Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)
  • Sharia law in Sudan. How can this be happening in the 21st Century?
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

Pregant women sentenced to death in Sudan

How can this be happening? Surely the UN can put pressure on the Sudanese government?

There is a petition at Change.org

MrWoppit
    Free Member

We’re in the 21st century. They’re not.

binners

They’re at the same part of the evolutionary process as we were when we were doing this

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp_l5ntikaU[/video]

A petition is a good idea though. I’ve heard that religious fundamentalist lunatics from the dark ages are pretty receptive to them

RustySpanner

All religions and societies go through periods of fundamentalism.
    We’re heading for another global backward shift.

Anti abortionists gaining ground in the US.

Western Europe is out of tune with the rest of the world at the moment.
    Freedom is unfashionable.
    Human rights are expensive and democracy is so inconvenient.

GrahamS

Wani is appealing his wife’s execution, which officials said won’t be held until Ibrahim gives birth and nurses her infant.

How remarkably compassionate of them 🙁

A strong understanding of the delicate world of international diplomacy shown in the comments there:

“Obama its real simple bro, you get on the damned phone and you tell the Sudanese President he lets the lady go and to the USA or 30 seconds after they kill her we Nuke Sudan”

😯

khani
    Free Member

A petition is a good idea though. I’ve heard that religious fundamentalist lunatics from the dark ages are pretty receptive to them

LoL 🙂 a damn good Twitter storm sorts em right out as well…

gobuchul
    Free Member

LoL a damn good Twitter storm sorts em right out as well…

Diplomatic pressure from the Western Governments can certainly help.

What do you two think should be done then?

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

How can this be happening in the 21st Century?

Is that a trick question ? Terrible things happen every single day in the 21st Century. They shouldn’t, as we now have the capability to stop them, but we’re a very silly and self obsessed species.

Try reading the international pages of a decent newspaper, and you’ll see despicable acts happening all the time.

http://international.nytimes.com/

Or are you looking for an answer to all this ?

binners

What do you two think should be done then?

Why is their an onus on us to do anything? When did we become the World Police? The whole problem with dealing with fundamentalists is that you can’t really bargain or rationalise with them. Thats why they’re fundamentalists. Do you think that someone who thinks its acceptable, desirable even, to stone people to death for the honour of the one true god, is going to carefully listen to how your western liberal values are offended, then agree to some kind of compromise?

Best thing to does to leave them too it. Previously experience has shown that ultimately they’ll all wipe each other out in an I’m-more-Islamic-than-you competition, involving kalashnikovs and rocket propelled grenades. We can make a few bob selling them the arms to hasten the process, then try and reason with the survivors in a couple of hundred years.

Alternatively….

BigDummy
    Free Member

They do have form for releasing Western prisoners when they realise they’ve gone too far. Remember the “teddy bear called Mohamed” fiasco?

Trimix
    Free Member

It does seem shocking at first, but I pause for a while and think, no, Im not surprised. Ive lived in a few shit countrys and been to Sudan for a few months, things are quite different there.

What is shocking is how much of a little bubble the West lives in.

The majority of the worlds population dont have internet cafes, iPads, forums, electricity, running water or toilets.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2013/02/22/_60_percent_of_the_world_population_still_without_toilets.html

hels
    Free Member

I am sure I remember reading somewhere that more people in the world have access to a mobile phone than a flushing toilet.

rebel12
    Free Member

This is purely despicable by our standards, however these people live by different values than we do, and I’m sure they would find many of our freedoms and ways of living equally as despicable. Agree with Binners 100% – this is none of our business, let them get on with it and hopefully they will eventually learn by their own mistakes. Please also don’t forget that the UK is hardly whiter than white – you only have to look at our history as head of the Empire to see that. We have no right to be policing or lecturing others.

binners

I think that was specifically referring to Yorkshire Hels 😉

kimbers

not just sudan though, our close ally and supplier of petrol for our cars saudi arabia has what id consider a horrific track record on human rights via shariah law
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Use_of_Sharia_by_country.svg

religion is often used by people as an excuse to be dicks, look at the persecution of gays in russia and elsewhere or the christian/muslim violence in CAR

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I think that was specifically referring to Yorkshire Hels

You can’t have been to Yorkshire Binners, Phones just don’t work here and my stream flushes itself nicely thanks.

