Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • silly fork question
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

say you had 140mm forks, and moved to 150mm forks, would the steerer tube be ok being the same length as the current 140mm??

basically does the 10mm added travel go on the whole length of the forks, or is it compensated in the internals, thus making the lowers the same length on the same branded forks?? do i have to leave 10mm extra length on the steerer tube to comensate for the extra 10mm travel?

pretty dumb question but i want the setup the same basically, and current ride height etc feels just fine…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Travel does not affect what steerer length is needed.

EDIT did I not have some technical discussion with you on something a while ago? This may explain a lot 😀

coffeeking
    Free Member

Steerer tube length is set entirely by your head tube height and headset stack height, nothing to do with the travel. And it depends on the fork whether the travel changes the entire fork length, some modify internals only, some will extend the fork. Each fork usually has its dimensions available in the manual. Either way I'd be amazed if you noticed 10mm (hell, it's only 6.6mm if you set sag correctly anyway).

BigJohn

I think what you mean is "can I remove 10mm of stem spacers and get the same riding position". The answer is yes.

But be careful – different makes of fork have different axle to crown lengths, so you might have a lower riding position with RS 150s than Marz 140s for example.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hi guys,

cheers for the responses – not me cynical al, im new to this malarky 🙂

but thanks for the responses, thought it wouldnt affect the steerer tube length but wanted to be safe

i have a spare hope hed doctor lying around unused, instead of purchasing a star nut (and i dont have a tool to get it in), can i just fit the forks and then install this hed doctor and it works the same as the star nut im assuming?

are the hed doctors easy to install? no special tools?

thanks again for your help 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

Yep, I'm a fan of hed doctor style things instead of SFNs, just a normal allen key.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

awesome truly awesome, DIY jobby here i come! 🙂

cheers for the help guys 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘silly fork question’ is closed to new replies.