Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Shall I replace my front wheel?!
  • Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Just had my bike massively overhauled including a new rear wheel (Hope hoop – Pro 2 hub/xc717 rim) and wondering whether it might be worth doing the front one too.

The bike is a 2007 Stumpy HT and the current wheel is a DT Swiss x430 on a Specialized Stout hub – crashed it badly once and had a rebuilt but other than that, it's fine. Fork is a Fox 90RL (air) with "normal" QR Hope skewer and I'm running Elixir CRs on 160mm rotors.

Part of me is just being a big gay and wants to match the wheels up (!), part of me wants to shave a bit more weight. Is a Hope 2 (or 3) front hub ans xc717 rim likely to save much/any weight? Might stick the old front wheel on wife's 2008 Rockhopper Disk.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Part of me is just being a big gay and wants to match the wheels up

I didn't know you had to be a big homosexual to have matching wheels.

njee20
    Free Member

I know it's too late, but I would never have got the XC717, 355s all the way. I'd get a Hope Hoop on 355 front, take the stickers off if it bothers you they don't match! You'll save a chunk more weight and you'll be able to go tubeless more easily than with a 717.

poisonspider
    Free Member

Might stick the old front wheel on wife's 2008 Rockhopper Disk

I thought you said you were gay? Or is 'wife' just a euphemism for the more effeminate member of your relationship.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Maybe his wife's a big gay too.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I like the 717s and have no plans to go tubeless. Cost is a slight consideration too!

And gay? Well I'll ask the wife what she thinks while mincing around in a pink dress.

wwaswas

"I'll ask the wife what she thinks while mincing around in a pink dress."

I'm not sure what my wife thinks whilst she minces round in a pink dress and I'm not sure I'd want to ask.

njee20
    Free Member

I like the 717s and have no plans to go tubeless. Cost is a slight consideration too!

Hope Hoops are exactly the same cost regardless of rim.

Considering 355s are wider, lighter and tougher(the latter IME) for the same money, I would say it's no contest.

And if you care about weight, why do you have no interest in going tubeless? You'll save more weight than you're about to on your wheels, and get more grip and fewer punctures.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

"I'll ask the wife what she thinks while mincing around in a pink dress."

she'll probably think it doesn't go well with your eyes 🙂

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Simon – I have pink eyes.

njee – there are some of us who don't want to go tubeless. I prefer the higher pressures of tubes, I get on with them better, I hardly ever get punctures and I just cannot be bothered with preparing my wheels for tubeless. I also don't want a FS bike and don't feel the need to clad myself in body armour – again that might make me weird to many, but I can live with it.

I also think that a light tube in a non tubeless tyre ends up being about the same weight as a tubeless tyre and all that sealant.

The issue was whether to change to Hope 2/xc717 on the front, not whether to go tubeless or not. I don't want to go tubeless so suggesting Stan's rims isn't all that helpful at this stage.

njee20
    Free Member

The issue was whether to change to Hope 2/xc717 on the front, not whether to go tubeless or not. I don't want to go tubeless so suggesting Stan's rims isn't all that helpful at this stage.

No, the issue was whether to replace the front wheel surely? Stan's rims don't force you to go tubeless, they will work exactly the same as your 717 with a tube in, in fact they'll be better IMO, so my advice would be:

– If you want to match your rims, then get the Pro 2/717 wheel
    – If you want a better wheel, get the 355
    – Calm down and stop getting your knickers in a twist

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Better wheel?

Hmmm… Reviews seem extremely mixed – some love the Stans, some hate them and suggest they aren't very strong: 3.5 out of 5 overall.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wheels/rim/notubescom/ztr-355/PRD_364986_139crx.aspx

Overall rating of the xc717 is not far off full marks:

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wheels/rim/notubescom/ztr-355/PRD_364986_139crx.aspx

And just to back this up Hope 2 with xc717:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/wheel-sets/product/pro-ii-on-mavic-xc717-wheelset-09-34686

4.5 out of 5.

Three sets of full marks from ChainReaction buyers for the 717 too.

So the Stan's are possibly lighter but not necessarily "better."

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I thought you said you were gay? Or is 'wife' just a euphemism for the more effeminate member of your relationship.

lol

Just leave it on there and wait for it to wear out.

cynic-al
    Free Member

NO way would I trust mtbr reviews – brings out the extreme views.

A search on here will tell you they are well rated, as are mavics.

Life's not as simple as marks out of 5!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

al – agreed but anyone would think the 717s were pants compared to the 355s – it seems they are on a fairly equal footing and the 717s were recommended to me by a very decent bike mechanic and enduro rider. He knows my weight, riding style, etc, njee doesn't. I hate it when people say "you should have got …. instead of what you chose" when that's not even part of the question.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I was thinking of upgrading to 717's after reading many many good reviews but was told by an experienced mtb'r not too bother because they would just break for the kind of riding I do. Lots of the reviews said they were very strong but maybe that's for XC. I do a bit of all mountain too so maybe not suitable for that. What do you think?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I'm a sub 12 stone XCer – no big jumps, just hard endurance type riding and the odd 2ft bunnyhop (my only decent "trick!"). I tend to wear stuff out rather than break it.

njee20
    Free Member

Crikey, I've really touched a nerve there haven't I!

355s are substantially lighter and wider for the same money. In my experience the Stans rims (I've used Olympics rather than 355s) are a fair bit tougher too, particularly with regards to denting.

The fact you're a 'sub 12 stone XCer' personally increases my recommendation! Agree on MTBr too, there's a lot of rubbish on there!

nuke

I run a 717 front wheel on one bike and a 355 front wheel on another bike, both with tubes…prefer the 355; lighter, wider rim supporting tyre better reducing pinch punctures, and seems pretty damn tough. HTH 😀

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Shall I replace my front wheel?!’ is closed to new replies.