Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Shoddy maxles! Alternatives / replacements?
  • rossburton
    Free Member

So I’ve finally knackered the 15mm Rockshox maxle on my forks by hamfistedly overtightening and then warping the edge that you have to push the lever against to undo. It’s now got to the point where it looks like I need to take the lever off entirely and use a socket to under the maxle.

So, is there an alternative 15mm (non boost) maxle that doesn’t have this (IMHO) terrible design flaw, or does anyone know a cheaper source? 40 quid for an axle is taking the piss.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Maxle Ultimate. Doesn’t use the tabs, much better design.

Or Maxle Stealth which just requires a tool to do up.

Though I’ve never had issues with the old design. I do wonder if it’s how people use them, but anyway.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

If it’s the original style, I just cut and made the slot a chunk wider. Gave a new flat/neat surface to go against.

Failing that what about a stealth?

I’ve replaced my ultimate with one of those on newer forks.

Poopscoop

Few threads on this.

Maxle Stealth is a good bet. 🙂

nickc

Don’t so this

by hamfistedly overtightening

terrible design flaw,

It’s fine, see point 1.

Bagstard
    Free Member

I have a maxle ultimate for sale if interested, email in profile.

rossburton
    Free Member

nickc: it appears to be easy to overtighted inadvertently. I never forced it shut, unlike some traditional QR skewers which I have had to force shut to keep a sliding wheel in place.

Bagstard, YGM.

cokie

If you fancy some lovely bike bling then the new Pauls Components through axles is what you want.
    Lovely!

Northwind

deadkenny – Member

Maxle Ultimate. Doesn’t use the tabs, much better design.

The old maxle only breaks if you do it wrong, the maxle ultimate breaks because it’s not strong enough. I’d rather have the former.

But stealth is the best answer imo- lighter, doesn’t break. I suppose some people will still gorilla it to death with a long allen key though. Thing is, why is a QR maxle an advantage? When do you urgently need to remove a front wheel and you don’t have an allen key? For xc racing maybe it matters

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Shoddy maxles! Alternatives / replacements?’ is closed to new replies.