• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by z1ppy.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Similar Hubs to DT Swiss 350?
  • GiantJaunt
    Free Member

The DT SWiss tick all the boxes but I just want to check I’m not overlooking similarly good priced quality hubs. Hope pro 2 also look good but is the rear hubs still really noisy? I’ve been happy with Superstar before but fancy trying something different for my one in a lifetime dream bike build.

james
    Free Member

350 is only 18point pickup on the freehub as standard. You have to buy the 36 star star ratchet seperatly and for some reason its about twice the price of a replacement 18star ratchet pair. Browsing for reviews it seems the 18star is bombproof whereas the 36star can fail, the 54star bontrager* special version reads as though it will definetly break. Eeven more pricey as a spare also
    *to fit DT RWS

I think Hope aren’t as noisy as they were since the Pro2 24point and early Pro2 Evo 24point. The newer Pro2 Evo 40point and Pro4? 44point are faster so the noise is buzzier and smoother
    I’d like to see how they fair before I’d buy one as the 44 has only really just come out and the 40point hasn’t been out all that long

Superstar Switch is hard to fault, it just not super light or massively fast freehub pickup (27point), nor is it pricey
    Superstar Tesla has improved since its initial 60point versions. The Tesla Evo 72point is faster and more reliable but can still fail. ime Warranty is excellent though

endurogangster
    Free Member

Dt swiss 240s have more flexibility for ever changing axle standards, and are a bit lighter. Probably worth picking up a second hand set of wheels and stripping the hubs off than buying new. Really easy to service apart from the last bearing that need a special tool but they are well sealed!

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

That’s useful info thanks. I will definitely have another look at the Hope hubs now. The noise isn’t a big issue really especially if they have better pick up than the standard 350’s.

eshershore
    Free Member

I’ve used hope for years but got a little fed up with bearing quickly going rough, free hub quickly chewed by cassette and dirt getting into freehub, broken axle, broken pawl springs, plus hubs always felt draggy. I’m all for supporting British manufacturing and hope’s customer support second to none.

Had DT 350’s a year, no fuss, bearings silky smooth, popped freehub apart and as new no dirt ingress. Very impressed.no issues with pickup.

bramblesummer
    Free Member

If you ask nicely, I’ve got a nearly new 350 rear hub in 12×142 with the 36t upgrade going for sale. I’d have kept it if it weren’t for everything else in the house being hope.

stevied
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair for sale. 20mm front, 142mm rear…

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Thanks folks. Will that convert to 15mm Stevie?

slackman99
    Free Member

I’ve also got a 142×12 350 currently built into a rear wheel that I’d either sell as the wheel or hub only

andysredmini
    Free Member

I know nothing about any of the other hubs as I will only use Hope. If you don’t like the noise just add a bit more grease. I love the noise but after I service mine they are deadly silent for months after. It’s weird just being able to hear the tyres.
    Makes you feel faster.

squealer
    Free Member

I’ve also got a set I’d sell. Brand new, 142 rear 15mm front. Grey ones.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Thanks squealer but It would be black ones I’d need. Have the rims already.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I really don’t get noisy freewheels like Hope. Just no. I’m probably the only person that doesn’t like them.

Northwind

DT240… But, they’re too expensive. So every time I’ve wanted a set, I’ve just bought some cheap used wheels with them in. EX1750 is the easiest one to find, they’re pretty undesirable now so I got one set for about £125, even managed to recover a little by selling the rims.

james – Member

Browsing for reviews it seems the 18star is bombproof whereas the 36star can fail

Mostly old ones? The original 36T was a little too soft but they revised it after a couple of years, the current version seems pretty flawless. It’s more expensive than the standard one for the same reason it’s lighter, it’s a more complex part. I have them just because I’m a tart but tbh it rarely makes any difference- I have one set of wheels without it and I can feel the difference but I really don’t care much.

But the extra 10 grams or whatever it is pains my soul 😆

james
    Free Member

Ah didn’t know they’d revised the 36star ratchet. Good to know, shouldn’t have to worry about mine now
    I think Ill have read it on somewhere like mtbr. One of those monster threads that goes on for years

mattyfez

The 40 point engagement variant of the hope pro2 isn’t as noisy as the older version.. But ticks more often as theres almost twice as many teeth.

Packing with greace quietens them for a bit but the grease will enevitably not stay on the contact points in thick enough quantity to keep them quiet for too long, unless you use far too much and run the risk of poor engagement and sluggish pawls.

mattyfez

I’ve been running them (pro2 40t) for about 6 months, I was concerned about the noise, at first I felt a bit self conscious but I quite like it now.. There is the odd occasion where I don’t appreciate relative silence.. But not really… Sometimes I even backpedal when free wheeling down a long straight just to make them buzz more!

You can get steel hub bodies for them rather than the standard aluminium, which won’t suffer cassettes digging into them..I think they are a bit heavier though.. Although I think a lot depends on the design of the particular cassette your using, some will bite in more than others.

That can be mitigated somewhat by pulling the cassette off periodically and gently file the tip of any sharp edge developing so you shouldn’t get into a position where the cassette is jammed onto the free hub.

z1ppy

yep just got a set of Pro 2 Evo and they aren’t half as noisy as my Pro 2’s were

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Similar Hubs to DT Swiss 350?’ is closed to new replies.