Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)
  • Show me your Steel, Single speed, Rigid, 29ers. What you got?
  • nosemineb
    Free Member

Whilst i wait to start the build of my Salsa Elmariachi.
    Can hardly wait. 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve an El Mariachi SS

Upgrades:
    Ritchey WCS foam grips
    EA50 flat bars
    Thompson stem an post
    Spesh Phenom saddle
    XTR M970 cranks
    WTB Bronsons
    Hope Mini X2 brakes with aires rotors
    KMC chain (gold obviously)
    Groove armada sprocket
    Hope gold chainring and KCNC bolts
    Some other gold bits n bobs.
    PDW bird cage

It looked quite nice a month ago! now it’s caked in an inch of mud, there’s a dent in the top tube, the chainstays have a big patch of heel rub, and the anodising’s come off the bottle cage.

It’s getting “well used”.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Salsa With Reba’s

Salsa with Rigids

Pace with rigids

Another Pace with fat front

STW Standard Rigid Swift

nosemineb
    Free Member

Good to hear! Mines will have thomson, hope/stans with Niner carbon forks and some other bits and pieces i can find.
    Just seen the pics now, hows the pace shep? Which is your favourite?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Niner carbon forks

You’ll appreciate them, the salsa’s are seriosuly stiff (coming from a Swift).

tthew

Not the first time I’ve put this pic up, but….
    Been on enough rides on it now to realise what a bloody wonderful bike it is. Was a bit dubious about no suspension forks, hence the reason I went for this build over a Fortiude, but I can honestly say I don’t miss them for the areas I’ve ridden so far.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Just seen the pics now, hows the pace shep? Which is your favourite?

The Pace’s are no more 🙁

The salsa is by far the best 29er I’ve owned. love it to bits. The top pic is its current set-up.

duckman

That swift looks familiar Shep 😀

Nowadays

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Another Salsa, this time with carbon Niner forks, Hope Hoops with Crests, Hope X2 brakes, SLX cranks. It’s a great bike, rides really well.

khani
    Free Member

El M, with Cromoto’s..

It’s dead good..

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

El mars are getting as common as jones’s now.

Mine might end up in the classifieds 🙁

Very nice duckman, Still yours?

neilneilorangepeel
    Free Member

My Singular Swift. Tried out lots of new things all at once, steel frame, 29 inch wheels, singlespeed and rigid. Love every aspect of it.

nosemineb
    Free Member

The salsa is by far the best 29er I’ve owned.

That is very good to hear. As ive never seen a jones thats pretty good to!

Notmyrealname i was sent that very same picture by a bike shop… That’s basically what i want mine to look like.

Some nice swifts to.

khani
    Free Member

El mars are getting as common as jones’s now.

Mine might end up in the classifieds

Oh yah, someone of your stature should be riding a ti fat 650b unicycle at the very least..
    You’ve let yourself down, your family down, and worst of all you’ve let us down.. 😥
    I’ll give you twenty quid for it to save your shame…

fenred
    Free Member

Trusty ol’ inbred, had a few tweaks and changes since that pic, but you get the general idea….

duckman

Alas no shep, now with Bullheart’s brother in law, whispers…..I like the Cotic more….

Cheezpleez

[/url][/img]

Bregante

Untitled by redmancunian69, on Flickr

Clink

Snap

Smuzzy
    Free Member

Karate Monkey, just ace

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Notmyrealname i was sent that very same picture by a bike shop… That’s basically what i want mine to look like.

