Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Show me – your home cinema
  • Not expecting a big response from the hippies and yoghurt knitters on here, watching their 70’s CRT’s, however……

Anyone fancy showing their AV set-up’s? Primarily thinking big tv’s and mounting arrangement. Not slapped in the middle of a wall, 8ft in the air, chav stylee, but anyone made a feature – false chimney breast/recess etc?

wilsonthecat
    Free Member

Something like this?

Dummy chimney breast, recess was measured and spaced accordingly. Used louvered vents in the hole to provide ventilation. The av equipment was located below with the cables hidden in the voids.

Gettin the right type of mounting bracket was the biggest pain. I tried the L shaped swing brackets but in he end I just used a standard hook type.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Not expecting a big response from the hippies and yoghurt knitters on here, watching their 70’s CRT’s

I’d imagine people as you describe would probbly use LCDs as they use a lot less energy.

Oh, and to those posting pics, please also post yer addresses and home security details. Thanks. 😀

Yeah, wilson, on the right track, you are due a new tv though 😉 . Kef eggs too – look a funny angle though. I have the 2005.3’s. How did you hook your bracket on with such small tolerances?

wilsonthecat
    Free Member

Tv is around 4 years old,,although it still provides a better picture than most modern units which means I’m reluctant to get rid of it. The eggs I mounted by drilling through the stand bracket.

Moved house now, and I have gone back to a simple tv stand…. It doesn’t look anywhere near as neat and professional!

Fairy muff mate. Meant the tv bracket btw though

jon1973
    Free Member

Samsung 46″ LED TV
    Onkyo 5.1 Surround Sound
    PS3
    Tivo

donsimon
    Free Member

Are we talking about a proper home cinema?

Home-Cinema-Room por kala y simon, en Flickr
    Or just a big TV?

jon1973
    Free Member

Is that inside your dolls house don? 😉

sc-xc

Was it pedalhead who used to have a great big barn fully loaded?

Was talking big tv’s don, but ‘proper’ set-ups more than welcome. That’s awesome btw, with maybe the exception of the colour of the leather 😉

jon – can’t see your pic on my phone 🙁

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh no, I’m rockin’ the orange leather. Noice! 🙂

Cougar

yoghurt knitters

*applauds*

Do you want to see ‘room layout’ or ‘AV stack’ here?

iDave
    Free Member

<personally speaking>
    If I ever want a ‘home cinema’, I know it’s time to be dead.
    </personally speaking>

Any pics welcome Cougar. Of course there are some awesome set-ups on av forum, but interested in STW’ers

jon1973
    Free Member

jon – can’t see your pic on my phone

doh! forgot to share the photo. Should be OK now.

chalkstorm
    Free Member

Bought the house I am in now with a home cinema always in mind. Took a few years to slowly renovate the barn attached….built a room within a room – some photos here…

Renovation

Changed a fair bit since then – some more up to date photos here… in reverse(ish) order

Updated home cinema

Really should take some photos to do it justice.

Now it is running a 106″ electric screen and Hi Def (1080p) PJ, 7.1 Monitor Audio speaker system with a PS3/Foxsat HDR and Media PC serving up movies, TV and music.

Looking to sell the house at the moment – going to struggle to find anything comparable…. 😥

Can’t show any pics of mine at the moment, but have a (measly) 40″ Samsung LE40-A656 LCD on a stand, Sony BDP-S350 Blu-ray, Yamaha DSP ASX763 7.1 (only 5.1 used)Amp with HD decoder, KEF 2005.3 Speaker system, Sky HD and X-Box 360/Kinect.

Thinking of going 55″ 3D Smart TV wall mounted though.

*edit* Very nice chalkstorm

the-muffin-man

I’ll give you a box of All Gold, a selection box, and a bottle of sherry for your old Samsung! 😀

Deaky
    Free Member

This is my multi room set up

I can watch Satellite TV, Bluray, Apple TV, Playstation or local free view in the Lounge, Kitchen or Bedroom. Same source or different source in any combination of rooms

Lounge: Samsung 55″ C6000 LED TV, Canton CD100 Front, CD10 satellite, CD50 Centre, AS22 Sub

Kitchen: Samsung 40″ C6000 LED TV, Canton CD100 Front, CD10 satellite, CD50 Centre, Rel Quake Sub

Brain Room: From top down
    Netgear 24 port managed switch
    Philips RFX9600 Serial interface
    HUMAX FOXSAT HDR
    Samsung 5900 Bluray player
    Apple TV (on the right of the Bluray)
    Octavia 4 x 4 HDMI matrix
    DVDO iScan HD+ video processor
    Harmon Kardon AVR 255 (for the Lounge)
    Sonos ZP90’s for the lounge and kitchen (on the right of the amp)
    Harmon Kardon AVR 255 (for the Kitchen)
    Sony Playstation 2 (on the right of the amp)

This is the remote, fully programmable. Select the room and press one button and it will switch on all the appropriate components. Very wife friendly 😀

Nice set up (and pad) Deaky, but – a sub in the kitchen? 😯

M6TTF
    Free Member

Awesome set up there deaky – only thing I don’t like and it seems to crop up time and time again is screens above fireplaces. Obviously a room layout dictates available space, but once you’re sat down the screen is knowhere near eye level.

No pics of mine, only a 32″ tv as the lounge isn’t huge, could probably go 40″ max. Got B&W speakers all round and Cambridge audio amp and DVD player plus apple tv

Deaky
    Free Member

STR – Deffinitely a Sub in the kitchen 😛 We spend 90% of our time in there – It’s only a ikkle one though

M6TTF – I know what you mean about screens above fireplaces. I cut about 8″ off the height of the fire place in the picture, the bottom of the screen is about eye level when sat down. It’s comfortable to watch.

bobbyg81
    Free Member

My old flats setup. Not finished the new house system yet. Got rid of the ATCs to get some active monitors for music production so I’m starting again! Well after the new kitchen, bathroom and garden has been done!

takisawa2

Some impressive set-ups on AVForums, but this is particularly impressive… 🙂

Click

Click

TiRed

Normal mode

Cinema mode (about 20 seconds later…)

For those sad enough to care:
    Display
    42″ Pioneer plasma
    Beamax motorized screen (213x124cm 16:9) and old Sony LCD projector fed via 15m HDMI cable.

Source
    Humax Freesat PVR
    Sony DVP-S7700 (the beast!)
    Blackberry Playbook
    Wii
    PC
    (PS3 and Xbox when Son1’s friends call round)

Sound and video upscaling
    Onkyo TX-SR608 receiver with cheap HDMI splitter
    Sonus Faber Concertino and Home speakers
    Rel Sub

The receiver was really not first choice but it was the only one small enough to fit inside the cabinet on the left and comes with an HDMI input on the front. Being a Victorian property, the alcoves are too narrow to accommodate the plasma TV – hence above the fireplace (which is not used). Took a while to get used to it. Solid angle for the screen is my usual reference – stick arm out straight with thumb up and pinkie down. That’s the height of the image on the screen.

In the second picture you can just make out the glass from my Stands Unique AV10 glass rack (disassembled). Alcoves were too narrow so it’s on Ebay (item 330666598536) at the moment with no reserve. If anyone wants it, make me an offer.

PS sorry for the poor quality pictures, taken with cameraphone.

bobbyg81
    Free Member

Anyone for this monstrosity?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Show me – your home cinema’ is closed to new replies.