Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Should I keep my '98 Klein Attitude 'Old Skool' or give it a refresh?!
  • megastream
    Free Member

I've got a custom build Klein Attitude which is pretty much in perfect condition. It's full XTR with 98 SID's.

I fancy getting out on a hard tail again for the winter and was wondering if I should start to swap out some of the kit with new bits. First up would be a new set of SID World Cups.

Before I start to dismantle this classic I thought I'd ask you guys for an opinion…..should I do it or keep as-is for prosperity sake (and the rise in value of a vintage classic)

schmiken

Bikes are supposed to be ridden – why not wear out the parts you've already got on there?

nuke

This is my still used 1999 Klein Attitude….

I went for light and rigid for all year. Biggest problem in the winter is the sound of the v-brakes grinding away. Doesn't get used that often but still fun to ride when it does and very fast.

ampthill

You'll be hard pressed to buy a fork thats the same length even at 80mm travel.

I'd try riding it and then possibly try a more modern bar and stem if it feels a bit low at the front,,,,,

clubber
    Free Member

You can easily shorten the travel on an air fork just by fitting a longer top out bumper.

I'd just fit what you want to it. iirc 98 Kleins were Trek ones so they're not going to be high value for any retro fans.

PLUGGER
    Free Member

keep it old skool.

baldSpot
    Free Member

old skool rulez fool 🙂

westkipper
    Free Member

Trek owned Klein at that point, but they were still designed and built by Gary's Chehalis factory. It was a few years later that production moved to Wisconsin, before TREK KILLED KLEIN!!, THE BAST***S!.
    I'm having the same dilemma, I dont really have room for my Klein and getting a modern suspension fork for it is impossible, but every time I look at the lustrous paint I get second thoughts about getting rid.
    If you keep it, get some flat bars and a light saddle -Kleins weren't meant to be easy-listenin' bikes 🙂

Curly68
    Free Member

Keep it as is. I would love an old skool Klein.

Coasting
    Free Member

Throw a 100m fork on the front and make sure u take the steerer spacers out.Will be brilliant bike,thats what ive done and i still think this is one of the best frames eva made

OldGitSurrey
    Free Member

K-E-E-P I-T ! ! ! !

crazy-legs

Can't you just get the current forks serviced/repaired?

I know what you mean, I've got a 1998 Saracen Kili Ultra Ti which is an amazing bike, full XTR and 1st generation CrossMax wheels. OK, none of it is actually original kit it came with but it still looks nicely retro and I'd hate to have to change anything on it.

westkipper
    Free Member

Any fork with an axle to crown of more than approx. 445mm will ruin the handling of Klein that age.

shaggy

My view would be that it's a classic for a reason- it's nicely made and rides in a certain way. If you like the way it rides, ride it! As other people have said, and IIRC, it's Trek built, that means it's not so desirable for a proper retro-head. I'm sure the price won't go through the roof. I'd say it's a good example of a practical classic. '98 Sids are a PITA because they are service heavy. If I was riding it a lot I'd change them as well. Personally I'd use some Pace rigid forks, but if you are set on suspension anything 60mm should be fine.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Klein are the shizzle. Your bike is great Nuke.

crikey
    Free Member

The bestest bike.

Putting longer forks on, even fancy Fox jobbies, spoiled it. Keep it mean, keep it keen!

juiced
    Free Member

keep it. looks superb.

mrfrosty
    Free Member

Is 98 old school ?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Should I keep my '98 Klein Attitude 'Old Skool' or give it a refresh?!’ is closed to new replies.