• This topic has 70 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by dbone.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Show me you new style SLX cranks, preferably 1x setup
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

After a few real time pics of the newest slx m670 cranks please, attached to a bike preferably in 1x guise if you may!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Somebody must have some setup 1x out there?

oxym0r0n

Look at pictures of latest surly krampus – I think they come stock with slx single

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ratherbeintobago

Looks like an M670 triple with the single ring on the middle and a bash on the big ring.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Ohhhhhhhhh looks quite nice would be nice to see it without the bash though cranks look a bit xtr’ esque, and dare I say it nicer than xt

majorspaniel

mangatank
    Free Member

There is a difference between this seasons XT and SLX in both materials and performance. I was never really happy with the way my SLX crankset shifted. Switching to XT made all those niggles go away. The SLX chainrings are pressed out of steel, whereas the XTs are milled out of aluminium. The visual difference is pretty stark, with XT jumping out as higher-end and SLX looking mass produced. The crank arms on the SLX are nicely shaped, but have a printed shading towards the bottom bracket. This fading is achieved with a 70’s comic style dot gradient. To my eyes it makes an otherwise elegant crank arm look ‘budget’. Others may like the effect of course!

One final point. I rode with SLX in the morning before fitting the XT in the afternoon and heading out on the same loop. If you value looks over performance, then go for the SLX. Otherwise, the XT is better in every way. Incidentally I’m running a full SLX groupset. The rear clutch derailleur, brakes and gears are all excellent. The front mech is good but not great. I’d say the general performance (other than the crankset), is in the region of 2006ish XT.

remoterob
    Free Member

The SLX triple has aluminium outer and middle rings.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Hmmmm Id only be running it 1x so it reall wouldn’t matter about the ring weights etc

Surely there can’t be that much difference in performance from crank arms?

I’m now running a slx clutch instead of a xt clutch mech (broke!) and I can’t really tell any difference what so ever

mangatank
    Free Member

Shimano aren’t the only ones out there of course. Middleburn have been busy:

Middleburn external BB cranks

10 speed of course!

steve_b77
    Free Member

To be honest having had both XT and SLX doubles on my bikes recently I can offer these opinions:

1, Black XT cranks have a terribly soft anodised finish that rubs off very easliy and leave the cranks looking a bit messy. SLX don’t.

2, There is next to bugger all difference in shifting or weight, and they’re just as stiff as one another too.

Just make sure you buy a tripple crank set as you’ll struggle to get anything smaller than a 34t chainring in the outter position on the double crank as the tabs on the arms protrude and catch the chain on a 32t

mlbasiliere
    Free Member

I’ve got the ‘double’ version on my singlespeed. 5g heavier than carbon SL-K set and almost exactly the same weight as XT. Stiff enough for my little legs, anyways.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Would a 32t fit OK with the double if a bash ring was fitted do you know?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Nope, the tabs catch the chain as the teeth only just clear

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Just file the arms to fit a 32T – it’s easy.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

wow that pic above looks mint – will the triple one not look like that with a single ring on then?

mojo5pro
    Free Member

Calm down dear …they’re just cranks! 😯

I_Ache
    Free Member

Can you not fit a 1mm spacer behind the spider to give the chain enough clearance on a 32t? It wouldn’t really affect the chainline.

I can’t believe Shimano have been this daft.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I_Ache – Member

Eh? When they produce a single ring specific crankset in the form Zee / Saint that come as 34t as their smallest option, I reckon you’re not meant to run a 32t and file the tabs

ali69er
    Free Member

I am looking at this, but wonder if I have the legs for a 1x setup, I currently run a triple, do I also need a short cage rear mech?

Sorry to hijack

I_Ache
    Free Member

What if you don’t want/need the extra weight of the zee/saint but you still want to use a 32t single ring? Why are they being daft and making it so people can’t do what they want? If I can’t fit the chainring that I want then I will be looking elsewhere for some new cranks.

What exactly is wrong with wanting to put a 32t ring on a set of cranks?

patriotpro
    Free Member

Agreed, a major oversight in this day of customisation and single-ring use.

Just found this though where they are using a 30t (albeit with RF cranks) but it does state they use offset tabs in order to remedy potential chain-rub on rings smaller than 34t.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Race-Face-Narrow-Wide-Chainring-Tested-2013.html

ratherbeintobago

Would a 32t fit OK with the double if a bash ring was fitted do you know?

