Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Show me your 29er XC hardtails please
  • bigsi
    Free Member

I’m going to be doing a few solo 12 hour races this year and am thinking of building myself something lighter than my current 33lb Mythic Paradox but need some inspiration/ideas.

Currently thinking of a Scandal as I’ve got a budget of circa £1000 excluding forks & brakes.

What are the rest of you using for general XC at the moment?

So lets see em please 8)

scud
    Free Member

Not very good pictures, but may give you an idea of what the raw Scandal frame looks like.

I love it, i’ve not really built it for XC racing though, actually go the forks at 120mm, pretty big tyres and actually got a Reverb seatpost on there since the pics.

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Using, abusing and generally loving to **** bits a medium niner EMD atm.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hugely versatile frame does pretty much anything I need from general XC to trail riding/jumping etc.

bigsi
    Free Member

Cheers for those guys.

Hadn’t considered the Niner 😕

tazzymtb

race these at enduros and use them for general riding up and down big hilly things

hmmmm looks just like the new one

and with a boingy frontage for bumpy courses or very long days in the saddle

naffrider
    Free Member

Mine was built on a budget, 350 or so for frame, fork, wheels and tyres, everything else was robbed from another bike. Love it.

Just before SITS solo, switched tyres obv :-]

During SITS solo :-]

tazzymtb

@ naffrider- How blinkin long is your gear cable loop to the rear mech, do you use is for snaring rabbits on the way past 😯

naffrider
    Free Member

Bad habit, rather have too much that too little then I’m not arsed in trimming it :-]

pop-larkin
    Free Member

lynskey by Larkin Pop, on Flickr

Just swapped to a rigid front- hope I wont die!!

bobsoff2
    Free Member

I Just don’t get this Fashion/Jurno/industry driven 29er crap…
    What next “Suckers”, Penny Fartings ? (or SingleSpeeds ??) 😆

pop-larkin
    Free Member

And a collection of wagon wheelers

IMG00156-20111203-1123 by Larkin Pop, on Flickr

tazzymtb

@ pop, jeebus what is that collection on tat, I’m surprised the dead didn’t rise from that cemetery and eat your brains for such an affront to cycling

EDIT. and WTF is that thing with shopping bars on it and did someone nick it’s basket 🙄

pop-larkin
    Free Member

tazzy – its some scaffold tubed niche attention seeking common bike!!

tazzymtb

bet it’s ridden by some beardy freak as well

the-muffin-man

Diamondback Mojito…

chainslapp
    Free Member

Have the hinges fell off the gate nearest the camera?? 😯

TooTall
    Free Member

One of the original ScandALs. A great bike.

Bazz

New Scandal

pop-larkin
    Free Member

The one closest to the camera is ‘ the lesser spotted chainslapp’s bike out on the chase’- it is so rare an occurrence Davey boy Attenborough is being cajoled into producing a series tracking it down!!

Are you out early saturday you big gaylord??

clubber
    Free Member

Singular Swift. Not the lightest but a fantastic ride.

chainslapp
    Free Member

Pop he’s all yours! I’ll kick him out Saturday I’m all Chainslapped out and need a break, please keep him all day – Mrs Chainslapp x

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Mrs Slapp
    I only want him for the morning so you will have to get rid of the milkman about 12.30 ish
    Pop xx

chainslapp
    Free Member

Milkman will be long gone by then, it will be postman that will have to leave early!

bigsi
    Free Member

Had several swifts & where as they are a great bike they are just too heavy for what I’m after.

Like the idea as a salsa but the new scandal in black is pretty. 😀

tazzymtb

Bigsi- having owned 2 scandal 29ers Normal and a prototype thingy up there and a salsa, I’d go for a salsa any day, just a much nicer ride and geometry. The scandals are good, but there are a few too many rough edges and niggles in the handling.

tazzymtb

are you coming out then slappy? If so I shall invite Jim to keep you and pop and picto company on the climbs whilst a small baldy man on a pink bike makes me hurt in preparation for our 2012 SS riding fast antics 😥

Lynskey Ridgeline 29SL at Bristol Oktoberfest 8 hour solo.

bigsi
    Free Member

Cheers Tazzy. I’ve always liked the look of the Salsa’s. Which one is that you’ve got up there?

tazzymtb

I’ve got the selma scandium with a carbon bottom, you can find the odd one of new old stock kicking about for decent money, lovely bike, really, really like the new Ti version of it as well as that’s lush

grant

Slot dropout Scandal, running a 1×9 SRAM setup and Reba’s up front.

weeksy

bonesetter
    Free Member

^ How are you finding your Giant?

weeksy

Great once i fitted slightly higher bars. The bike was weighed in the shop at 11.96kg which i was happy with, running
    a pair of Bonty Mud-x and like them. Can’t really fault the bike in all honesty, went back and tried
    the flat bars again, but they’re just not ‘me’.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Coincidence – out on today’s ride and came across a rider ‘trying’ the carbon version, which I had a quick spin on… pedaled nice and snappy. Thought the HTA was a little steep for my riding/liking, but very well built frame – the box section DT was humungus

ajr
    Free Member

]null[/url]

El Comandante Ultimate

hoojum
    Free Member

2010 Lynskey Ridgeline 29sl

bullheart
    Free Member

Vassago Jabberwocky.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

rather looking forward to actually riding this next year!

kazafaza
    Free Member

My Banshee Paradox: 120mm hc xc machine, SLX double and ks900r since the pic taken

Trek Marlin 8S: started as a ss but it helps to have some gears;)

collie
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Show me your 29er XC hardtails please’ is closed to new replies.