Home Forums Chat Forum Simple things that passed you by for years.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 218 total)
  • Simple things that passed you by for years.
  • jfletch
    Free Member

Whilst on the subject of base 12 and base 60, did you know that it’s possible to count to twelve

You can count to 144 in base 12 if you use both hands.

emsz
    Free Member

It takes 2 owls to make the Twit-twoo sound. One makes the twit and the other answers it with the to woo sound

Cool huh?

I’ve been tying laces right all my life ( who knew!!)

GrahamS

You can count to 144 in base 12 if you use both hands.

Or 1023 if you use Base 2. :D

miketually
    Free Member

There are loads of examples of the hidden things in logos: http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2012/10/the-hidden-meaning-behind-really-good-logos/

jfletch
    Free Member

Or 1023 if you use Base 2.

Yes but even if you are good its hard.

144 (or 100 in base 12) would be very easy if we were familiar with base 12. But we aren’t, because of the sodding Romans.

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

It takes 2 owls to make the Twit-twoo sound. One makes the twit and the other answers it with the to woo sound

Cool huh?

Bugger I should have said that. I’m reading The Once and Future King at the moment and it says in there!

Bunnyhop

twit is the male owl
    twoo the female.

now how did i remember that? :wink:

shooterman

I too have only recently realised my naivety in thinking being good at your job was the key to success and that soft skills are as essential as the hard technical ones.

I have also just realised that the genders think in very, very different ways which I will never understand and caution is the watch word.

That trust should be given very, very sparingly.

That worry is really useless.

maccruiskeen

There are loads of examples of the hidden things in logos

Here are some more things less well hidden in logos :-)

http://www.b3ta.com/features/phalliclogoawards/%5B/url%5D

GrahamS

144 (or 100 in base 12) would be very easy if we were familiar with base 12.

Base 6 (aka Senary) actually makes the most sense for counting on your hands, as the right hand can be the units and the left hand the “sixes”.

But that only lets you count to 35 (base 10) on two hands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senary

(I’m such a geek)

jfletch
    Free Member

Base 6 (aka Senary) actually makes the most sense for counting on your hands, as the right hand can be the units and the left hand the “sixes”.

This method is also how you get to 144 (or actually 0-143) in base 12.

left hand use your thumb as a pointer for the “twelves”
    Right hand use your thumb as a pointer for the “ones”

Where your finger bones are the units (and we handily have 12 of each on each hand)

scottyjohn
    Free Member

Holding shift and right click in windows explorer shows the “open command window here” option.
    Can’t believe I didn’t know this existed in windows, could have saved me a good dose of RSI!

GrahamS

left hand use your thumb as a pointer for the “twelves”
    Right hand use your thumb as a pointer for the “ones”

Cunning, but somewhat harder for someone else to read at a distance than just using fingers, e.g. ordering 143 beers in a noisy bar ;)

Also if you can count to twelve on one hand then isn’t it actually Base 13 or are you using the first finger bone as zero?

maccruiskeen

e.g. ordering 143 beers in a noisy bar

well its a bit early but as you’re offering…

mrmoofo
    Free Member

Windows have “sills”
    I was convinced they has “stills”

I realised I was wrong after buying my first house …
    I, too, have gone through the shoelace epiphany

emsz
    Free Member

Why anyone would want to smell of toilet water… If I’m honest i still don’t get it LOL

coolhandluke
    Free Member

The logo for A Style probably isn’t representing someone getting their back doors banged in….

TimP
    Free Member

Stunned by the wombles. I really thought there were just loads of them, thus making them common

DenDennis
    Free Member

I used to think in that mcdonalds advert, the song was addressing the ingredients, rather than giving quantities, ie

“to all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce….. etc”

rather than
    “two all-beef patties…”

ransos
    Free Member

Nah, I’m with Rusty on this one. If it get’s heard, it’s a sound, otherwise it’s just a vibration.

Erm, that’s what the dictionary definition says…

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

twit is the male owl
    twoo the female.

