Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Shimano M525 Freehub problems – it's not very free
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

We fitted a new chain and jockey wheels to my mates bike a couple of weeks ago after a particularly crappy ride after giving the rest of the drive train a damm good cleaning of course.

He hasn't ridden the bike for 2 weeks as it's been sat in my shed awaiting new pads, saddle and grips, fitted them this morning and to cut a long story short, hen I span the wheel to see how the brakes were running/catching the free hub failed to engage, the mech dragged right up to the chain stay and promptly collapsed!

The mech is bugger (SLX Shadow) as it won't spring back to it's normal position with no chain in it and the fee hub, although it will spin with some force is also up the swanny!

Can you fix/repair a shimano M525 freehub or is it new hub time?

New mech already on order.

Cheers

valley
    Free Member

Hi you can replace the freehub body around £15 from crc or On-one had Shimano hubs for £7 so you get freehub ,spare spindle,bearings etc

stilltortoise
    Free Member

You can buy the freehub assembly, although someone may be along shortly to say they can be taken apart and made better. No need for a new hub if it is just the freehub. My LBS sold me a previous season's Deore hub for £10/15 or so. It has been great for spares: bearings, cups, cones and of course a freehub. I'd recommend doing that.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

ooops, looks like valley beat me to that suggestion 🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

I'll get on the case, cheap hub as spares and some tools will be cheaper than a wheel

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Shimano M525 Freehub problems – it's not very free’ is closed to new replies.