• This topic has 40 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • "Share the Damn Road" jerseys
  • GrahamS

Thought some on here might like these:

More at http://www.sharethedamnroad.com/

MrSmith
    Free Member

Cringeworthy like a ‘truckers do it on the road’ T-shirt
    And about as stylish as an archeologist from time team.
    People buy this crap?

Jamie
    Free Member

I would actively aim for anyone wearing one of those.

GrahamS

Suit yourselves. I quite liked the “Don’t run me over” one.

It’s not like roadie jerseys are exactly high fashion:

MrSmith
    Free Member

Which one did you order? 😯

diawl2
    Free Member

The best I’ve seen lately was a bright pink t shirt with CAN YOU F***ING SEE ME NOW! written on the back being worn by a motorcyclist in Canada.

bigyinn
    Free Member

“Share the damn road”? You might as well have a large bullseye on your back. Talk about confrontational!

trail_rat
    Free Member

http://www.evanscycles.com/product_image/image/e8f/b25/e5b/49254/product_page/foska-i-pay-road-tax-short-sleeve-jersey.jpg?1272015656

has a bit of style about it ……

the top 2 above seem to have been designed by Smee/TZF/Glupton.

about as subtle as a brick through a glass table.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Not Camelbak compatible. Flippin roadies; no idea.

SamB
    Free Member

It’s not like roadie jerseys are exactly high fashion:

What are you on about, that Grover one is amazing 😀

MrAgreeable

It’s just a load of divisive bobbins, isn’t it? If we ever want cycling to be accepted as “normal”, maybe wearing a footy shirt would be a better place to start.

http://www.cyclinginquisition.com/2009/11/you-dont-like-football-thats-fine-but.html

headfirst
    Free Member

*googles super grover bike jersey*

EDIT: it’a fake 🙁

headfirst
    Free Member

I got one of these in their sale.I thinks it’s cracking…

Keep up lad.

Eye-catching and a touch of humour helps to ward off close drive-bys.

scud
    Free Member

I used to have a motorbike jacket that like a police one with “Polite”, amazing how many people were courteous to me until they actually read it properly

mattsccm
    Free Member

Several m/c’s around me are stickered up with lots of dayglo and have polite ( huge) and rider (tiny) on the fairing. One very well done version noticeably gets gievn lots of room. I reckon a bit of blue cellophane at the front would help, especially in poor light when it might reflect head lights. 😆

butcher

It’s just a load of divisive bobbins, isn’t it? If we ever want cycling to be accepted as “normal”, maybe wearing a footy shirt would be a better place to start.

Strangely there’s a lot of truth in this.

GrahamS

If we ever want cycling to be accepted as “normal”, maybe wearing a footy shirt would be a better place to start.

My “I’m normal honest” pub ride jersey looks like this:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dakine-cascade-mtb-jersey-2012/

I’d never wear a football shirt – IME you’d get a lot more aggro from that than any of those jerseys!

docrobster
    Free Member

Those “polite” dayglo vests seem very popular with horserists. First time I saw one I thought it was a real police horse. Now I just think they are trying to be clever.
    If you want to look like a “normal” person on a bike surely you need flappy baggy clothing jeans tucked in socks and helmet perched on the back of your head?

MrAgreeable

Ha, yes it would have to be the “right” team. Not advisable in Bristol, Manchester or anywhere else with local rivalries.

If you want to look like a “normal” person on a bike surely you need flappy baggy clothing

You’re in luck grandad. Fashion and aerodynamics have finally caught up with each other.

GrahamS

What if your sister won’t let you wear her jeans?

MrAgreeable

As Noel Fielding would say, Top Shop, five Euro. 🙂

D0NK

You’re in luck grandad. Fashion and aerodynamics have finally caught up with each other.

when I’m nipping to the shop/pub/wherever I’ll go in normal clothes, there’s no way I’m commuting in jeans (sister’s or otherwise) and T shirt tho. and definitely not in those crap white pumps.

back to OP first two are ok 29er one is a bit lame. Liked the texting and “too close” ones too, bit pricey tho.

Bez

Tacky at best.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

“share the damn road, you ****”

Makes more sense.

chakaping
    Free Member

The road tax one is a cute idea, but you’d need a new one every 12 months.

Can you imagine how many funny jokes you’d get from drivers if you let it go out of date?

GrahamS

You’ve got a while till it expires. By that point you probably should be buying a new one anyway:

winterfold
    Free Member

i dont see this kind of thing helping the cause long term – even if it makes you feel good the first time you wear it

the more normal you look (in a jeans and chuckers way) the better IMO

dressing up like you are on a club run or racing when you are going to work makes you look like a bell at best, then confirming it with an aggravating slogan which is not applicable to most drivers, only cofirms any cyclists = bellends ideas drivers may have had.

