Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 200 total)
  • Seriously do people dislike Tesco this much ?
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

Thats the point other thigs matter at least as much as cost. I use organic box scheme and farmers shops and alocal market stall selling [some] local produce bought direct from the growers. It is not impossibel but it is more inconvenient and possibly more expensive.
    I am not suret that supermarkets are cheaper [dont go so nothing to compare with tbh] as I assume the shop there invloves impulse buys that negate any saving.

poly
    Free Member

Jenbe,

This seems to be a forum to explain to a lot of middle class part time country side users, with disposable income to elect where they buy their milk and cheese – but don’t let that stop you reinforcing a few stereotypes of your own (e.g. farmers as grumpy, arrogant, townie hating etc). It seems that if those with the inside knowledge on the economics of farming fail to communicate them to those that are removed from the detail – then they only have themselves to blame when we look cynically on the “we’re making a loss” type claims, and leave it to market forces to sort itself out.

donsimon
    Free Member

all you townie farmer hating morons can go **** youre selves!

This is a joke, right?

jenbe
    Free Member

Jenbe,

This seems to be a forum to explain to a lot of middle class part time country side users, with disposable income to elect where they buy their milk and cheese – but don’t let that stop you reinforcing a few stereotypes of your own (e.g. farmers as grumpy, arrogant, townie hating etc). It seems that if those with the inside knowledge on the economics of farming fail to communicate them to those that are removed from the detail – then they only have themselves to blame when we look cynically on the “we’re making a loss” type claims, and leave it to market forces to sort itself out.

ok to explane to these people 🙂 the food that tescos sells is rather like the bikes halfords sell..have you noticed that all the vegitables look rather odly cut up, with no leaves, they look terrible and go off a lot faster, apprently this is what the consumer wants, any thing that dosent meet their high specifications goes to waste, we used to be able to sell this stuff at markets, but tesco have destroyed most of them. so much waste just so it will fit in the plastic bag, also many chemicals have to be used to make sure ther are no marks or any thing, so of thse chemicals are so toxic that one drop on youre tongue and youre good as dead. this includes ORGAINIC they also use chemicals, just ORGANIC based ones,we often use the same ones on a normall farm, theyt are every bit as toxic and deadly!!! its all a con, ive knowe that the supermarkets more than turn a blind eye to non orgainic vegtables been labled as organic..the super markets have wiped out all of the milk processors in many areas, meaning the only people you can sell to are tesco, etc.. there is no where else to sell the milk! if this does not end soon, all milk will come from other countries with much lower well-fair standards, even the biggest milk farmers are really struggling, and their are only so many poncey cheese producers the market can bare..farming is not like other business, with out it the country side wont bee the same, it will be covered in brambles and gorse the the most part, with shitty golf clubs in between!

totalshell

as a happily ex employee look at it from another angle. tesco is the larget employer in the country bar the govt. tesco pays more tax in the uk than any other british company. 18% of us shop there EVERY week. almost half of all british based pension funds hold assets in Tesco. more union members in tesco than there ever were in the mines british leyland the post office and on the railways.. over 3500 employees earn more than 50k.

they aint great but they aint all bad

the farmers dont have to sell to them the road hauliers dont have to move thier stuff and yet they do they fall over themselves to do it..

jenbe
    Free Member

as a happily ex employee look at it from another angle. tesco is the larget employer in the country bar the govt. tesco pays more tax in the uk than any other british company. 18% of us shop there EVERY week. almost half of all british based pension funds hold assets in Tesco. more union members in tesco than there ever were in the mines british leyland the post office and on the railways.. over 3500 employees earn more than 50k.

they aint great but they aint all bad

the farmers dont have to sell to them the road hauliers dont have to move thier stuff and yet they do they fall over themselves to do it..
    yea but most tescos jobs are shitty no hope min wag things, id rather be on the game….

j_me
    Free Member

jenbe – Your argument is as articulate as it is compelling 😀

jenbe
    Free Member

the farmers dont have to sell to them the road hauliers dont have to move thier stuff and yet they do they fall over themselves to do it

whaty centuary are you in? the farmers take the goods to the loacl distribution depo, they ant collected for years, you need to do several lorry loads a day to make a living! im mean at least 1000 trays a day, which adds loads of wear to the tractor tyres, and they ant cheap, the super markets make money by exploiting situations in order to make unfair advantages in the market!

Kevevs
    Free Member

y’know what. come monday. You lot’ll be hitting the supermarkets. not a nice twee apple vendor. Minority opinion has no meaning with corporate giants. so just suck it up. Corporations rule.

cinnamon_girl

As usual, the great British public want instant gratification and they are unable/don’t want to understand the long-term implications.

Local Councils should take some of the blame – granting planning permission in return for infrastructure, ie roads being built.

Usual absence of morality and don’t dress it up as ‘good business’.

