Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 218 total)
  • Simple things that passed you by for years.
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

All through childhood I would see the bog brush behind the pan several times a day when taking a leak. It wasn’t until I was 18 and trying to power piss a skid mark off the bowl that it dawned on me that that’s what the bog brush was for.

It wasn’t until I was in my 30s that I realised ‘serving suggestion’ was a disclaimer and not a promise that somewhere on the packet was a recommendation as to what garnish might be ideal.

What blindingly obvious things have for some reason or other gone right over your head for an embarrassingly long time?

wordnumb
    Free Member

The difference between irrational and imaginary numbers.

Garry_Lager

Didn’t really get ctrl-x for years. I would copy, paste, then delete the original thing like a spanner.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

John Lewis’ own brand “Jonelle” was a spelled out version of the company’s first name and initial of the surname.

Bregante

Didn’t really get ctrl-x for years. I would copy, paste, then delete the original thing like a spanner.

*Whaaaat?

*I’m serious

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Karrimor. It’s ‘carry more’.
    Jonelle. It’s John Lewis, as in John L.

Edit -DD gets there first! #veryradio4

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Karrimor passed me for a bit too – thought it was the name of a mountain or something.

takisawa2

The only way to tell the difference between Viton & Nitrile O-Rings is to drop them into liquid freon.

aracer
    Free Member

You spanner, takisawa2, everybody knows that.

fingerbike
    Free Member

There is an arrow in the FedEx logo.

CountZero

Funny, that one, when I used to use Photoshop a lot, I learned to use mostly keyboard shortcuts, meaning I could keep my screen clear of all the tool boxes. Meanwhile, my boss who pretty much showed me how to use a computer, and graphics programmes, still used to use all the drop-down menus.
    Can’t think of any specific things at the moment, though. Something may come to me later.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

peterfile’s username.

Now I hate him.

i_like_food

Fingerbike – ahhhhhhh so there is!

dannyh
    Free Member

The Simpson’s

I have never, ever seen a whole episode.

ton

humour

Greybeard
    Free Member

Q8 petrol

neil_1979
    Free Member

Kaffenback

Also Staple pullers, think I was at uni before I realised what they were for

Cletus

The Windows key shortcuts.

I have only just stopped using CTRL-ALT-DEL to lock my computer

tomhoward

Kaffenback

+1 😳

Stoner
    Free Member

“Cotic” took me far longer than it ought.

ourmaninthenorth

There’s also a spoon in the FedEx logo, although that wasn’t designed in like the arrow.

A few years ago, we sold a business to FedEx. None of the yanks were impressed by our wide-eyed sharing of the arrow in their logo.

Things I’ve only just realized: in large organisations, being good at what you do isn’t the secret to success.

brooess
    Free Member

Things I’ve only just realized: in large organisations, being good at what you do isn’t the secret to success.

This. Plus working hard to do a good job is also not the secret to success in the corporate environment. <although it seems pretty effective in most other situations!>

Also, how unutterably manipulative and dishonest people can be when they feel threatened.

My life got a whole lot better when I finally accepted these 3 things!

brakes
    Free Member

that you don’t need to eat carbs with every meal

maccruiskeen

I had a minor epiphany recently when I realised why you have to put a £1 in a supermarket trolley

sugdenr
    Free Member

IR is off one end of the spectrum and UV the other, durrrh!

user-removed
    Free Member

I always spelt “available” as “avaidable”, until the age of about 12. It took some convincing. I also recently learned that “Thank You” is two words. The shame.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I’ve only just recently realized that the little wire bit on the side of the chain splitter on my multi tool is actually a chain hook to hold it together while you put a new link in 😳

shermer75
    Free Member

Jonelle!!!!?!??! HOW???????

mikewsmith
    Free Member

After 32 years and triggered by leaving the UK did I realise how good access is in England despite how much people moan, actually in general how good things are in the UK – mostly the things people moan a lot about.

shermer75
    Free Member

Maybe it’s because we moan?! 😉

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Emmelle = ML = Moore Large

The origin of the phrase “Beyond the Pale”.

Driving. It still does.

shermer75
    Free Member

The A12 haha

toemul
    Free Member

That my name is Antony and not Anthony.

kevj
    Free Member

I had an accidental epiphany moment when I learned you can zoom <In any windows page> by holding down control and scrolling with the mouse.

[Disclaimer. I do hope it is control as I’m on android atm]

thebrowndog
    Free Member

That Topeak might not be pronounced “tow-pee-ak” but “top-peak” … thats as good as I can do just now.

argoose
    Free Member

Cars have indicators

GrahamS

I spent 30 odd years tying my shoelaces incorrectly (not doing the second knot in the opposite order to the first) so I always had crooked bows on my shoes and my laces came undone.

Had a epiphany when I found this site.

Edric64
    Free Member

FEDEX arrow? I cant see it!

argoose
    Free Member

Between e and x

bearnecessities

That when you say “w”, it’s actually a “double” U.

About 32 when I realised that pearl. All by myself too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 218 total)

The topic ‘Simple things that passed you by for years.’ is closed to new replies.