Four Floors yet?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Gastromonkey mentioned Muddy Murphy’s which can usually be taken as code for ‘go there for a first couple before popping across the road to the four floors’! However I don’t think Muddy Murphy’s is still there – it’s a Harry’s bar now I think.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP we have had a few threads on Singapore which I have posted to as I used to live there – will try and find some posts later but a few quick thoughts

Club St for a drink or bistro style French food if you want something Western (Beaujolais). Orginal Shop Houses. Maxwell Hawker mentioned above very close. Over main road to China Town, Red Temple and Hindu Temple. Arab Quarter for Mosque and Lebaneese food, carpet shops. Little India for fishhead curry and general madness. Shop Houses and bars for a drink. Esplanade Mall / Theatre has some good bars (Bar Rosa drink/pizza) or No Signboard Seafood for pepper / chilli crab. Fabulous nightime view of skyline. Asian Civilisation Museum / Bridge / Boat Quay for a stroll. Night Zoo quite fun with simple Dinner there before. Raffles Square near boat key has money changers. (Better rates than banks) great lunchtime food stalls in basement – Roti Prata veg and spiced Chicken and/or seek out in Penang. Download taxi app to call cabs as faster than waiting at ranks. Ine rooftop drink maybe – few places. Sundown amd seafood at East Park (forget name of place fairly close to waterski/wakeboard lake)

Penang, historical quarter and street food inc Beef Rendang and Veg Roti Prata/Chippati.

KL I only know for business/transfer, Petronas Towers ? Book trip to Langkawi or even Borneo if you have time

atlaz
    Free Member

I’ll echo Din Tai Fung in Singapore (I eat there probably every third meal when I visit). In terms of food centres, my two favourites are:

Maxwell Food Center (as mentioned by Flashy) – The chicken rice at Tian Tian is about the best I’ve had (and I’ve eaten quite a few variations) so is worth the queue
    Tekka Center – Little India so it’s not Singaporean/Chinese/Hainanese but it’s amazing. Follow the biggest lines as with Tian Tian

JiBiru Craft Beer Bar on Orchard Road is just awesome. Great beer (pints of Hitachino Next White Ale!!!), great snacks and all the people watching you care to do. I dropped onto one of their outside tables for a beer just after lunch and ended up staying until 6pm when a colleague came past and dragged me out to dinner (yes, at Din Tai Fung).

Don’t miss out on Kaya toast and make sure to get the eggs with it (the coffee is entirely skippable as it’s an acquired taste). For good coffee, about the only place around where I’ve usually stayed (CBD/Chinatown) is The New Black on South Bridge Road.

atlaz
    Free Member

Oh, and there’s mountain biking on Pulau Ubin if you can be arsed with the bus/taxi then the ferry. I’ve not done it as when I had free time it would have been like riding in a sauna.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

From my Singapore experience… (tips from a local and some exploring)
    Skip the Singapore Sling in Raffles, go upstairs when it’s quieter sit at the bar and have a martini or 2 same experience just a nicer drink.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/wKQhix]IMG_0831[/url] by Mike Smith, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/wKQiiD]IMG_0829[/url] by Mike Smith, on Flickr
    Marina Bay Sands – they wanted 25$ to got to the bar at the end on the roof – hop in the lift behind some guests in the main lobby and hit roof when then put their card in the slot 🙂 (ridiculously expensive up there but the view was amazing
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/wKQm8X]IMG_0809[/url] by Mike Smith, on Flickr
    The gardens are amazing and the domes are great in the heat!
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/wr39j1]IMG_0352.jpg[/url] by Mike Smith, on Flickr
    Lunch from the top of the tall metal tree was good
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/wr3mPE]IMG_0646.jpg[/url] by Mike Smith, on Flickr

After that lots of great street food, harbour side stuff is fairly expensive and a bit tacky in places.

Little India was great and as said the MRT is fantastic.
    Don’t forget a hat and stay hydrated!!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Just to follow up on Mike – the new Botoanical Gardens (his photo) are worth a few hours and air conditioned / cool and humid – so good if you have not aclimatised. Original gardens (Orchard Rd) are great early before its too hot, Hertitage Trees and Orchid Garden. Raffles Hotel is worth sneaking in to, breeze through the front door (hotel guests only) past famous doorman. Tiffin box curry for an upmarket lunch buffer. As Mike says the long bar (not the original one its a fake for tourists) and dire pre made slings in plastic cups – if you/your wife wants to go insist on a freshly made cocktail in a glass or just have a beer

stewartc
    Free Member

Funnily enough I had a beer in the Mustang bar last Tuesday (was with a Sing newbie, right of passage etc).

