• This topic has 52 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by gazc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Show me your tip/skip finds…
  • matt_outandabout

Two visits to the tip recently, and I am happy with:

What have you found?

pictonroad

Moody blokes in hi viz that constantly moan that I’m using the tip and act like their presence is a massive favour to me personally. Taking something. 😆

sharkbait
    Free Member

My very well off BIL gets a skip at his house once a year to clear out stuff he no longer wants.
    I then remove anything I want.
    Top finds so far are:
    1 x large gas bbq (griddle mouldy) – still going strong 6 years later.
    1 x Weber Q series gas bbq – needed a stripping and a good clean (he likes new bbq’s – can you tell?)
    2 x XL Fatboy bean bags (grubby, couple of small tears and mildew from being left on grass for a summer) – I washed then, put sail tape on the inside of the tears and removed the mildew with specific cleaner. Topped them up with new beads and they’re good as new).

Bless him!

Cougar

Last time I went to the tip, the skip I used was empty save for a large amount of grumble in a back corner. DVDs, VHS tapes, magazines of the “if you look carefully you can see what I had for dinner” variety.

GrahamS

@sharkbait: so rather than just offering you this stuff directly, your BiL hires a skip so he can watch you raking through his garbage?

He sounds nice.

bencooper
    Free Member

I just got a very good MIG welder and a bunch of tools off a neighbour who’s moving house – didn’t need to raid a skip, though, he told me to come get them.

edhornby

I don’t know which bit of the world you live in but round our way the hi-viz wearers go completely apeshit if you so much as try to touch anything that is already in a skip

other than one house brick that send the man into a total appoplexy I’ve not seen anything worth having

sharkbait
    Free Member

TBF Graham the first BBQ I pulled from the skip after my SIL called me to say what he’d done, the second BBQ he phoned and asked if I wanted it as it was going – he then bought it round.
    He thought the Fatboys were dead. He is nice really 🙂

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

CBA to fire up the desktop to load pics – but:

One Raleigh 26″ town bike
    Lots of computer parts [RAM HDD’s PSU’s Cases etc]
    Around 8 CPU Heatsinks for Fishtank LED conversions
    Speakers/drivers
    A Toshiba Celeron PIV Laptop
    12v 50A CB PSU
    Untold bits of ‘HiFi’
    A Polaroid Spectra-format camera, with a few shots still in it, in a camera bag. I picked it up, pointed it at the G/F, pushed the button and out popped a picture!

I used to make lots of money off a computer shop near me by taking all their untested/’uneconomic for repair’ and putting working bits together and flogging it.

The list goes on and on and on; it used to be a hobby of sorts.

These days the girlfriend keeps me on a tighter leash, and to be honest after moving with all that crap a few times, I’ve sort of had enough myself!

GrahamS

He is nice really

Fair enough – I had images of him inviting his friends round for Pimms and a good laugh at his frightful brother-in-law raking through a skip. 😀

torsoinalake
    Free Member

round our way the hi-viz wearers go completely apeshit

This.

Plus you get this at the entrance:

Hi-viz and headser man: “What are you bringing in today”
    Me: “Rubble and plasterboard”
    Hi-viz: *sucks air through teeth* “How much rubble?”
    Me: About 4 sacks
    Hi-viz: “Do you know why I am asking you this?”
    Me: “No, I assume I can only bring in so much a month”
    Hi-viz: “If it’s commercial waste, we are going to have a problem”
    Me: “It’s not” (I’m in my car – the rubble and plasterboard in the boot)
    Hi-Viz: “Well I can only go what you say.”
    Me: “So can I go in?”
    Hi-viz: “Well I’m telling you we are going to have a problem if it’s commercial waste”
    Me: “Again, it’s not, if you aren’t going to let me in, then say so”
    Hi-viz: “Well, I have to tell you these things”
    Me: “So can I go in?”
    Hi-viz: “Go ahead”

FFS!!

cliffyc
    Free Member

2x Numatic Henry vacuum cleaners,De Longhi oil filled portable radiator,High back vibrating sound system gaming chair,3x vacuum flasks various sizes,5x bike bottles,3x 26″/700c tubes and a steamer chair in the last 18 months from our local Recycling point. I do like a good up-cycle!

