Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Shimano XT Front Mech Prob
  • mrben100
    Free Member

As the title suggests, I've got an XT front mech. Spent most of the day tinkering with bike to try and get the gears on a new bike working correctly.

I have adjusted the H and L limit screws front and rear – and also indexed…………..however, the chain seems to have a problem getting onto the largest chainring, once on it runs smoothly, doesn't rub or rattle, just takes ages to get on the ring.

Can't think what else to check, height of mech maybe? Any ideas?

Cheers in advance for any insightful (and undoubtly un-insightful) views received.

bananaworld
    Free Member

What chainset/rings are on there? Sizes?

IMH experience some big rings just have shite pick-up ramps…

mrben100
    Free Member

Shimano Deore XT 44/32/22.

In conjunction with SRAM X9 shifters – doubt there's any SRAM/Shimano conflict, similar spec XT/X9.

bananaworld
    Free Member

The shifter isn't the problem but the orientation (yaw) of the front mech might well be: check the outer plate is dead parallel with the rings.

If it is, and shifting is still slow then remember: "Oh FFS, a front mech is only two wonky plates of metal that smack the chain from side to side" and it's time to get creative.

Try rotating the mech ever-so-slightly anti-clockwise (viewed from top).

Particularly annoying front mechs sometimes get a bit of cold-working. I wrote this a while back: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=2165.msg10366#msg10366

Good luck! 🙂

mrben100
    Free Member

I'll keep tinkering, going out on it tomorrow…………will review how good it is in action. Only shifting I've done is with bike in the work stand.

Cheers

jond
    Free Member

Correct bottom bracket size ? Enough cable's being pulled through ?

There should only be a few mm clearance between the outer rig and cage (viewed from the side) – subject to it not hitting the chainstay (as I found with a mech on one frame)

Otherwise – as mentioned, yaw wrt the frame.

mrben100
    Free Member

Looking at it, when shifting the mech seems to just hold the chain against the side of the chainring rather than force it up and onto it.

Once on though the mech looks parallel and the chain runs smooth.

When I checked the height of the mech there was only 2-3mm between mech and top of largest ring.

Everything has been done by the book as it were – just not shifting properly.

I'm sure I saw a hammer round here somewhere! 🙂

coatesy
    Free Member

Bottom swing mech (high clamping band)by any chance?If so, it's possible you may have routed the cable inside the lug at the cable clamp, rather than outside, if you have then it won't pull quite enough cable for a good shift.

mrben100
    Free Member

Coatsey it appears you were on the right lines. I had routed the cable correctly but I tightened the cable with a couple of turns of the barrel adjuster and now its pulling enough cable through to smooth change.

Though I'd tightened it enough when indexing but apparently not!

I guess that's why mechs are evil – working adequately but you think 'I think that could run a bit smoother' and end up buggering it up.

Cheers Chaps. 😀

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Shimano XT Front Mech Prob’ is closed to new replies.