(manky flouro jackets are not ‘normal’ unless you dig roads or fix railway lines)

Edric64
    Free Member

Cycling in jeans is not very comfy though.Has to be lycra all the time on the bike for me

chakaping
    Free Member

dressing up like you are on a club run or racing when you are going to work makes you look like a bell at best

That’s a bit of a weird thing to say.

Do you think women shouldn’t wear short skirts in public too?

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Joking aside I can see why the idea came up but don’t think it’ll help. For starters Most of us fall out with cars on the commute so it’d be obscured by ruck sacs and frankly warmer tops this time if year. I guess the inventor is trying to educate drivers in some way. Part of me likes it, part of me finds it aggressive, and part of me hates it. There’s has been times when I’ve wanted to have a sticker explaining which Highway Code they just ignored when they nearly knocked me off … Something to stick to their car. .. But the red must faded eventually.

I think the better idea is more educational, perhaps make drivers cycle in rush hour to pass their test or some public awareness adverts detailing the worst things drivers do. Bit like the motorbike ads. But only better! Lol.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

In an ideal world, I agree with, erm, Mr Agreeable up ^^ there. Practicalities though dictate a certain amount of Lycra / dayglo for me on the commute, but I’d previously read about the Mary Poppins Effect, which echoes what a few have said. Here’s a nice take on it from the ladies at LGRAB. I’m another one for thanking almost every driver that gives me room. We’ve got to live together, so lets do what we can to help it work.

cookeaa

I see a M/C rider on my commute with a “Sam’s Mum!” dayglow vest over her leathers. I think it has the desired effect she seems to get room. Not sure if it would work for a cyclist, we’re still several rungs bellow motorcycles or anything else with an engine.

Plus TBH our kids name’s would just mark me out as middle-class and raise some van driving, luddite’s ire…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Yeah winterfold cracking idea jeans and chucks ( thatclip into my spds how ) tomorrow

What do i wear on top or do i just go bearback in -15

v8ninety

Plus TBH our kids name’s would just mark me out as middle-class and raise some van driving, luddite’s ire…

Well, if you will go and call your kids Tarquin and Rupert… 😉

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

winterfold – Member
    i dont see this kind of thing helping the cause long term – even if it makes you feel good the first time you wear it

the more normal you look (in a jeans and chuckers way) the better IMO

dressing up like you are on a club run or racing when you are going to work makes you look like a bell at best, then confirming it with an aggravating slogan which is not applicable to most drivers, only cofirms any cyclists = bellends ideas drivers may have had.

(manky flouro jackets are not ‘normal’ unless you dig roads or fix railway lines)

Yes, exactly.

I imagine the sort of people who’ll wear these jerseys are those that have discovered cycling late on in life (having never really been the “sporting” type), and are now on a mission to shove it down everyone’s throats.

This involves throwing out all their old clothes and replacing them with howies, fox, morvelo and other branded cycling gear.

“look at me! I’m a cycler”

Through the week they commute 250miles each way in their 5 litre BMW 5 series. But at the weekend they need to reaffirm their position as a true cycler by wearing a jersey with a sentence on the back that no one from this country would ever say.

richpips
    Free Member

Those “POLITE” ones are quite good at attracting attention.

The OPs example fails on so many levels including, it looks sh…..

D0NK

dressing up like you are on a club run or racing when you are going to work makes you look like a bell at best…
    …manky flouro jackets are not ‘normal’ unless you dig roads or fix railway lines

and yet….
    don’t wear fluoro and the dft, police, courts and insurance companies reckon you only have yourself to blame. Wear fluoro and your “fellow cyclists” reckon you’re making yourself a target for psychotic sociopath drivers.

Who should I believe? if, as I’m rolling in the gutter after being hit by a moronic driver, I’m going to get people wagging their finger at me whatever I’m wearing I think I’ll go with comfortable, warm, bike friendly gear, maybe with a bit of fluoro thrown in if it’s dark out. if that makes me a bell so be it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

one of my colleagues saw me on the way home last night on the other side of town.

his words this morning “how did that muppet miss you yesterday, you looked like pitodries flood lights on wheels”

but ill take that as its only taken 15 years to have an incident.

MrAgreeable

a bit of fluoro thrown in if it’s dark out

Reflective shirley? Fluoro ain’t gonna help in the dark.

svalgis
    Free Member

What if your sister won’t let you wear her jeans?

LOL! Great joke! You’re funny 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘"Share the Damn Road" jerseys’ is closed to new replies.