Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Share your productivity secrets
  • huggis
    Free Member

Getting a bit swamped at work these days – any folks care to share their best practice for email and task management?

Do you still file emails or just put them in one big bucket and rely on search?

Have limited success using other apps such as Evernote and Onenote for management of tasks and reference material but nothing sticks…

wwaswas

don’t go on stw in working hours.

huggis
    Free Member

I wondered how many seconds it would take for someone to say that 🙂

shuhockey
    Free Member

Tumblr on chrome

camo16
    Free Member

If it’s stressing that’s destroying your productivity, may I recommend the delights of St John’s Wort, sir?

Works for me. I’ve got loads done today thanks to the good saint… but he’s starting to fade away and here I am on STW. 😀

The only disadvantage I can see is I seem to have a little fella in my head singing doo-de-doo-de-doo on repeat…

huggis
    Free Member

camo16 – yes I guess that is part of the problem – have tried that in past and it has helped come to think of (as well as keeping coffee intake in check!)

camo16
    Free Member

I’m quite often swamped by too many jobs at the same time. It’s a rubbish feeling not being able to get anywhere… SJW is my new favourite friend. Watch out for the little singing man though! 😉

ThePinkster

I find the old fashioned approach of pencil & paper work quite well.

Write down what you want/need to achieve then work through the list planning a sequence that will reduce duplication of work and so jobs feed into one another.

Traditional but works for me.

camo16
    Free Member

Having a mighty moustache must also help, surely, Pinkster? 😉

lucien

This Wunderlist

Seriously…..

IA

I find the old fashioned approach of pencil & paper work quite well.

+1

Write down everything you need to do.

If you get something else to do, stick it on the end of the list. Then if you need to re-order you can see everything. If someone asks you to do something asap, show them the list and why they need to wait!

ThePinkster

camo16 – Member
    Having a mighty moustache must also help, surely, Pinkster?

Indeed it does. Not having something to twiddle while thinking is not something I’d care to consider 😉

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Hmmmm…. Wunderlist….. that looks interesting – spend ages writing lists and rewriting to re-order them. STW – font of all knowledge!

spacemonkey

TeamworkPM is by far the best PM tool I’ve used. Great customer service too with most queries addressed within minutes.

Todoist is cross-platform friendly and integrates with Outlook and Gmail. Excellent for general email/task management without getting too deep.

All IMHO having trialled IRO 50 bits of task/PM software over the last few years.

freeagent
    Free Member

write a ‘to do’ list for tomorrow before you leave everyday.

Accept that some things are just not going to get done…

spacemonkey

Whatever you do, please avoid one particularly well known PM app as the founder decided 2 years ago to post a YT vid on why he spent $80k on a Cayenne! Complete ar53. And his company are renowned for being unresponsive to client feedback.

bencooper
    Free Member

I use Trello to keep track of bike builds and the like – https://trello.com/

It has a website and apps to sync everything.

core

I’m in the very same situation – loads to do, all varying stuff, and no drive to really do any of it.

I’m 3 days behind with my inspection notes, haven’t vetted a plan for some time, targets way gone, 20 odd emails not replied to…..

Could do with a day (or 3) in the office but never seem to get the chance, 2 colleagues retired in last 12 months, 2 left for greener grass, 1 on sick, and workload is 50% up across the board, usually got 2/3 of us doing what 5/6 used to do.

stick_man

In the modern office your own productivity is seriously affected by constant interruptions from other people, either visiting you in person, or contacting you by email, phone, or instant messenger.

To increase your productivity, make yourself unavailable for some of the day – switch the phone / email / IM off for starters, or at least take make a point of taking longer to respond. The les available you are the less people will pester you, and the more you get done.

core

p.s. not fractions

huggis
    Free Member

wow lots of sound advice! Must admit the volume of information plus ambiguity over whether to flag a mail, turn it into an (outlook) task or create the action elsewhere is driving me nuts!

Some say – keep mails and tasks clearly separate…

bencooper
    Free Member

20 odd emails not replied to…..

My inbox has 616 unread emails out of a total of 1320 – want to swap?

bokonon
    Free Member

E-mails – one big archive folder, one small to do folder and an empty inbox

I use categories and smart search folders to navigate the archive (s – I have 5 e-mail addresses to deal with) and use filters to categorise stuff automatically as it comes in, leaving a minimum of stuff to deal with by hand, and a good idea of what stuff I can safely ignore.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Camo…If the op isn’t depressed and only shows symptoms of mild anxiety I wouldn’t recommend long term use of what is effectively an antidepressant that has quite significant effects on brain chemistry. Just because its yet to be a prescribed drug doesn’t mean you should be taking the damn things like sweets.