Kevevs
    Free Member

agree with u there cinnamon girl. Just cos you’ve got the huge spending funds, doesn’t mean you can decimate places with corporate bisnezz. So, what if massive corporations bring money into an area. It’s nice that they pretend to care about local people/communities… so long as the targets are hit, everyone is happy. oh, hang on…

Junkyard
    Free Member

do they tell you all that during indoctrination induction week?#In particular

tesco pays more tax in the uk than any other british company

THIS article goes into great detail about their [legal] tax avoidance and secrecy and says their exact tax bill is unknown so I am not sure what you base that claim on tbh.
    Evidence please ta

TooTall
    Free Member

just maybe this riot is the start of that!

No it isn’t. It is the locals of Stokes Croft being silly and the whole thing getting out of hand down there. It has more to do with squatters and trustafarians and achingly hip artistes than anything else.

The consumer wants, so the retailer sells. If the consumer cared enough – and as a whole, it doesn’t – then things would look different.

Kevevs
    Free Member

shoppers don’t give a shit!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If the consumer cared enough

It seems that consumers in the Stokes Croft area care enough.

iDave
    Free Member

“tesco is the larget employer in the country bar the govt. tesco pays more tax in the uk than any other british company. 18% of us shop there EVERY week. almost half of all british based pension funds hold assets in Tesco. more union members in tesco than there ever were in the mines british leyland the post office and on the railways.. over 3500 employees earn more than 50k.”

why is any of that positive? it’s just a list of facts. facts that have **** all to do with tesco being ‘good’ or bad.

donsimon
    Free Member

jenbe – Member

i take it most of the anti farmer comments come from stupid lower middle class townies, that read the guardian and think any one that does not think like them must be evil or stupid!

all you townie farmer hating morons can go **** youre selves!

This is a joke, right?
    I guess it wasn’t a joke, and I should help the farming community, because?
    Not just lazy, but lazy, ungrateful and quite insulting.

yunki
    Free Member

I should help the farming community, because?

are you the minister for agriculture.?? Have you constructed jenbe as a troll to spark debate..? Is this the new Con-dem initiative for conducting micro referendums through the medium of singletrack..?
    is it..? is it..?
    are you vox popping for countryfile..?

very good.. I love it.. I especially love your blinkered hardline capitalist counter stance to jenbe’s worried grass roots standpoint..
    A1.. I claim my £5.. is it bedtime yet..?

quite insulting

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I quite like Tesco- it keeps the riff-raff out of Waitrose.

totalshell

tesco dont pay minimum wage they dont pay anything near it. min wage is 5.93 ph tesco minimum grade for an adult is circa 6.90 an hour plus up to 6 weeks holidays 10% staff discount best private sector pension available ( so my pensions advisor tells me)extra payments for anti social hours it aint premier footballers wages but all in its better than a kick in the ..

project
    Free Member

We all have the ability to shop where we want, just like tv, if we dont have an intrest in the programe we dont have to watch it.

What i look for in a shop , is freindly staff, clean loking staff,quality of the produce, reasonable price, smaller queues, efficent staff who can handle stress, and clear prices.

Not as in a lot of small shops, indifferent aged staff, dodgy tills, that items arent rung into, (tax avaoidance possibly), high prices, out of date stock, and a stupid attitude amongst certain retail staff in small shops of dropping the change into your hand as if your unclean.

Finally diry shelves, cans covered in a layer of dust, because they dont sell many,limited parking, chargeing cash machines etc.

Tesco wins on all,and clubcard points .

FINALLY THE SQUATTERS , WHY DID THEY NEED OR WHERE ABLE TO BUY PETROL, PROBABLY TESCO, with a money off voucher.

bullheart
    Free Member

Hand on heart, I don’t give a shit about this thread for one reason only.

SPELLING! How hard can correct spelling be?? Really?? Just read through your posts and check beforehand, please.

C’mon people, help me out here…

(Bullheart Teacher mode shut-down initiated)

Kevevs
    Free Member

can I have a kiss project?
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeHdIDeUsEY&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

donsimon
    Free Member

??
    Show me where I’ve insulted anyone.

SPELLING! How hard can correct spelling be?? Really?? Just read through your posts and check beforehand, please.

C’mon people, help me out here…
    Painful, isn’t it?

don simon
    (English teacher).

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Just to stick my two pence worth in…

Their fruit and nut flapjack is rather nice. 😀

yunki
    Free Member

Show me where I’ve insulted anyone

the whole tone of your entire contribution verged on more than one occasion into the realms of insulting behaviour.. please don’t be so obtuse as to deny it..

I stand by my assertion that you are Michelle Gildernew and the input of both jenbe and yourself on this thread have been an elaborate fabrication..

I like their value mozarella FWIW

donsimon
    Free Member

the whole tone of your entire contribution verged on more than one occasion into the realms of insulting behaviour.. please don’t be so obtuse as to deny it..

