Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Shimano Tiagra Bearings rear
  • scratch
    Free Member

I need to replace the bearings in my rear wheel on the commute, it’s done a years worth and there’s a tiny amount of side-to-side movement so looks about time.

Are all Shimano bearings the same size? Any idea of quantity needed each side?

As it’s on the way home I was going to attempt the local Halfords as I’d expect them to have bearings instock, I’m just writing out an FMEA so I don’t have to go back in the morning.

cynic-al
    Free Member

9 x 1/4″ per side.

BUT a little play alone does not mean you need new ones, do a service by all means but if the bearings don’t feel rough then they’ll prob be shiney and fine.

scratch
    Free Member

Thanks Al, I’ve not serviced a Shimano hub for about 15 years, I’m a little weary of doing it tbh, distant memories of not getting the cones tightened correctly…

ahwiles
    Free Member

they’re easy.

(with the axle out) do one side up REALLY tight.

with the other side nipped up (cone against locknut), you should be able to tighten the nipped-pair just by turning the locknut.

when it feels right, tighten the nipped-pair*.

that’ll do-yer.

(*a little trial and error will get you from ‘good enough’, to ‘ooh that’s lovely’ – i challenge you to tell the difference from the saddle though… 🙂 )

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Cone spanners,grease, cup of your favourite coffee and half an hour of your time.

cynic-al
    Free Member

what awhiles said though tighten the DS first.

A teeny (almost imperceptible) amount of play is ideal – tightening the QR then takes up the slack.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Tiagra Bearings rear’ is closed to new replies.