Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • shifting an older car
  • maxray
    Free Member

Can anyone suggest the best way to sell/scrap an older car? Got a 51 plate polo estate with 178k on the clock and a fairly tired interior. Should I just give it a clean and stick it on eBay or will a vw breaker be interested?

totalshell

ebay.. no question, any scrap yard will take it todays price was 170 a tonne.

kevj
    Free Member

I have just scrapped the wifes 52 plate Seat Leon for £250, collected from our house.
    I may have got slightly more for it spares or repair on eBay but once you have taken into consideration fees and hassle factor, it was a no brainer.

tron
    Free Member

Assuming there are no major mechanical issues, why would you scrap a 51 plate Polo estate with 180k on the clock?

If it’s running alright and got a bit of MOT that’ll easily fetch north of £500. Anything that can shift a decent amount of kit and not cost a bomb to run sells very easily.

Ideally you want to get a year’s MOT on it and put it on Ebay with a 99p start price. Get your local hand car wash place to do a £40 tidy up, get some photos on a sunny day in a nice spot, and bob’s your uncle.

maxray
    Free Member

Yeah some scrap it type website offered me 175 for it, the miser in me thinks its such a shame to just be crushed despite its failings 🙂

maxray
    Free Member

its got mot till Feb and tbh looks ok from outside. The interiors a bit rope and it has a broken drivers side electric window and some faults on 3 or 4 engine sensors. Think ill buff it up and stick it on the bay, apparently window cleaners love polo estates due to carrying capacity vs size

tron
    Free Member

A leccy window is normally £30 and a couple of hours pulling the door card off and putting in a new lifter.

I’ve sold a couple of old vehicles on ebay, always at 99p with no reserve, and it’s the best way of selling a motor in my view. I think we had one person come and have a look at each vehicle, and in the end they both went to bidders who won the auction without coming for a look first, just turned up with cash and drove off.

Both went for more than I’d have dared advertise them for! Far, far less hassle than Autotrader or the free ads.

freddyg
    Free Member

Interesting – me & MrsG were wondering how to sell our old CRV. EBay may just do the trick.

maxray
    Free Member

tron, whats the score with you responsibilities after selling it on eBay? Once its sold is that it ? Id have the fear of them driving off and then it breaking down a week later and them coming back wanting refunds etc.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

I’d have thought it was a private sale same as any other. Sold as Seen etc

tron
    Free Member

All private car sales are sold as seen, zero buyer comeback. If you’re worried about it, just state sold as seen on the receipt.

maxray
    Free Member

nice one cheers tron

higgo
    Free Member

Honest listing on Ebay.
    I’ve been amazed at what people will pay.

RustyNissanPrairie

ebay for selling cars—–BUT—–only via a classified advert-its live for a month and costs a flat fee of £15 with no final percentage fee to pay. You can take a load of pics and dump them in photobucket/imageshack etc and copy and paste the html links into the ebay ad for unlimited photo’s

Avoid autotrader-its just full of nigerian scammers.

higgo
    Free Member

ebay for selling cars—–BUT—–only via a classified advert-its live for a month and costs a flat fee of £15 with no final percentage fee to pay.

Yes but, no but… I sold my last one on Ebay auction for ~£400 more than I probably would have listed it for as a ‘classified’.

Some of that extra would have been eaten up in fees but I was still up. It depends if you have a fixed idea of what the car’s worth or if you’ll let it go seeing what you get for it.

samuri
    Free Member

samuri
    Free Member

Oh god, I’m terribly sorry. I thought you said an older cat

maxray
    Free Member

Lol! Hessian sack. 😀

KonaTC

Back in the day you could have had it stolen and burnt out for £20

andyl
    Free Member

51 plate is not that old…well okay it’s 10 years but cars around then had a significant jump in quality and drop in emissions etc as all the new rules were coming in.

I am guessing it is cheap tax? If so then definitely worth selling as it is practical and cheap to run which potentially gets an older and less efficient car off the road.

I have a 51 plate 306 estate with 120k on the clock. This week I have been cross country to the IoW (via Southampton) and back and then motorway to London and back on less than £60 which is 55mpg and I wasn’t taking it easy. I bought it cheap to replace a much less efficient petrol car that cost almost £100 a year more to tax!

maxray
    Free Member

Yeah its £120 to tax, and you are right its ok on the deisel. Will get an honest ad up on Ebay and see what happens, just need to time things well as we pick our new car up at the end of the week hopefully.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘shifting an older car’ is closed to new replies.