Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Shorts – for all day riding/touring?
  • Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Jumping on the ‘shorts’ bandwagon here as I see there’s a few other posts, so while we’ve all still got our brains in our trousers …

What’s a good pair of shorts, or short liners, for all day riding and touring?

I read, or heard, somewhere that it’s not a good thing to have man-made nylon type materials on all day due to sweat and bacteria build up which could lead to heat rash or sores, so what else can you use, any thoughts?

Could it be something as simple as a pair of cotton shorts with just your normal undercrackers?

😐

BigDummy
    Free Member

[TandemJeremy to the thread please!]

trail_rat
    Free Member

wore 2 pairs of endura fs260 pro shorts on rotation for 3 months touring in new zealand summer… field sensor breathable fabric and a 600 series chamois

my new favorite shorts !

tinsy
    Free Member

No, I rode in cotton undercrackers the other day as I forgot to take my liner with me, and they chaffed and got soaked with sweat in a relatively short ride… edit if there was a non chamoix technical undergarment it might still work as it wasnt the usual sit bones bit that was the problem edit

Specialized Enduro here and did a 100k offroad sportive without any trouble a few weeks back, also a good smothering of minty ar5e lard.

druidh
    Free Member

To be fair, there is a bit of divided opinion on the whole man-made/padded vs. cotton crackers argument.

On the one hand, you have TJ. On the other, you have all the worlds elite riders, all its leisure riders, the manufacturers, retailer and journalists……

matt_outandabout

*sniggers*

Me = Nike or Endura lycra shorts with some nice (and they are fab) Sombrio shorts over.

njee20
    Free Member

Having always been a massive Assos fan I think their latest shorts aren’t as good as they used to be, Gore for me these days.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ta druidh 🙂

Ok – if you are multiday touring do you have a clean pair of shorts each day?

There is no doubt that all other things being equal synthetic materials do trap bacteria compared to natural fibres. Thats why synthetic wicking shirts stink

My non lycra riding is a 3 part solution. natural fibre next to the skin, camfy padded seat and high bars. 90 miles at SITs 2 yrs ago like this without a hint of chaffing or botty ache. Maybe its the rhino hide I have in that area.

trail_rat
    Free Member

thats why i used 2 pairs … washed one pair every night….

matt_outandabout

I want some merino/lycra inner shorts…. 😕

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Cheers everyone.

Reason for asking is that last year I toured a bit of Cambodia, Vietnam and used short liners and technical material (polyamide I think) shorts over them but did end up with sores after a week or so, but it was very hot/humid conditions. I always try to put on a clean pair of short liners everyday too and take about 4 or 5 pairs and wash when I can.

I’m off to Tibet, Himalyas in a couple of months and want to avoid the same thing happening again? I’ve got myself some Endura shorts with the clicky liners that are fine for rides in the UK, done 5/6 hour rides fine here, but not day after day – done 2 hours day after day on my commute, these are more padded than my other liners and wonder if those will cause more sores/bacteria as they have more material to absorb sweat, so wondered if there was some wonder material somewhere? Although, the Himalayas will not be so hot/humid, and someone said it’s better to have just one pair of shorts on rather than short liners and shorts on top – but I have to admit I’m not keen on just having tight lycra type shorts on, not with my physique! 😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

depends what liners you have humvees etc usually come with 200 series liners (its written on your chamois)- i know for sure you can get the 400 series click fast liners and possible 600

4 and 600 drastically more comfortable than the 200s

Also do you use any chamois cream ? and is your saddle suited to your bum ?

I can ride all day/night on a selle italia flite without chamois cream but i have a prologo nago on another bike which is comfy for about 8 hours after that i wish id worn cream or i end up with sores.

FWIW i never had any issues with sores in the slightest in NZ and we were doing 10-12 hour days in the saddle in the NZ summer- the missus sometimes got sores but only with her 400 series liner , once she cottoned onto the fact that the 600 didnt cause any issues she used the 600 and just washed them nightly !

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Mmmm, didn’t know they had different series of liners? I have the Humvee’s but never notived anything written on them, I’ll have a look later. Where can you get these different liners, just quickly checked crc and can’t see them?

Haven’t used cream, but wondering if I should get some? And I’m currently breaking in a Brooks saddle (or it’s breaking me in) which is ok but taking it’s time.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

assos

assos

assos

one pair, wash daily and apply minty arse lard to yourself not the shorts

that is all

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Shorts – for all day riding/touring?’ is closed to new replies.