Nice try but I’m calling BS on that!

dabble
    Free Member

I didn’t get the “it’s always in the last place you look” phrase for years

bleeding thing won’t embed

maccruiskeen

Why anyone would want to smell of toilet water

Or smell like the Hindenberg

Eau de humanity!

nbt

It’s actually the other way round

“Twit” or “keewick” is the female (think of it as the female calling the male a twit”

“toowoo” or “hoot” is the male response

http://www.wildowl.co.uk/owlcalls.html

nedrapier

Why anyone would want to smell of toilet water… If I’m honest i still don’t get it LOL

toilet (n.)
    1530s, “cover or bag for clothes,” from Middle French toilette “a cloth, bag for clothes,” diminutive of toile “cloth, net” (see toil (n.2)). Sense evolution is to “act or process of dressing” (1680s); then “a dressing room” (1819), especially one with a lavatory attached; then “lavatory or porcelain plumbing fixture” (1895), an American euphemistic use. Toilet paper is attested from 1884 (the Middle English equivalent was arse-wisp). Toilet training is recorded from 1940.

So it’s the Yanks muddying the (toilet) water. :roll:

I shall be using “arse-wisp” henceforth.

jfletch
    Free Member

Cunning, but somewhat harder for someone else to read at a distance than just using fingers, e.g. ordering 143 beers in a noisy bar

Well obviously here you would just revert to the 1-12 system (like the 1-10 system but utilising either one or two closed fists as the extra digits)

Also if you can count to twelve on one hand then isn’t it actually Base 13 or are you using the first finger bone as zero?

Pedant!

Although this just highlights the need for an ISO standard for fingercounting once we move to the base 12 system where the first digit is zero.

maccruiskeen

Although this just highlights the need for an ISO standard for fingercounting

What good is an ISO for finger counting if you’re NfN?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I was quite far down the road before I realised the Doh a Deer song was actually muscial scales. My daughters were watching it on Video (remember them) one day and suddenly it clicked. Quite clever really.

Musicals were/are not my thing really.

jekkyl

I always thought the ‘conservative’ party was just a name that they called the political party. It wasn’t until years later that I realised that this is their approach also, less inclined to change.

Bunnyhop

It’s actually the other way round

“Twit” or “keewick” is the female (think of it as the female calling the male a twit”

“toowoo” or “hoot” is the male response

http://www.wildowl.co.uk/owlcalls.htmli did indeed get my twits mixed up. embarrassed as i’m a bit of a bird geek, with owls being my favourite.

GrahamS

surroundedbyhills – Member
    I was quite far down the road before I realised the Doh a Deer song was actually muscial scales.

I bet the surroundedbyhills were alive with the sound of music after that.

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

i did indeed get my twits mixed up. embarrassed as i’m a bit of a bird geek, with owls being my favourite.

Really? I just thought it was an attempt for a cheap jab but you got busted! :wink:

Cougar

Holding shift and right click in windows explorer shows the “open command window here” option.

If you go into regedit, drill down to hkey_classes_root\drectory\shell\cmd and delete the Extended key, it makes it always appear so you don’t need to hold Shift any more.

Bunnyhop

dirtycrewdon – see what happens when a girl tries to be clever, it backfires :oops:

GrahamS

Your joke still works though Bunnyhop. I imagine the exchange like this:

Female (angrily): “Twit!”

Male (confused): “Whoo?”

Bunnyhop

:D

molgrips
    Free Member

Why anyone would want to smell of toilet water

It always amuses me when British people complain about Americans using ‘bathroom’ for the place you go to wee, and say ‘IT’S A TOILET YOU SILLY PEOPLE’. The word ‘toilet’ is just as much of a euphamism, but probably a more extreme one because frequently the bathroom does actually contain a bath, but very rarely do we keep our clothes in there.

GrahamS

Don’t the yanks say “restroom”, which only really applies if you sit down to wee. :)

thegreatape
    Free Member

For many years I thought that the Toysrus dinosaur that the popular toy shop was named after looked awfully like a giraffe.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 218 total)

The topic ‘Simple things that passed you by for years.’ is closed to new replies.