Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Silsden routes / Group rides?
  • jaymoid

Hi,

I’m new to Silsden, and looking for some local offroad to pootle around on. Ideally from the door, I know there’s plenty of stuff in Bingley, Ilkley, etc but I dont have time to faff getting my bike in the car in the evenings so need something from my door. Any recomendations, or routes to share please?

Are there any evening rides that I may be able to join in on please? I was out walking with the misses last night and saw a herd of mtb’ers lit up come passed us (round the back of the the new aldi) and got very jealous so if anyone doesnt minds me tagging along, I’d really appreciate it!

Many thanks…
    James

chestrockwell

Hey James. If you ride on the back road over ‘Cringles’ you’ll get to Skipton Moor. From there you can hit all the tracks around Bolton Abbey, Bardon Moor etc. A decent little route is to look on the map look for Draughton Heights, find the bridleway nearby and head to Skipton. From there you can come back along the canal or go further a field. 😉

martinhutch

Skipton CC do evening rides for mtbers, I think.

As ChestRockwell says, the BW across Draughton Heights and the descent into Skipton is worth doing. Various cheek above Farnhill and Addingham that can be worked into that, plus it’s pretty easy just to ride up and out onto the back end of Ilkley Moor from Silsden.

keng38
    Free Member

Facebook group called trails tribulations and cake do loads around that area.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’m in Bingley and go up onto Rombolds Moor sometimes in the Summer, have been told that the FP on Addingham Moor from Silsden is ok in the dry, the one which traverses to Swastika Stone and beyond, I think (might be the higher track) .

NB Rombolds Moor is the name for the whole Moor, divided into Addingham Moor, Ilkley Moor, Bingley Moor, Burley Moor etc etc.

There’s some great stuff on Ilkely Moor, incl higher up to 12 Apostles, across to the summit trig, Whetstone, Buck stones. It’s mostly local knowledge as usual, some tracks are rubbish, some great. Most of it is only worthwhile in dry spells, mid summer or frozen mid winter. Also some great tracks east towards Burley, but again some are great, some rubbish, some depending on direction. Best option is to go for walks over the whole moor and see what’s what. Ilkley Moor is open access for all users, the rest is privately owned. Result is that you can mostly claim ignorance on the rare occasions you get challenged outside Ilkley Moor and be on your way.
    There are also lots of good bike trails on Middleton Moor on the other (north) side of Addingham/Ilkley. Again, you have to pick and choose which ups and downs to get the best out of them.
    The route talked about above by others is a classic.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

There’s a footbridge in Addingham to get access to Middleton Moor and beyond.

trout
    Free Member

I am in Silsden and dp plan to get out with a few mates on a regular basis
    after this coming week. happy to show you a few trails

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Harden Moor is not that far down the canal from Silsden

darthshearer
    Free Member

A mate of mine who lives in Harden rides with these guys:-
    https://www.strava.com/clubs/Woolly-Pedallers

Supposed to be a good bunch

whitestone
    Free Member

There’s also a group that are based in Cowling, usually go out on a Wednesday night. Can’t remember their name ATM but they log stuff on Strava.

The SCC rides that Martin mentions are on a Tuesday night. Think it’s organised through SCC’s Facebook page.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Silsden routes / Group rides?’ is closed to new replies.