Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Should I upgrade my original Lumi Halogen LED conversion to XPGs?
  • glenh
    Free Member

Now the XPGs are available, I could upgrade my old XREs and get 60% more lumen/W.

Is it worth it or are lights these days just getting too bright? 600 lumen always seemed plenty. Do I really need 1000+?

Junkyard
    Free Member

depends do you need scorched earth?
    I would wait a year personally as what you have is perfectly fine at present and next year everything will be cheaper again.
    I use 750 lumens but happily ride with my 500 lumen one on occasions.
    I think lacking some view adds to the fun. 1000 lumen + is IMHO overkill.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Yes. But when you have 1000 you'll want more. I was up to 2700 for MM but that seemed excessive. Back down to 1600 for SiTS but I felt inadequate. Maybe 3400 next year 😯

kinda666
    Free Member

Yeah go for it, I've got a 35mm triple Xpg board and cute optic for a Lumi Hid housing i aquired, and a 20mm board to upgrade my dinotte on the way from Oz, Bflex dropped through the door from taskled yesterday!

aracer
    Free Member

It's not a straight swap is it? XP-Gs surely require a different optic (having a larger die size), otherwise your beam pattern will get far wider.

DaveGr
    Free Member

How easy/fiddly is converting to LED's using the Lumi can as I'm thinking of doing it? If it's generating more lumens will that generate more heat and if so will the can act sufficiently as a heat sink?

kinda666
    Free Member

Need the cute optics as listed on the cutter site! Think there are only 2 types available though!
    Hope they are tighter than the xpe 20mm carlco optics as the narrow is around 16 degrees!

kinda666
    Free Member

DaveGr – Member
    How easy/fiddly is converting to LED's using the Lumi can as I'm thinking of doing it? If it's generating more lumens will that generate more heat and if so will the can act sufficiently as a heat sink?

Thread about it here!
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/considering-ordering-leds-from-cutter-anybody-else-fancy-splitting-postage

glenh
    Free Member

It's easy if you have experience with electronics. If not, it might be a bit tricky (but not impossible).

And yes aracer, a new optic is required, but is available from cutter along with the LEDs mounted on the backing plate, just as for the XPEs that are in there currently:

Vortexracing

did you use a heatsink/heat transfer of any type?

and yip kinda666, thats my thread, i think I have sorted a heatsink design out, but it's not possible to fit one in with the cheap driver cutter have in the budget kit. The bflex driver they offer is a different matter that should fit but is alot more dosh.

additionally thanks to troutie he has spotted a different driver that will fit with the budget kit.

just need to get the heatsinks made now.

do the XPG generate more heat?

glenh
    Free Member

No heat sinks other than the lumi can itself.

The LED backing plate is a tightish fit in the can and has thermal paste on it. The can gets warm quite quickly when on full power (and not moving), so the heat transfer can't be that bad. They stay cool when riding and I've not had any problems in 2 years.

p.s. XPGs will generate much less heat than XREs for the same light output, or slightly less for the same current

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Should I upgrade my original Lumi Halogen LED conversion to XPGs?’ is closed to new replies.