matt_outandabout

😀

geoffj

The local guy we have here is brilliant. I have to stop myself bringing stuff back every time I go.
    One of the best finds was a ladies bike that Mrs J commuted on for 2 years.

tang
    Free Member

Charity shops are my speciality. My mate pulled a classic Dean ti frame in pretty minty condition from a roadside skip a few years back. Jammy sod.

konabunny
    Free Member

Resuscitated a number of dumped bikes in the past – just sold an old Trek MTB for 80 quid in about fifteen minutes on Gumtree – but most unexpected result was an old Dawes. Found it in a skip, left it in the shed for ten years, mate put t on eBay last week – more than 250 quid! Result!!!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

My mate pulled a classic Dean ti frame in pretty minty condition from a roadside skip a few years back

I can imagine the conversation that led to that being chucked out.

“This bike frame that so and so left in the shed, Do think it’s any good?”

“Nah, it’s not even got any paint on it, best chuck it out before it goes all rusty”

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

My ex worked for a Garden Centre, she used get access to the van, we had a big hedge and trees that needed trimming, you can guess the kind of convesation we had when we took it to the dump.

“it’s a Garden Centre, it sells plants, we don’t do gardening jobs” Just had bonfires after that IIRC. Much more satisfying.

Nice find Matt – will go with your other Recycabike projects? It was empty on Sat afternoon, nearly all stock gone!

Cougar

At my local tip recycling centre, you need a permit if you have a van. The Highly Visible Harry Kings they employ will stop you at the gate if you dare to turn up in anything remotely vannish, such as a car with privacy glass.

GrahamS

I realise the HighVizHitlers have a job to do, but is it really so inconceivable that a member of the council tax paying public might own a van for domestic use, or perhaps hire one occasionally? Especially when they are taking items to the tip!

Likewise, surely they should be actively encouraging people to take away anything they think is of some salvageable use? It is supposed to be a recycling centre after all.

Drac

is it really so inconceivable that a member of the council tax paying public might own a van for domestic use, or perhaps hire one occasionally? Especially when they are taking items to the tip!

Nope. Which is why many councils allow you one permit free per month to allow you to use your van.

Cougar

Pretty much the argument I had with them when I turned up in an Astra van, identical to a regular Astra estate only with metal panels where the back windows would’ve been.

That said, I *think* the permits are free, so it’s just a means of proving that you’re not abusing the system. I think.

chvck
    Free Member

That said, I *think* the permits are free, so it’s just a means of proving that you’re not abusing the system. I think.

Yeah I think so. When I had a pickup I just had to ring the council to let them know I’d going to the tip later that week and that it was all private not commercial.

jota180
    Free Member

The Highly Visible Harry Kings they employ will stop you at the gate if you dare to turn up in anything remotely vannish, such as a car with privacy glass.

or on foot, or on a bicycle, or a motorbike
    They’re all far too dangerous to take part in environmentally friendly recycling 🙂
    If you haven’t got a car, you’re not coming in.

joshvegas
    Free Member

What you have to understand is commercial waste is EXTREMELY expensive to get rid of, don’t know the current figures but to landfill it used to be about 30 quid a tonne plus 80 quids worth of tax that’s for normal waste fridges, tyres, asbestos and gas canisters etc… loads more.

Its not inconceivable someone is just using their works van for domestic use… its just highly likely it someone pulling a fast one, I know of atleast one guy who had a fleet of shitty estates for just such a purpose.

Glasgow City Council require advanced notice and an addressed letter/bill etc.

mark90
    Free Member

There’s a lot of obvious trade waste being dropped at our local tip in old estates / people carriers with the seats down or removed. But woe betide anyone bringing household waste in anything vaguely van like or with a trailer.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Well you can find out from your council what you need to do and not have an issue can’t you? Simple.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

One vintage ‘national’ shop till, sold on eBay for £120

A pair of vintage wooden skis

A Raleigh town bike

A full set of wooden patio furniture it just needed sanding and teak oiling

A lavazza coffee machine (broken) sold on eBay for £10

2 vintage trunk cases

A broken iMac

A bay tree in a pot (was live and well couldn’t see it get binned)