MSP

I am starting to think that some nations are basically trolling the west, so they can use the western reaction for their own internal political gain.

BillMC

I think you’ll find there are Sharia courts scattered around Britain.
    Is it not right to publicly condemn monstrous misogynist behaviour? If not, I worry for the future of this country too.

richc
    Free Member

Its hard to take a moral high ground where our closest ally (USA) is currently torturing its own citizens to death to provide ‘justice’

Shitty things happen everywhere

gobuchul
    Free Member

Its hard to take a moral high ground where our closest ally (USA) is currently torturing its own citizens to death to provide ‘justice’

Do they kill people for refusing to convert to a certain religion?

What has the USA’s capital punishment policy got to do with us anyway?

I am amazed that so many on here can dismiss this. At least Amnesty International are trying to do something.

bensales
    Free Member

Actually, what fascinates me more about this, is not that she’s been sentenced to death. It’s that she is choosing not to renounce her Christianity in the face of being executed and leaving her two children without a mother.

Some mother she is. Say some words, keep them happy, get out the country as a refugee, be a Christian somewhere where they tolerate it, and give your kids a decent life.

She’s choosing to be a martyr and that’s just as bad.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’d like to see a return to clear and unambiguous foreign policy based on political expediency and national self interest.
    Pick the side that you can do business with and provide (preferably sell) them sufficient apparatus to remove the inconvenient little oiks who won’t play nice. Served us well in the past.

….. and ducks back down below the parapet.

hora
    Free Member

Theres a worrying growth or ‘form’ of Islam in my opinion. Those who haven’t done well in life or know they’ll never get the riches that they had hoped for- the radicalised/extreme forms of Islam offer them an instant pop-up purpose and respect. All instant. By ‘joining’ they forgo any need to work hard to that point.

This for me is spreading. Where are the noble and fierce warriors of old like Saladin?

Who would speak out against Sudan? (and others). To the OP, what is a petition going to do? Why are different sects of Islam killing each other?

How can we stop this- Where is the one powerful uniting force like there once was?

richc
    Free Member

What has the USA’s capital punishment policy got to do with us anyway?

We should be happy to condemn anyone who treats people inhumanely regardless of their colour, creed or religion. All three of these points are important not just the religion bit.

Its far to easy to pick on the people who are different colour; just because they believe in something else.

Why should they take any notice of the West when its biggest player (the USA) are happy to torture people to death and execute children and the mentally ill.

Before people start lecturing other cultures about right and wrong, we need to get our own house in order first.

gobuchul
    Free Member

To the OP, what is a petition going to do?

Informs our politicians that we are unhappy and want some action to be taken.

Why are different sects of Islam killing each other?

What has that got to do with this situation?

How can we stop this- Where is the one powerful uniting force like there once was?

Not sure what you’re talking about?

binners

I am amazed that so many on here can dismiss this. At least Amnesty International are trying to do something.

Have they signed the petition too?

Whatever Amnesty says will make bugger all difference. Nor will anything else short of nuking them. They’re fundamentalist nut-jobs who believe they’re soldiers of Allah on some divine mission. And even if you threaten to kill them, they’ll think thats bloody great too, as they’ll die fighting the western crusaders, and therefore be martyr’s and be entitled to their 70 IT workers called Colin who still live with their mum virgins in paradise

Only one way to deal with it really…..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

BillMC – Member

I think you’ll find there are Sharia courts scattered around Britain.

Whooooaaaaaa there, reighn in the Daily Wail 2+2=5’ing.

The ‘courts’ in the UK have no legal standing and don’t dish out capital/corpral punishments. More on a par with two people going to mediation to settle a dispute.

Condeming Islam/Sharia for this is about as relavent as condeming democracy because it gave us Robert Mugabe.

sbob
    Free Member

I don’t think my vocabulary is vast enough to convey just exactly what a **** moronic statement that is.

Next time you are going to offer up such an idiotic opinion, pretend that instead of typing it out on your phone that you actually saying it out loud to a group of real people.
    Then have a little think about whether or not it’s really that sensible to spout such utter shite.

hora
    Free Member

More on a par with two people going to mediation to settle a dispute.

Yes things like marital disputes. Woman wants to divorce husband but was told NOT to was one of them.

