Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • set me up with spd shoes and pedals for my first road bike
  • jacob46
    Free Member

Got a new tarmac on the way and need some pedals for it and a pair of shoes.
    I’ve got a bit of walking to do once I get to work so mtb shoes I reckon I need. There’s that much choice I ain’t got a clue what’s good or bad.

Cheers

jasonm945
    Free Member

These and long lasting shoes like these

That would be my choice 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

before the long list of “What I have” your looking for the things that will encase your feet, one of the main contact points on the bike. If you get ones that don’t fit it will hurt. I like the spec BG shoes like the ones in the link and there are plenty to choose from. Head down a decent shop and try a few sets on.

As for pedals something smallish? I use Candies as I have CB across all my bikes (and before anyone chirps up the new ones are much better than the old ones for reliability etc.) What do you have on your other bikes?

rOcKeTdOg

2nd the specialized BG shoes, very comfy

stevious

Getting shoe advice from the internet is almost as pointless as getting dietary advice from it. Try on as many shoes as possible and get the best fitting ones you can afford.

As for pedals, there’s not much to choose between the big brands (except speedplay). If you get stuck then you can’t go far wrong just getting whichever shimano ones match your groupset.

EDIT: OP reading fail: just realised you want MTB shoes/pedals. First point still stands but as for the second point it’s probably worth getting something with a bit of a platform unless you get super-stiff carbon shoes.

bol

Specialized shoes are great. Given the huge margin dealers have on them, see if the place you’re buying the Tarmac from will do you a deal.

IanW
    Free Member

You’ll soon wear out spd shoes if your walking a distance in them everyday. How about some road shoes and pedals and a pair of pumps slip on for the walk?

jacob46
    Free Member

Only 1/4 mile walk from bike sheds to place of work. All car plants are the same.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘set me up with spd shoes and pedals for my first road bike’ is closed to new replies.