Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Should I move for a 1 year job secondment?
  • Kevevs
    Free Member

Difficult one. Only you know your own job/career and what you want/would gain in that respect. If you haven’t lived in London, and it’s only for a year, then why not? lots to see and do. I can see how it is an interesting opportunity where you are in your life right now. (sun’s out, aren’t u supposed to be MTBing ❓ )

Clover

Hmmm, I would say yes. Your job might be reorganised whether you stay or go – but if the year’s secondment will give you more experience and make you more employable then you need to do it. The world of work is not cosy at the moment.

I’d go for the East End (although it’s gone posh since I left) – you’re out to Epping in the east and most of Central London is cycle commutable.

You meet the best people in London – that bit I loved. There are just so many people that you’re never the strangest or most exotic (great if you’ve always felt that you stick out like a sore thumb – and weird when you move on again and realise that yes, you do).

MSP

You meet the best people in London

Your having a laarf, London is inhabited by the most arrogant, self centred, ignorant, rude and obnoxious people in all of humanity, its even worse than Paris

ART

Ahh choices; you’re actually quite lucky to have them! Am I right in thinking from previous threads that you work for CCW? Government is always busily reorganising itself but you are right to be thinking ahead to the implications for your future work given the way things are going. First and foremost (if I were you) I would be looking very carefully at the T&Cs of the secondment, and make sure you have as good an idea as is possible what the role will entail and the likely experience etc. I’m guessing it’s a policy/ research role in which case potentially quite exciting and as you say lots of experience in terms of career development. Having previously done something similar in a central gov dept & agency with lots of time in London, it’s true to say that there is a certain excitement around being ‘at the centre’ and seeing how things work and get done. Secondments can also take you to new places which may mean that you won’t want to go back to your old role.

That said, the cautionary tales above are worth heeding, and so I would want to have established the terms of your role on return. You need think about what you would be prepared to accept, and to be realistic about the chances that you may end up in an ‘equivalent’ role (which is usually all that the civil service is required to provide you with) rather than the current one that you enjoy. Again that’s the pessimistic view, as with your year’s experience it’s likely that you could return and develop a more interesting post.

I’m also of the view that where you live is incredibly important to your wellbeing, and like you I need countryside, and in my ideal world proper mountains (still working on that one!) But you are open to the idea of time in the City and would therefore probably really enjoy the contrasts, and it will make trips to the hills all the more special. Plus it’s one year, and in a new role that will fly by. As I said, relish the fact that you have the choice and make the one that feels right. Good luck! 🙂

geebus
    Free Member

You may find all three of clean / green / safe as well as being affordable a bit of a push – suspect it’s a case of having to forgo one to get the others; but may be able to compromise on all a little bit :).

TheBrick
    Free Member

I think you’re getting hung up on the accommodation costs, yes it may seem expensive compared to north Wales but there are quite a few people living in London on pretty normal money.

posh Fulham for 180 p/w

http://www.gumtree.com/p/flats-houses/fulham-dream-for-12-girls-preferably/87386240

Finsbury park / highbury. Good interesting area even better transport links, park near by.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/flats-houses/two-rooms-for-house-share-in-luxurious-arty-victorian-three-bed-finsbury-park-highbury-islington/90527551

You can find stuff for much cheaper too but you sound fussy…

charliedontsurf

its only for a year… suck it and see.

But I know where I would go. How much is a pint in Llamberis? and in Soho?

rOcKeTdOg

Elfinsafety – Member

have you been to London? i’d do anything i could to avoid visiting let alone live there

Yeah, of course you would, you’d never come here,ever, eh?

What an utter hypocrite.

i base my opinions on actual experience, unlike others on here you twit. if you are an example of the type of person Sue W will meet i’d advise her to run in the opposite direction quickly, again this is based on experience, only on STW though seeing as you usually bang on about how you’re the same on here as in real life

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

if you are an example of the type of person Sue W will meet i’d advise her to run in the opposite direction quickly, again this is based on experience

You’ve never met me. Sue has. She knows me, you don’t. How about that, eh? 😆

Please be quiet now you’re just embarrassing youself. 🙄

rOcKeTdOg

is that the best retort you can come up with?, you’ve fallen even lower in my estimation now

we met at the first BBB, but i gave you the benefit of the doubt then

anto164
    Free Member

Yes

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

we met at the first BBB

So you have said before.

I, however do not recall such a meeting, and think it’s possible you may well have seen me and been in complete awe, but are sadly too bland and inconsequential for me to remember. Sorry, but that’s how it is. 😐

So, unless you have something constructive to say other than the negative ignorant crap you usually come out with, please be quiet. I’m sure Sue does not in any way want or appreciate such unhelpful negativity.

Thanks.

X

TheBrick
    Free Member

But I know where I would go. How much is a pint in Llamberis? and in Soho?

Probably cheap in North Wales, but there is a nice same smiths pub (Jon Snow) in Soho, but I’m now living on Hampshire / Dorset boarder and am finding the beer as expensive and sometimes more than the pubs in London.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

London, whilst sometimes expensive, does at least have a veritable cornucopia of food and drink on offer. And day to day living apart from accommodation costs needunt cost any more than anywhere else in the UK really. A bit of foraging about will unearth some proper good eateries which won’t cost a small mortgage.

If you really want to spend money though, guaranteed you will find somewhere willing to relieve you of all your hard-earned. It’s a myth that London is universally expensive though. Trust me; I’m proper potto yet still manage to have a good time. 😀

I’d go for the East End (although it’s gone posh since I left)

😮 Fear not for I am still keeping it suitably scrotey and scummy. 😀

Elfinsafety; Lowering house prices since nineteen seventy two.

br
    Free Member

If its the cost of living, put a case together and ask your company if they’d be willing to meet you half-way?

Or tbh since they can expense it (relocation up to 2 years), ask for the lot.

Kevevs
    Free Member

FWIW I thought ARTs post was genuinley thoughtful and informative about stuff I don’t know before it descended into the usual crap.

geebus
    Free Member

but there are quite a few people living in London on pretty normal money.

posh Fulham for 180 p/w
    I’m paying £220 per MONTH in Yorkshire, and that’s all inclusive!.. though there was a bit of bargaining involved in that.

But where I taking a Job in London I’d certainly be going for a job that pays a bit more (am self employed at the moment, so stuff’s a bit different) and would appreciate that part of what I’m paying for is being within a tube ride of many good things (be it clubs, cinemas, shops or massive metropolitan parks.)

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Should I move for a 1 year job secondment?’ is closed to new replies.