Doesn’t have to be ‘capital punishment’ to be oppressive and wrong.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Informs our politicians that we are unhappy and want some action to be taken

😆 I was at the rally against the invasion of Iraq in London in 2003. Hundreds of thousands of people filed past Downing St to voice their displeasure. Fat lot of good that did.

What has that got to do with this situation?

Quite a lot. Here’s some light reading for you

https://www.alislam.org/library/73divisions/73-09.html

Not sure what your talking about?

Well, what do you want to happen. Send in the UN ? Lets see how that works out shall we.

Are you actually a paid up member of Amnesty International ? If not, you should be.

https://www.amnesty.org.uk/giving/join/adult

rebel12
    Free Member

Find it quite hypocritical that those on here jumping on the bandwagon to condemn unsavoury events in a 3rd world country, they know little about, are probably doing so from behind the screen of a new Mac laptop, in a nice air conditioned office with cafe latte in hand.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yes things like marital disputes. Woman wants to divorce husband but was told NOT to was one of them.

Or it didn’t happen.

Bessides, that would be exactly like any other mediation, if it doesn’t work then you end up in the real courts anyway.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

they know little about, are probably doing so from behind the screen of a new Mac laptop, in a nice air conditioned office with cafe latte in hand.

This is STW, it’s a PC (we all work in IT) and a cup of tea surely, the coffee and mac are ‘lifestyle purchases’ for outside work.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Find it quite hypocritical that those on here jumping on the bandwagon to condemn unsavoury events in a 3rd world country, they know little about, are probably doing so from behind the screen of a new Mac laptop, in a nice air conditioned office with cafe latte in hand.

FFS! 🙄
    Where’s the hypocrisy?
    Are you suggesting that as I don’t fully understand a country and/or culture then I cannot criticise their actions?

binners

Next time you are going to offer up such an idiotic opinion, pretend that instead of typing it out on your phone that you actually saying it out loud to a group of real people.
    Then have a little think about whether or not it’s really that sensible to spout such utter shite.

If we all start applying that criteria, the interweb will implode

*typed into a mahoosive Mac monitor while slurping Vimto*

sbob
    Free Member

rebel12 – Member

I’ve emboldened the bit that is relevent to yourself.

eat_the_pudding
    Free Member

gobuchul plus 1 “I am amazed that so many on here can dismiss this”

Pretty stunned myself .. everything from moral relativism, to white liberal guilt, to colonial guilt, and then comparing the attitude of americans to the death sentence for murderer, to the islamic sentence of death for apostasy given to a pregnant female doctor. Whose crime is having a muslim father and a christian husband (shes also been tried for adultery by the way).. all in less than 20 posts.

I thought I was a cynical but the majority here seem to have turned both cynical and hopeless.

I suppose y’all think that the phrase “universal human rights” is a western affectation that poor 3rd worlders are incapable of understanding.

I’m sure that everyone; from the lawyers in pakistan who get shot for defending blasphemy cases; to the gays in Uganda who get arrested for living; to the women in iran who got arrested for dancing to “be happy” will appreciate your support.

binners

I suppose y’all think that the phrase “universal human rights” is a western affectation that poor 3rd worlders are incapable of understanding.

They’re fundamentalists! With the emphasis on the ‘mental’ bit of that word. They rejoice in their medieval barbarism. So the more western hand-wringing goes on, the happier they are. Ultimately, by kicking up such a fuss, you’re only encouraging them

Like I said….. this is the most effective form of communication…..

Oh… and you used the word/abomination ‘y’all’ which automatically renders anything typed after it irrelevant, as it can now be dismissed as drivel 😀

jambourgie
    Free Member

Nothing particularly constructive to add, just wanted to add my voice and say that this is absolutely disgusting. This kind of thing gets me so mad I literally cannot think straight, and thus; my solution is to send an assassin to kill any judge worldwide who passes a death sentence. Sorted.

mudshark
    Free Member

Hey what?

Find it quite hypocritical that those on here jumping on the bandwagon to condemn unsavoury events in a 3rd world country, they know little about

OK so maybe there is good reason to kill her, we’re just not getting it?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Sharia law in Sudan. How can this be happening in the 21st Century?’ is closed to new replies.