Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • silver soldering… (bike related)
  • hungrymonkey
    Free Member

is silver soldering something i can do myself? (no prior experience of soldering)

want to change the cable guides on my solitude frame, after its sandblasted and before its powder-coated. have been advised that silver soldering is what i need to do.

lipseal
    Free Member

Yep you should be able to do it, do you have any oxygen & acetylene?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

er no, no kit whatsoever…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Is it silver soldering anyway? I thought it was brazed on.

Get a pro to do it if I were you

cynic-al
    Free Member

I'd be getting it done professionally!

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

4-5 week lead time 🙁 don't really have time for that right now (nor the money). will have to investigate if any local firms can do such a thing.

funkynick

TJ… the main tubes are brazed together, the accoutrements are all silver soldered.

hungry.. even though I have done silver soldering before (a long time ago mind), I'd not want to risk doing something silly to my expensive custom Solitude! I'd get a pro to do it…

funkynick

hungry… have you spoken to Lee Cooper? He's the guy that would have made the frame.

backhander
    Free Member

It's not rocket science. A micro (oxy/acy)torch should provide sufficient heat. The most important things are thouroughly clean the pipes in the area to be soldered/brazed and use PLENTY of flux. IIRC,most of the flow is cappilliary and as such is not such an art as welding etc.
    I haven't done any in a while so will stand by to be corrected.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

funky – it was lee i called, who had the lead time (but gave me some very good, friendly advice).
    got a local guy who can do the powdercoating, and seems to work in a body shop, so i'll ask him if he has the skills.

if i'd kept the rohloff, i'd not be having this quandry… but a bolt on cable stop for the front mech, redundant guides on the LH seat stay, and zipties on the righthand one just looks crap 🙁

lipseal
    Free Member

I silver solder all the time at work you need flux silver solder and loads of heat oh clean pipes, I could do it but depends on where you live?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘silver soldering… (bike related)’ is closed to new replies.