Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Service car myself, or pay £200?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I've looked through a service schedule (admittedly a US one) and the only things I can't do are check the DPF operation and check the fault codes on the ECU.

So is it still worth taking it in for a full service? What do you reckon?

Jerome
    Free Member

Depends how much your time is worth…

meehaja
    Free Member

probably worth doing yourself if you think you can. Oil, oil filter and air filter are really easy. other stuff might be a bit more tricky?

sofatester
    Free Member

Oil, oil filter and air filter are really easy.

+1

davidrussell
    Free Member

if its a major service or for something like a cambelt then a dealer stamp is worth it to prove its been done, otherwise just do it yourself.

molgrips
    Free Member

https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/display/tech/Volkswagen+-+2006+Maintenance+Schedules

There's a massive list of stuff to examine and check, but only a few things to actually DO – change the oil and filter, and maybe air filter. The only thing that worries me a bit is if there are any messages left on my ECU for attention.. not all fault codes result in the check engine light afaik.

Btw I've worked on cars plenty and done loads of oil changes and such. But only on crappier cars, these are newer ones and hence deserve more care I reckon to keep them nice.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm, interestingly nothing about the timing belt in that link I posed. This is weird.. there are suggestions out there it's 120k miles tho although nothing concrete.

IainAhh
    Free Member

if you are am engineer or car mechanic go for it.

If not get it checked out properly … i.e. garage service

Some of my friends go along that route, often ends up with something failing big time that they have missed.

It costs you a bit but MOT and services also check your car our thoroughly and tell you if there is something wrong with it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

DPF will be picked up by the MOT will it not? Its not there for the fun of it so preumably if it fails it will faul its MOT.

Beware, some newer cars (VW were the example I heard) need a dealer to replace even the brake pads as the ABS ECU doesn't like the fluid being pushed back through the system and has a hissy fit. No idea if the same is true of other parts of the cars.

cp

DIY. about to do the brakes on mine for half the price of an indy. god knows what the dealer will charge, but on the basis of other stuff, it will be double that.

anyway, what car is it and how old? fault codes on some cars appear as flashes of the engine light on th dash – so if no flashes, no probs. and surely if the dpf is shot, it will fail emissions tests for smoke come service time and/or you'll notice a drop in performance?

richmtb

When you look at the service schedule you seem to be paying a lot of money for them to check stuff you could do yourself. Things like "check light operation" "renew washer fluid" etc.

My car (Leon FR) needed servicing so I got a basic 32 point service rather than the full dealer one for £70. My service light is off just the same as it would be with the £170 full service. TBH if I'd had the module to reset the service message I would have had a go myself.

The car needs new brake pads and that will definitely be a DIY job

brassneck

Not sure what variant of engine you have but I had a Leon with the 1.8L Turbo, and I'm pretty sure that was cambelts every 60K.. cost a bit more than £200 too 🙁

Main reason for a dealer service if you're capable of doing it yourself is to get a service stamp for easier resale later (one less thing to argue about).. and let someone else deal with the waste oil.

molgrips
    Free Member

DPF is a static filter, which is regenerated by various processes.. if the regeneration is not working properly the filter will end up more blocked than it should be. This would result in loss of mpg but wouldn't result in more smoke, so the MOT would not pick it up.

The car in question is a 2006 VW Passat. And I suspect that fault codes don't *always* appear on the dash, I suspect they just get logged for the garage to read about at the service.

Some of my friends go along that route, often ends up with something failing big time that they have missed.

Mmm.. yeah.. this is what I am thinking.

Garage it is then I suppose.

richmtb

Not sure what variant of engine you have but I had a Leon with the 1.8L Turbo, and I'm pretty sure that was cambelts every 60K.. cost a bit more than £200 too

Its the 2.0TFSI Leon, its done 40k miles don't worry cambelt changes are a bit beyond me! For its 50k service I'll probably take it back to the dealer as it will be nearing cambelt change time, but in general I think most dealers take the piss with what they charge for servicing vs the work that is carried out.

molgrips
    Free Member

Right, next question – some VWs have variable service intervals, and some fixed. Does every car have the ability to do either, or are the required oil sensors only available on some?

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

There is a different engine code for each type, so no I think, I have a fixed one

brassneck

Its the 2.0TFSI Leon, its done 40k miles don't worry cambelt changes are a bit beyond me! For its 50k service I'll probably take it back to the dealer as it will be nearing cambelt change time, but in general I think most dealers take the piss with what they charge for servicing vs the work that is carried out.

Sorry, timing of posts went a bit funny, it was aimed at molgrips really. May have been more or less the same engine in his VW.

But fyi, I got it done at an independant for around £320 including some other little bits, the main dealer wanted £450 just for that.
    I've looked into the process and it doesn't seem too complicated, but lacking the facilities of a garage and the experience it doesn't seem worth playing with for your main get-to-work motor unless you've bigger balls than me 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I've done a couple of cambelts.. but I don't have a 2.0 TFSI .. umm.. confused 🙂

Anyway I called them, she said I could switch from short life to long life intervals. Why on earth would anyone want short interval services? And why is it the default? Grr 🙁

toys19
    Free Member

get rid of the car and cycle..

molgrips
    Free Member

Thought about it. 125 miles on a Monday morning is a bit of a trek tho.

I'm working on getting the train tho. Need to get an apartment instead of a hotel.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Service car myself, or pay £200?’ is closed to new replies.