Do you apply that to anyone who has a differing view from you? That’s so absurd it’s funny.
    I would like to respect the opinion of the person who wrote this…

are you the minister for agriculture.?? Have you constructed jenbe as a troll to spark debate..? Is this the new Con-dem initiative for conducting micro referendums through the medium of singletrack..?
    is it..? is it..?
    are you vox popping for countryfile..?

very good.. I love it.. I especially love your blinkered hardline capitalist counter stance to jenbe’s worried grass roots standpoint..
    A1.. I claim my £5.. is it bedtime yet..?
    I really would…
    And if you feel I’ve insulted your intelligence, I apologise but can hardly be held responsible, can I?

TooTall
    Free Member

It seems that consumers in the Stokes Croft area care enough.

Yet they do nothing about the massage parlours down the road and the sexual exploitation of women that entails? Funny old world, eh?

yunki
    Free Member

simon..

thankyou..

I rest my case..

FWIW I don’t have an opinion on the matter.. I was taking in interest in the thread in the hope of becoming more informed..

your point was very clear but your condesending way of presenting it has made me question your integrity..
    and now you’ve obviously had too much beer and sun so continuing this evening would be futile..

glad you had a good day though..

BoardinBob

whaty centuary are you in

One where the dictionary has been invented

donsimon
    Free Member

yunki, seriously, you think that having a point of view and trying to offer advice/solutions is insulting?

poly
    Free Member

Jenbe – I really don’t know why I’m disucssing this with you as you are far too blinkered to see that farmers are part of the problem. If individually and collectively you support the supermarkets bad practices then you’re only encouraging them. If its so bad, then get out – it sounds like you might earn more per hour, and get better conditions working at the till in the local tescos!

farming is not like other business, with out it the country side wont bee the same, it will be covered in brambles and gorse the the most part, with shitty golf clubs in between!

you mean back to how it was before farmers started cultivating the land? (well obviously there were no golf courses then).

yunki
    Free Member

simon.. I was insulted by your constant inferral that producers are lazy and feckless..

most people managing traditional farms that I have met have been too busy working themselves to death to be lazy or feckless.. and certainly too busy to learn marketing and sales as you have suggested..
    you implied that all the fault was on them..

do you also expect doctors to be roadsweepers and builders to be lawyers..?

your viewpoint seems based on a few examples that have been successful.. not every circumstance can be the same.. thus I found your viewpoint very blinkered.. and your condescension inappropriate, misinformed.. self indulgent and insulting..

your whole argument seems to centre on the belief that farmers need to act their act together..
    Now as far as I know the service that farmers were providing prior to the rise of the supermarket was perfectly acceptable to society.. it is only big business that needs the farming industry to pull it’s socks up.. not to improve the service for the consumer.. but to improve profit margins for the distributor..

so your argument is quite likely to invoke some ire..

donsimon
    Free Member

farming is not like other business,

Why not?
    Or to put it another way, people I speak to in the pharmceutical business tell me it’s not like any others business, as do those in the construction industry, I’d say the photography business is different. What is a normal business?

jenbe
    Free Member

don simon, [post edited, Mod]

donsimon
    Free Member

simon.. I was insulted by your constant inferral that producers are lazy and feckless..

Look at the reactions of both Jenbe and, I think, Jonah Tonto, who after repeated attempts to enlighten them simply rejected everything and demanded sympathy. If you are faced with a choice of learning something new or failing, I think I’d want to learn something new rather than comtinuing doing the same thing that got me into the mess.
    Jenbe’s rejection of selling the milk himself directly to the consumer was rejected with a claim that the equipment would cost millions, this I somehow doubt. I was talking about selling green top where you would need a filter a cooler and a small bottling plant. As a farm local to my UK base has done this already and has been operating this for some years, I can’t see the million pound investment. Rejected out of hand, not even willing to look at it, yes, lazy.
    Co-operatives? A system that works very well with the small farms in Spain, rejected, but the sympathy is still expected. If you can’t help yourself…
    And, finally, if the truth hurts…

donsimon
    Free Member

don simon, [edited. Mod]

Thanks. 😉
    [EDIT] no problems with the spelling there. 😆

yunki
    Free Member

I don’t think that consitutes a win yet simon.. not really

maybe what’s needed is a more suitable persona to promote your undoubtably valuable contribution..?

as I said.. I know little about this subject but found it interesting.. and I feel that I have learnt a lot.. I hope people on both sides of the debate can learn to do the same..

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yet they do nothing about the massage parlours down the road and the sexual exploitation of women that entails?

Straw man I’m afraid. Sounds like you have a problem with them though. Will you be going down there to protest? And hey, at least they’re not Tesco massage parlour. Every little helps…and all that.

jenbe
    Free Member

Co-operatives? A system that works very well with the small farms in Spain, rejected, but the sympathy is still expected. If you can’t help yourself…
    And, finally, if the truth hurts…

yea in Spain the government helps its farmers not like hear, you are a teacher so in my experience you know **** about shit! and you’re pay pack reflects that!

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 200 total)

The topic ‘Seriously do people dislike Tesco this much ?’ is closed to new replies.