I have nothing to add to the above as they are all good suggestions but I’m partial to a walk around Pulau Udin island, especially when you catch the ‘bum boat’ from Changi Point.

Not a fan of Maxwell food center (my Singapore office used to be down the road in China Town) but there is a good one if you continue walking up South Bridge Road with the Maxwell Food court on the right, through china Town and up to the Upper Cross Street junction, across from that is the Hong Lim Food Centre, less touristy and one the locals use a lot, has a famous noodle place there but cant place the name.

Went to Penang about 4 years ago for a holiday, cant remember a thing so I guess its not on my ‘to return’ list.

atlaz
    Free Member

especially when you catch the ‘bum boat’ from Changi Point.

If those are the boats that look like they’d swamp in a 1 inch swell, I’ve been on them 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

The food in Penang is amazing: top notch Malay, Indian & Chinese seemingly on every street. The only problem is finding enough mealtimes.

deker
    Free Member

gobuchul – Member

Orchard towers, 2 posts above, I honestly had no idea what it was lol

benp1

Food on all fronts is amazing, get stuck in!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

IMHO,Penang has some of the best food in the world
    The Nonya cuisine is pretty characteristic foPenang food. The locals tend not to go to in dividaul restaurts but go to mainly hawker stalls, not quite as clinical as in Singapore. But where you eat is very much dependent on wht you want to eat. Having said that, Gurney Drive has some very nice coffee shops, they don’t always look so clean, but many eat there without problems. Penang Laks, Kari Mai Fun.Popiah( (steamed spring rool) all must be tried, amongst the whole range of whatever catches your eye.

I think one of the hawker stalls in Penng arecently got a Michelin star, worth a Google to verify.

After a night out, remembre to try a Bah Kut Teh. like a light beef stew to settle the stomach and ward off the next days hangover

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I think one of the hawker stalls in Penng arecently got a Michelin star, worth a Google to verify

One in Singapore certainly did. Sadly.

Can the get anywhere near it now!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

You may be right

alric
    Free Member

eat in the indian restaurants in penang st, georgetown
    berjaya times square is a mall in kl with a rollercoaster inside and other such rides
    FRIM canopy walkway is a swinging bridge over the jungle near kl
    try the tea samples in the tea shops by the night market in petaling jaya, kl, jasmine tea was amazing
    if you want to visit an island off the east coast there’s a few to choose from.depending on time and budget.diving was cheap at pulau tioman and snorkelling really good if you dont do scuba

jambalaya
    Free Member

^^^ Tioman is quite good for an couple of days if you want an Island break

If you want to see some Singapore craziness there is a Lambourgi dealsrship at Suntec (tower 5 I think) – customers park outside easy tonsee 6-8 cars each worth £500k (car tax nuts there) in a place where there is nonwhere to drive really !!! Indochine on level above good for drinks and quality Vietnamese food, live music a few times a week (say hi to Pinto and Joey)

ian-r

Thanks for all the info. Sounds like we should have booked more time in Singapore!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mind if I co-opt the thread?

Am heading back to Singapore in a month or so, and looks like I’ll be staying at the Intercontinental for a change. Anyone know any good local food spots around Bugis? Not my usual part of town!

Also, @charliemungus https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/aug/04/michelin-star-for-singapore-noodle-stall-where-lunch-is-half-the-price-of-a-big-mac
    Went a couple of years ago. Delicious it was too.

jambalaya
    Free Member

CFH Will google later, there was a very good Mexican but I appreciate you may want a bit more local.

Thanks for all the info. Sounds like we should have booked more time in Singapore!

Just indicative of where we have all spent more time I think. Penang I used to visit for one day once a year as part of a sailing event and KL just for a business day-trip.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Singapore? Three days should do it, then get yourself over to Penang and max your time there

ian-r

Just back from the Far East and we had an amazing time.
    Tried a lot of the recommendations in Singapore for food etc although we bumped into what was probably Singapore’s only aggressive drunk in the hawker centre in Little India. Highlight was definitely the cloud and flower domes. Got to the flower dome at dusk when they turn the lights on and it was fantastic. Gardens on the bay were excellent at nights as well.
    KL was hard to love. Hotel was amazing and we ended up in a suite with afternoon tea and cocktails thrown in (not literally!).
    Penang was great as we were on the beach at Batu Ferrenghi. Could not fault the hotel and the views from the top of Penang Hill were impressive.
    Could have done without the 22 hour journey back yesterday 😥
    Thanks for all the recommendations.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Goodfor you. When i was a lad BF was all open, with about 3 hotels

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Glad it went well! The domes were certainly a relief from the heat when I was there but also stunning places.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Singapore and Kuala Lumpar’ is closed to new replies.