Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Should i buy a bmx?
  • lyons
    Free Member

Ive recently started to ride dirt jumps again… Im doing some reasonably big ones now, and have a good quality, dedicated dirt jump bike. But ive started riding with bmx-ers now, and they just seem to find it so much easier to clear the jumps… I find that i'm hitting them much quicker to make it through… I had a little go on one today, just on some small jumps, and it just felt wierd. But should i persevere?

carlphillips
    Free Member
    jedi

yes deffo.
    i ride park not djs but everything requires less speed on bmx compared to mtb

lyons
    Free Member

Yeah, i think t would make sense… why do you say the trails near you are just for BMX? ut of interest… Theres some very good trails near me which ive been told if i turn up on a mtb, ill just be chased away from them… 🙁

WHat should i be looking for in a good dirt bmx? I thought about a 24 inch cruiser as it may be easier to adjust…

jedi

trails built by bmxers keep them bmx only

tails
    Free Member

A lot of bmxers are a bit set back and primitive so won't let you ride there jumps. I would look straight at fit bike co complete range think the trail range are titled trl. A quick look shows the top of the line to be a mike aitken or chase hawk signature model then there is a trl 1, 2 and 3.

jedi

not true, most bmx built trails have a spade policy where you dig for a couple of months before you ride so you give back to the trails

tails
    Free Member

not true, most bmx built trails have a spade policy where you dig for a couple of months before you ride so you give back to the trails

what a grand way to put any rider off, especially young'uns. Dig and ride but not just dig. Sounds similar to surfers mentality, where by they think it's their wave.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

what a grand way to put any rider off, especially young'uns. Dig and ride but not just dig. Sounds similar to surfers mentality, where by they think it's their wave.

Blah blah blah. Do you think they actually care about encouraging youngsters/the sport and all that bullshit.

Perhaps they just want to build and ride their jumps in the woods, sounds fair enough to me.

jedi

actually the young ones who actually want to learn do it and come out with a respect for stuff

tails
    Free Member

Blah blah blah. Do you think they actually care about encouraging youngsters/the sport and all that bullshit.

tis a true statement, shame though as you would like to think that people are not so silly as to discriminate against wheel size 😆

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Dont know where the discrimination stems from really, most trails seem to be ridden by people on big and little bikes. You do sometimes hear of horror stories of mtbers damaging trails though.

I think the no dig no ride policy is fine if thats what you feel. People seem to want something for nothing alot of the time. If you really want to ride some jumps then build your own, no excuses about not having time etc, Im sure alot of trail builders have a full time job, wife/gf/kids etc.

Over winter we usually try and build two nights a week at our trails, keeps things ticking over. The no dig no ride policy is not enforced there though.

Oh, buy a bmx if you mainly ride trails or park or street since there easier and cheaper in the long run. You'll also get used to it pretty quick id imagine

Euro
    Free Member

fatmuthahubbard – that natural bowl looks like a real fun spot to ride.

I personally wouldn't get another bmx, for no other reason than it makes me go daft and try things I really shouldn't at my age. 😆 Rode one for 20+ years and have moved to the slighlty more sedate world of MTB. It's easier to throw a bmx about but I go a little slower over the jumps at my local trails than the guys on the bmxs.

On the subject of building/riding. We don't enforce the 'no dig – no ride' rule, but those who lift a spade to help are welcomed back and those who don't are given verbal abuse in the hope that the next time they turn up, they are shamed into chipping in.

I openly encourage the younger lads into the sport as I know how much fun it can be and the old cliché about 'keeping me out of trouble' as a teenager rings true for me. Some are keen to ride and build, which is great as I can put my foreman hat on and make the young pups do the manual labour.

mamadirt
    Free Member

I personally wouldn't get another bmx, for no other reason than it makes me go daft and try things I really shouldn't at my age. Rode one for 20+ years and have moved to the slighlty more sedate world of MTB.

I've just bought another for that very reason 😉 . Growing old and sedate scares me. Certainly not planning crazy stuff, but they're just so much damn fun, take up no space at all and cost burger all (compared to mtbs) – what's not to like? Do it!!

jedi

high5 mamadirt!!

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Get one! But start small and build up to jumping bigger stuff to avoid thinking you can jump it on your Dirtbike so you must be able to jump it on your new BMX.

If you'd posted this a few days ago I could have pointed you in the direction of a sweet United custom which was being sold on Ebay by a mate – only went for £245 in the end – I expected it to go for a lot more.

Age thing is a load of old nonsense. I'm with MamaDirt!

Euro
    Free Member

Fair play Mama, hope you have fun on it.

Age thing is a load of old nonsense.