Presumably you’d want the triple if you’re fitting a bash?

Nope, the tabs catch the chain as the teeth only just clear

Even without a bash?

Now thoroughly confused…

kayak23

I’ve got an untouched set of the M675 double cranks sat at home which I had intended to fit tonight 1×10 with my 32t ring.
    Would appreciate if anyone can confirm that you can definitely not fit a 32t ring, else they’ll be going back… 😕

mtbtomo
    Free Member

The SLX triple is sub-£100, the double more like £120 if that makes a difference.

The new double has shaped tabs that don’t look as though they’re intended to have anything fitted to them on the outside face – bash, outer ring or anything. If you want to fit a 32t chainring, then as pointed out the extended shaped tabs might clash with the chain, or at least prevent you getting a chain guide low enough over the chain.

I struggle to get my chain guide low enough on my XT triple run as a single and that’s with a 34T.

The old style SLX double was the one intended to take a bash ring. The new doubles are more trail/xc set up.

I would think the triple is the one you want and definitely if you want to fit a bash ring.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Just file the arms to fit a 32T – it’s easy.

Thought of this but i’m not into diy.

I’ve got the ‘double’ version on my singlespeed. 5g heavier than carbon SL-K set and almost exactly the same weight as XT. Stiff enough for my little legs, anyways.

Does the FSA ring you have offset tabs?

Just make sure you buy a tripple crank set as you’ll struggle to get anything smaller than a 34t chainring in the outter position on the double crank as the tabs on the arms protrude and catch the chain on a 32t

What fat/skinny are you using?

kamenev
    Free Member

Has anyone tried a 32t on the Zee chainset? a user review on MTBR seems to suggest you can ( I would post the link but I’m on my mobile).

kayak23

News just in from Evans Cycles is that the above is correct. You can NOT fit a 32t ring to the M675 double cranks.
    Darn!
    🙁

patriotpro
    Free Member

[/quote]News just in from Evans Cycles is that the above is correct. You can NOT fit a 32t ring to the M675 double cranks.

What ring though? They’re not all the same.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

@Patriotpro – I don’t think it matters which ring – its the general diameter of a 32T chainring and the proximity it will put the chain in relation to the chainring tabs on the crank arm.

kayak23

Yeah, a 104bcd ring.
    The only exception is possibly the Raceface narrow/wide ones as I think they use an offset, though that may only be on the 30t

patriotpro
    Free Member

If a 30t RF nw works with a 104bcd, which we know it does because of the simple offset tabs, then all they need to do is fit the same tabs to a 32t.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Another way of looking at it is; the double chainsets have a slightly different chain line on the both the inner and outer rings that puts the outer just beyond an normal triple ring middle ring position and the inner just inside it / outside the normal triple granny ring position.

Therefore a triple ring crankset is the best option for achieving the optimal chainline if you’re opting for a single ring set up, that or buy a single ring specific crank set.

AFAIK a 33t will clear the tabs, but only just.

Or get a SRAM crank with a spider that allows you to fit bling rings and such like down to 28t (I think)

kayak23

patriotpro – Member
    If a 30t RF nw works with a 104bcd, which we know it does because of the simple offset tabs, then all they need to do is fit the same tabs to a 32t.

Or use some washers to space it out…

Having said that, I’m sending back my doubles M675 and getting the triples… M670

patriotpro
    Free Member

I’m a fussy bleeder and the thought of bodging it with washers makes me shudder 😀

trap6
    Free Member

less than £68 online at Ribble cycles at the mo,triple/double,

kayak23

Oscillate Wildly – Member
    After a few real time pics of the newest slx m670 cranks please, attached to a bike preferably in 1x guise if you may!

Just fitted mine. Sweet as….

Bagstard
    Free Member

I’m currently running a 32t Renthal ring on new saint cranks with no issue.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

33t on a zee and fine

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

kayak – i fitted mine last night too, i took the plunge and got some, would be rude not to at that price!

i managed to get some helitape on the most part and it went on a treat, with no bubbling or anything, its not noticeable, god bless the biketart heli tape!

i must say they feel just as stiff as my xt’s and they look IMO much better, if you glance across at them briefly you can mistake them for XTR…..mmmmmmm xtr cranks 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Show me you new style SLX cranks, preferably 1x setup’ is closed to new replies.