Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Servicing 2006 Fox Float 130 forks
  • Karinofnine

Hi, (I’ve managed to find a signal for my laptop).

Serviced my Float Forks last night. Please can you help?

a) The seal kit didn’t include a little pack of Float Fluid for the air chamber so I’ve put some Fox Suspension oil in instead – does it matter?

b) It seems as if I have to put some oil at the bottom of the air spring too – is that right? I can’t remember doing that last time.

Thanks.

Flaperon

Assuming you’re doing a normal seal service, you shouldn’t need to add Float fluid anywhere. Fox used to suggest coating the new seals in it but not any more.

Damper side is easy, just make sure you’ve drained the oil out of the damper to avoid a hydraulic lockout. Air side is equally easy: partially reassemble, invert, and squirt required quantity of oil down the hole at the bottom of the leg. Seemples.

If you’ve disassembled the air spring and rebuilt it using suspension fluid instead of float fluid you’ll get some interesting results before it cheeses itself.

falkirk-mark

You in Falkirk area this w/e I could get you some tonight or tomorrow

Konastoner
    Free Member

Look here: –

Fox Service

It’s under “service” then “oil Volumes”. Your fork will be open bath (O/B).

Also Suspension oil will be fine, just up the viscocity to around 15 which is the same as fox float fluid.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Assuming you’re doing a normal seal service, you shouldn’t need to add Float fluid anywhere

But according to the Fox service instructions here you should put one pillow pack (5cc) of float fluid above the air spring!

And for theOP, the Fox fluid volumes chart is here

Karinofnine

Thanks for the link. No I haven’t taken the air spring apart, but the instructions say ‘1 pillow pack of Float Fluid in the air chamber’ – the seal kit did not have that in it. I am on holiday, near Lauder in Scotland, rode at Glentress yesterday, want to ride there again tomorrow, Tuesday and Wed. Hence wondering if I can get away with suspension oil (I have the prescribed weight of Fox oil)instead of Float Fluid. Seems not. I’m in Falkirk at the moment but heading back to Borders now.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Te float fluid in the air chamber is just for lube. I’d run with 5cc of suspension oil for now and then swap it out to float fluid when you get home. Doubt it will do any harm. Just don’t put too much fluid in there or you’ll find the air spring becomes more progressive to the point of harshness and you won’t be able to use full travel

falkirk-mark

I am in work till half 6, sorry I couldn’t help

Karinofnine

Theroadwarrior – thanks, confirms my thoughts.
    Falkirk-Mark – thanks, kind of you. . . At work on Sunday?

falkirk-mark

Shiftworker at the refinery, 365 day operation, still I finish on Friday morning for 10 days.

bigyinn
    Free Member

As long as there is some sort of oil in the air chamber that should be sufficient. It’s there to lubricate and maintain the air seal.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Servicing 2006 Fox Float 130 forks’ is closed to new replies.