May be nonsense to you young Bushwacked, but parts of my body canny take too much more abuse. Every time I jump on a bmx, my brain seems to disengage so in an effort to prolong my 2-wheeled fun, I scrapped the ole girl and got a 26" jump bike. Could probably still do most the tricks I used too on the wee bike on the MTB – but I've trained my brain to let it go.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Euro – I wouldn't say I'm a young 'un, I'm the wrong side of 35 but loving it all the same and I'm one of the youngest guys out of a group of us who ride.

kimbers

what about helmets?

do people pad up

do i need to get a pisspot or is my gyro hex ok?

or should i wear the full face

i had a good mess around at the wee drayton bmx track yesterday

was ace but tiring and even on my 24" was a mare cycling the 5k each way there

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I wear a pisspot, Elbow pads, two ankle supports, shin guard and knee pads.

Started off just wearing Knee, elbows and helmet, but after a few injuries and scraps realised I needed more.

I know a lot of people who wear a full face

I should add I'm talking about riding Park rather than racing, but I suppose the advice rings true for Dirt as well.

lyons
    Free Member

Those trails that fatmotherhubbard posted look brilliant. I'd love to ride there… Well, i think i will give it a go, but ill have sell a few bits first. HAve any of you seen/ridden at Hare field bmx jumps? they are a true work of art…

chvck
    Free Member

I find it easier to dirt jump on a bmx, though oddly find it hurts a lot more to fall off one if you don't bail cleanly! I bought a bmx on a whim and was going to sell it until I start dirt jumping on it, definitely won't be selling it now :).

I wear my normal XC lid and shin/knee pads as I have a habit of hitting them on stuff if I come off!

kimbers

so anyone ridden bay sixty6 skate park in west london

i am really bad will all the young uns laugh me out the house?

Jezkidd
    Free Member

Yes, of course you should.

Ps, are you coming to the pub tonight?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Kimbers – Wanted to but not yet – just near my office in London.

Where you located?

kimbers

am in chiswick about 15 min bmx ride away!

jedi

im 41 this year and 8months ago started learning vert

you're never too old

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Kimbers, how much do you ride?

lock
    Free Member

it sounds like an old boy session/road trip needs to be sorted out,

prob want be as wild as some of the road trip vids ive seen but could be a laugh,we could hit differant skate parks early before all the youngens are out of bed and talk about all our injuries and aching body parts 😆

MS
    Free Member

Got a BMX for sale if interested mate.

Havent put it in classifieds just yet but will do it soon.

Mail me if interested.

lyons
    Free Member

MS -ive sent you an email…

I was looking in a bmx shop earlier, and he reccomended a couple fo Hoffman bikes, in the 4 to 5 hundred pund range… Reckon they are worth a look. I think they were called 'scarabs'.

He also said that wethepeople bikes were very good, and another brand i cant remember, both of which he is getting in…

He also had a 24inch 'cruiser' type bike, which got me thinking, maybe that would be easier to adjust to? OR would it be too much of a comprimise?

Andy

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I'd recommend speaking to Dave at Radbmxshop.co.uk

lyons
    Free Member

buchwacked- that is actually the one i went into… He seemed very helpful. It was pure chance, as i went to buy a mattock, and the bloke in the tool shop asked what it was for, so when i told him, he mentioned that shop. I never knew it existed before.

jedi

stodgy from radbmx 🙂

lyons
    Free Member

sorry jedi, im not sure what you mean?

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Stodgy is his username at Radbmx.com – its not a "in joke" or anything.

And he's probably the best source of info for an old fart getting back into bmx. I suspect a lot of older bmx'ers have mtb's and wouldnt be surprised if they surface here too.

I must admit, I;ve delved right back into bmx, as a 50 yo – but in a very retro way – I;ve got 3 Diamond Backs from the early 80's including a silverstreak – and the kids go mad for it when I'm out – wondering who the old fart on the cool old school bike is. Always being stopped and asked about it, and been offered serious money for it on a couple of occaiosn, but I keep it as a "rider" picked up out of gumtree, and picked up old school parts mainly from rad, ebay and the DB website for old school bikes os-db.net

Now, if you turn up on a Harry LEary Turbo, I'll be *very* impressed, for for christ sake don't start jumping big air on it!

lyons
    Free Member

im not an oldy myself… only 22.

juiced
    Free Member

Just got myself a little bmx, within the last week. First proper trip was too Harrow Skatepark last weekend. Was wet and a little slippery but I gave it some. Great fun. There's loads of skateparks everywhere!

lyons
    Free Member

I brought one today to answer my own question! I got a deluxe frame, with Sunday forks, and other average parts… I bought the frame, bb and h/set from the guy in Rad bmx, he had actually been using them for 2 weeks, but decided to change. I went on a very quick ride today, and it feels wierd but good. Looking forward to riding it more… It just need a decent set of wheels now…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Should i buy a bmx?’ is closed to new replies.