A bit of cbt and propranolol would be better for mild anxiety.

spacemonkey

Some quick tips:

1) Read and process your emails in batches, e.g when you first start work in the morning … then 11am … then 1pm … and so on. This way you prevent yourself from being knocked out of your flow every time an email arrives.

2) If you can action an email in <2 mins then do it. Do it now. Then file it away. Done.

3) Create a folder called SOMETIME and dump in there any emails that don’t need actioning for X weeks.

4) Aim for Zero Inbox.

core

20 odd emails not replied to…..
    My inbox has 616 unread emails out of a total of 1320 – want to swap?

That’s a lot for me, depends how you prioritise them, what you do and how important those emails are to the sender I guess? I usually try to deal with all emails on a daily basis, or at least flag the important stuff.

A lot of my customers/clients are dependent on me to progress with projects, build, and sell houses, so there’s a fair bit of pressure to sort them out…….

oldbloke
    Free Member

Read and process your emails in batches, e.g when you first start work in the morning … then 11am … then 1pm … and so on. This way you prevent yourself from being knocked out of your flow every time an email arrives.

+1, but let colleagues know you do this
    And turn the phone off for an hour every now and again.

Delete button is really handy.

Finish every day knowing what you’re going to focus on next morning.

CaptainSlow

I use an adapted version of “take back your life” http://www.amazon.co.uk/Take-Back-Using-Outlook-Organized/dp/0735620407

In terms of tools I use outlook and Evernote.

huggis
    Free Member

Captain Slow – just scanned that book on amazon – looks promising!

fasthaggis

A friend gave me a copy of this.

I haven’t got round to reading it yet,been too busy 🙂

CaptainSlow

It is if you apply it in a way that works for you. I use a TBYL “lite” approach.

Aside from being organised, it also covers being efficient. Eg don’t be one of these folk that takes minutes on paper then types them up. Use Evernote or outlook then edit and distribute as required etc

Evernote is great in that aspect as it is cloud based, works with tags etc for searching and integrates with outlook. Or just use outlook – whatever works for you

Garry_Lager

I think it’s important to delete on sight emails from certain sections of your workplace. This would be anything administrative for me, but YMMV. The idea that you must respond to all-comers is quite corrosive.

I guess if you are IT savvy you could set up a script to bounce any HR or admin email with a phrase like ‘the eagle does not catch flies’.

loddrik
    Free Member

I’ve never been productive or achieved anything. A complete lack of ambition leads to very little money but very little stress.

DT78
    Free Member

Read that book very useful you’ll end up with lots of lists! Plus agree with setting yourself certain times when you answer email. I respond 3 times a day for 30mins. First thing with my morning coffee. Over lunch with my food then just before I head out the door. Unless I’ve got everything done ( very rare) outlook is not even open for the rest of the time. Phone is ignored whilst I focus on emails, unless its a director. Colleagues know if something critical happens to come and find me…

I get hundreds of mails per day probably less than 5% actually need me to take any action, let alone respond immediately. How about keeping a tally of emails you receive and how many need action from you (be honest) and how many could not have waited an hour or two if you are working on a batch responding approach

Other good tip is if it is taking more than 5 mins to respond to a email, then email is probably the wrong format and you should be picking up a phone or a quick catchup.

huggis
    Free Member

How productive is everyone today!

loddrik
    Free Member

Watching Jeremy Kyle 😆

Just about to go back to bed.

camo16
    Free Member

8/10

The day is young. 😀

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Work from home.

Much easier to focus on stuff without people hassling you every 30 secs/office gossip/trivia etc.

There’s a definite reward for being efficent, in that once everything is done, you can slope off for a bike ride!

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

write stuff down

doesn’t matter much how you do it, as long as its reasonably organised.

when you’ve written it down, your brain doesn’t need to remember it = less stress

maintain a good ‘to-do’ list

have some quiet ‘offline’ periods during the day when you just do stuff and sod the interruptions

zokes
    Free Member

Something that surprised me how much a difference it made was turning new mail notifications off. That way you can still have your calendar open so you don’t miss appointments etc, but don’t get the distraction of potentially a new task every ‘ping’!

Then, you can deal with them periodically throughout the day without having your train of thought stolen by some tedious middle manager

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Share your productivity secrets’ is closed to new replies.