I avoid the tip in Chester city centre though high viz make it hassle to drop anything off.

creakingdoor
    Free Member

Came home with a boot full of Scalextric years ago.
    On the trade waste front, I wonder if they’d turn me away if I turned up with a tonne of clean copper to be ‘dumped’.
    What narks me about the Hi-Viz ‘police’ is the way they bark orders about what goes where, but if you need a hand with anything they’re nowhere to be seen.

stoffel
    Free Member

Got a working pair of Mission floorstanding speakers from the local recycling place, was really chuffed, only later did I relse that sort of stuff gets collected by a charity which then sells it on. 😳

I’ve built my entire basement workshop out of materials I’ve salvaged from outside neaby houses that are having work done. And having plenty of affluent friends means I don’t have to scrat about in skips to find nice things. 8)

donks
    Free Member

Found the complete Lego super car (8880 I think?) built it and then sold it on eBay for £80.

bearnecessities

Just to redress the balance; Pudsey Recycling centre have been nothing but helpful as I’ve emptied the contents of an overgrown allotment, and then a house, over the last year.

Happy to help and give a hand when they can see me, or anyone else with a boot full of crap (I’m talking soil/plaster/wood/carpet – not anything with the slightest whiff of value).

I even asked about getting rid of some sofas and they provided some useful ‘advice’.

Nice fellas.

redthunder
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nZyZcx]Raleigh Sprint[/url] by SGMTB, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/e4vujW]Raleigh Sprint – Vintage Road Bike – Project[/url] by SGMTB, on Flickr

Does it make me a roadie ;-(

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

Kendal waste recycling “tip”:
    “Sorry sir, you can’t come in here with a van”

Me:”but this is my only transport, I’ve only got my old cooker in the back”
    “sorry sir”

*unloads cooker round the corner onto sack trolley & walks back in*

“sorry sir, you can’t come in here ON FOOT”

Me: “OH **** OFF!”

johndoh
    Free Member

For me it was always the skip where my late dad worked – an AV company
    They threw allsorts out, still have a pile of amps, speakers, CD players, tuners etc at my brother’s house and have a nice Hi-fi set-up at work.

craigxxl
    Free Member

My brother is a porter for the NHS. I’ve had all sorts from the usual boxes of surgical gloves, syringes, stainless steel tables and a diesel Karcher pressure washer. You’ve got to love the NHS stock control.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Make a few bob back in the day by emptying the skips out the back of the University of Glasgow Computer Science Department. Found an LCD screen that mounted onto an OHP that I sold to a guy in Spain for about £100, remember an original Power PC and Mac II manking a few quid on the evil bay as well.

Another guy got a fully working (but locked and no software) Sun Sparc Station and punted it for about £300.

Managed to get some propane bottles and bike wheels from the local tip before they started getting arsey. They redid it and it looks like a prison yard with all the spikes, floodlights and cameras, bonkers…

bencooper
    Free Member

I almost got a Bridgeport milling machine from the Physics department at Glasgow Uni – they’d phoned the scrap man half an hour before. I do have some useful stuff from the Uni, though – my frame soaking tank has a fancy water bath heater.

JulianA
    Free Member

The guys who work at the Basingstoke tip are brilliant. We were going there five times per weekend a few years ago with a trailer full of rubble and other waste from a house refurb project and they were really helpful.

Almost got to be on first name terms. You have to have the right trailer though – ours is the largest you can get into the tip without a permit (thanks for the tip, TrailerTek!)

I don’t see why trade waste should be recycled for free and I totally get why they are careful about it. I went in one time in our builder’s van and they were a bit chary: I said ‘Come on guys, you know me’ and they said ‘Yes, but we need to do the paperwork’. That said, I was taking a dozen or so saleable doors.

Great guys and a great facility.

Cougar

Its not inconceivable someone is just using their works van for domestic use… its just highly likely it someone pulling a fast one, I know of atleast one guy who had a fleet of shitty estates for just such a purpose.

Let them. Arseholes like that will just dump it all at the side of the road otherwise.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Show me your tip/skip finds…’ is closed to new replies.