Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • Show me your steel 29er's please.
  • fatladridesbikes
    Free Member

Why? Because it’s the end of the month and I’m bored at work looking for inspiration for the next project!

Clobber
    Free Member

My Buzzard is featured on here a couple of times…

clubber
    Free Member

Yet another Singular Swift

Oddly, all my mtbs are steel even though I don’t particularly think it’s the best material for mtbs. I don’t seem to break steel mtbs quite so much though 🙂

Mister-P
    Free Member

Although it now has XT tubeless wheels, silver XT crank and XTR callipers.

fatladridesbikes
    Free Member

What’s that Mister P?

takisawa2

My Niner.

IMAG0130 by pten2106, on Flickr

jameso

Mister-P
    Free Member

The frame is a Genesis Fortitude Race that I chucked Shimano bits at.

fatladridesbikes
    Free Member

I’m liking that 🙂

Must say though that the Buzzards are top of my list at the moment, unless anyone can convince me otherwise?

fatladridesbikes
    Free Member

Also does anyone know what changes are being made to the Swift for this new batch?

khani
    Free Member

My El Mariachi. Rigid SS

Forks and gears..

Clobber
    Free Member
    fatladridesbikes
    Free Member

Ooops. Didn’t spot that! 😳

jupiter
    Free Member

Would a Jones steel diamond with truss fork be suitable for a 5’9″ rider?
    I am just wondering if I could get the bars low enough with a truss fork, maybe have to use a negative rise stem. I should try and get a test ride, I think bothy bikes still have a demo. As jameso is a designer and owner of a Jones would like to know more about what he thinks make this bike work, is it the fork, bars and low bb height that make it. All nice bikes, shame the fortitude is no longer in production.

nordofjura
    Free Member

Foto0048 von nordofjura auf Flickr[/img]

singlecrack
    Free Member

Untitled by jerrypc69, on Flickr

jameso

Jupiter, I’d say so, plenty of 5-9 riders on them, between 5-6 and 6ft or so seems to be normal ideal range, but ask Jeff, he explains it well. Don’t try to set a Jones up like a ‘normal’ bike, it’s quite different. I’ve ended up with my bars a few inches higher than I would on other bikes and it seems like a win-win thing, no drawbacks (it’s now about 10-12mm higher than in the pic). I’d say geometry is the biggest part of what makes it work, then the fork and bars, then the frame type/material in that order.

I was looking at the new El Mariachi at a show recently, that’s a really nice bike.

ahwiles
    Free Member

jupiter
    Free Member

Thank you for the reply. I suppose what I would really like is a semi custom Jones, everything the same just with a 17″ or 16.5″ inch seat tube, a bit like drjons semi custom merlin Jones. Always ridden a 17″ frame and think the 18″ Jones may be little bit close when it comes to standover but only a test will sort that out. I do like that Fortitude and the Canfield.

Sam

fatladridesbikes – Member
    Also does anyone know what changes are being made to the Swift for this new batch?

Yes, I know quite well.

http://www.singularcycles.com/swifts-and-gryphons-get-a-re-vamp/

Any questions just shout

Paceman
    Free Member

Charge Cooker Rigid…

Bregante

Crap pic, great bike

Clink
    bikeneil
    Free Member

Medium Duck Egg Solaris.

benji
    Free Member

Pace RC129 running singlespeed but can also run gears

danielgroves
    Free Member

I should really get a better one as some point.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

coastkid
    Free Member

🙂

Monkey…

6th Sept 006 by coastkid71, on Flickr

And KramPug 29+

27th Aug Midweek cycle 036 by coastkid71, on Flickr

27th Aug Midweek cycle 039 by coastkid71, on Flickr

jonm81

Steel 29er with Rohloff

swavis
    ssboggy

My OS Bikes Blackbuck 2

fatladridesbikes
    Free Member

Cheers guys.

Some lovely looking bikes there. 😀

Keep em coming.

CheesybeanZ

cardo

Oh go on then.. my faithful On One Inbred

scotroutes

Another El Mariachi

IMAG0408 by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

Dunno why, but I just can’t fine teh “lurve” for this bike.

jaymoid

Here’s my charge cooker. I use it exclusively for the (largely off-road) commute so pardon the reflectors and lights.

I’ve been considering swapping out the fork for a rigid one because that fork is next to pretty useless. Does anyone have any cheap steel recommendations please?

Paceman
    Free Member

Jaymoid, I run my Charge Cooker 29er fully rigid and it’s great for blasting round the woods. Being rigid it keeps you on your toes but also benefits your riding skills no end. I’ve found it’s best run with a big high volume tyre on the front such as a 2.4 Ardent or Chunky Monkey if you need more grip. I’ve also ditched the front mech and chainrings to run it 1×9 which makes for a fantastic winter bike with loads of mud clearance and little maintenance to worry about.

franki
    Free Member

My Genesis Fortitude SS at Staple Edge, Forest Of Dean.

amplebrew

jupiter – Member
    Would a Jones steel diamond with truss fork be suitable for a 5’9″ rider?
    I am just wondering if I could get the bars low enough with a truss fork, maybe have to use a negative rise stem. I should try and get a test ride, I think bothy bikes still have a demo. As jameso is a designer and owner of a Jones would like to know more about what he thinks make this bike work, is it the fork, bars and low bb height that make it. All nice bikes, shame the fortitude is no longer in production.

I’m around 5ft 8 and have no issues with my Jones.

I’ve currently got a 100mm / 0 degree stem and a 20mm lay back post.

For reference, the tip of the seat to the centre of the stem is 52.5cm and the standover with Racing Ralph 29 x 2.25’s is roughly 71cm.

PICT3102 by Ample Brew, on Flickr

Farticus

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Show me your steel 29er's please.’ is closed to new replies.