Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Shimano chain – have i knackered it? (numpty content)
  • NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

I split a shimano chain, and without thinking i split it at the first link i came to and the pin dropped out. I now realise i should of split it at a specific black pin on the chain.

Have i knackered it or could i use a new pin or SRAM powerlink to refit it?

wwaswas

you did the right thing – just use another Shimano pin or SRAM link to rejoin it.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Whats this thing about having to split it at specific link/pin then?

Jerome
    Free Member

Use a powerlink

njee20
    Free Member

You have to join with a joining pin (or Power Link), you can split wherever you want, in fact it's better not to split at a joining pin, as they enlarge the holes slightly which can mean a second one doesn't fit as well.

glenp
    Free Member

Best not to split it at the original pin, as has been said. If you're careful you can just re-join it anywhere with the normal pins – the old fashioned way if you like, without a special pin.

wee-al
    Free Member

Sram powerlink every time. You are supposed to use the black link to split but as someone pointed out they F the holes in the A. Powerlink is just so much handier for cleaning etc. I always carry a spare or two for trailside emergencies as well.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

All is not lost then, i will fit a powerlink. Cheers lads.

cookeaa

Pop a power link in, I’ve had chains with as many as 3 power links in before, don’t bother with the shimano split pin, too much faff…

jd-boy
    Free Member

POWER LINK, its the only way to go

sweepy
    Free Member

I tried to rejoin a chain with a powerlink the other day, 8 speed chain,make unknown, new silver powerlink, no joy at all, didnt look like the pins were long enough. Is there a magic knack cos im just about to buy a load of joining links instead.

dmiller
    Free Member

8 speed chains are thicker than 9 speed so need a 8 speed quick link.

8 speed links will work with 7 speed chains tho.

sweepy
    Free Member

thats right, and the gold are 9 speed arent they?
    Funny thing is the one on my bike I can work fine

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Shimano chain – have i knackered it? (numpty content)’ is closed to new replies.