I can’t believe they nicked my photo 8)

The El Mar is a great bike, rides really well. The Niner forks are better than the Cro-Moto’s I originally had fitted.
    It’s getting more use at the moment than my fancy full-sus geared bike, probably due to the conditions as much as anything.
    I’ve just been out today to look at a Niner Air9 carbon frame and it’s probably the only frame I’d get rid of the El Mar for. You’ll not be disappointed with it.

jameso

“You’ll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands”

Never said that sort of thing about a bike before but I think it’ll outlast me. One of it’s many guises. Currently has ti forks, ti loops and bikepacking kit on, with gears –

Kal
    Free Member

My High Latitude, just gone from a Gary Fisher Rig to this and it’s superb, cracking frame…;)

Will be upgrading the wheels to Superstar ones when I get the spare cash!!!

ssboggy

Os bikes Blackbuck 2,only had it about 5 months but loving it

mugsys_m8

Looking really forward to getting my Surly Ogre built up for dual duties of MTB and family camping touring. Waiting for frame delivery and numerous packages!

tthew

Will be upgrading the wheels to Superstar ones when I get the spare cash!!!

Make sure you keep a few quid back to get them trued up after the first ride. (from experience)

Kal
    Free Member

Yeah the LBS will do em for me, he’s cheap as well!! 😉

Cheezpleez

Hey Clink, were you riding that at SSUK? Saw an identical Inbred/Swift fork combo and meant to say hello.

FWIW the two sets of Superstar wheels I’ve had were both better built than my near identical Hope Hoops

Clink

Hey Clink, were you riding that at SSUK? Saw an identical Inbred/Swift fork combo and meant to say hello.

Yep, that was me 😀

OCB
    Free Member

I *very* nearly went for an ElMar – but a Swift won out in the end.
    This has been posted before, but here’s the Swift’s cousin Gryphon up on the ‘moor.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Gryphon x 2 (with gears here).

phone 035 by jamesanderson2010, on Flickr

fr0sty
    Free Member

My race bike.
    Kona Unit. Paul Components, Tune, Middleburn, Niner, Formula, MtZoom

oosh

Candodavid
    Free Member

If I must

Kal
    Free Member

FWIW the two sets of Superstar wheels I’ve had were both better built than my near identical Hope Hoops

Cheers, yeah it was a choice between Hopes and Superstar, Superstar do I SS specific hub which takes normal cogs and as I’ve had Hopes in the past I thought I’d give Superstar a go!! 😉

epicyclo

Armstrong, 1930s, rod brakes, all steel, terrifying on technical stuff:

Sunbeam RR, 1932, all steel, start of the modern era IMO:

Surly Pugsley, 2010, but it cheats – it’s got alloy bits like rims, cranks, handlebars etc. Brilliant bike:

Avanti KISS 29er (in Oz), almost as good as a Singular:

TooTall
    Free Member

Steel, single speed, rigid. I made it better with some 1×9 love. Next will be a high volume front tyre and some disc brakes.

core

After some advice please guys?

I’m planning a steel 29er build, inbred frame, but I can’t decide whether to go slot or vertical dropout.

The slot dropout lets you ride ss, hub or dérailleur rear. The vertical standard gears only, but has ISCG 05 mounts on BB.

I was thinking single front ring, 7 or 8 speed rear mech. Quite fancy the slot dropout version as it’s available in the sand colour, and gives options for the future, but how important is a chain device going to be , and will a seat tube type be good enough if I go for the slot frame, or are you better off with ISCG 05 given my current plan?

Cheers,

Sam

Cheezpleez

Why a 7/8 speed mech? Isn’t it quite hard to get decent quality gear in 7/8 speed these days? You should be able to pick up good second hand 9 speed fairly cheap.

If On-One are doing a slot dropout with a hanger then I’d go for that, given your plans. You can always get a BB-mounted chain guide if you need one. They work fine IME.

core

I’ll happily go 9 speed, was being thick!

There is a slot frame with mech hanger available.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Why a 7/8 speed mech? Isn’t it quite hard to get decent quality gear in 7/8 speed these days? You should be able to pick up good second hand 9 speed fairly cheap.

If On-One are doing a slot dropout with a hanger then I’d go for that, given your plans. You can always get a BB-mounted chain guide if you need one. They work fine IME.

+1

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Show me your Steel, Single speed, Rigid, 29ers. What you got?’ is closed to new replies.