Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • selling advice – thank you please
  • special_noodles
    Free Member

I’ve been trying to sell my Norco Sight 2 for a little while but I’m not having any luck on here. Whilst I accept that people may not want a giant sized full sus (i’m 6ft 5), I was wondering if you kind folk could recommend other good places to sell bikes?

Failing that, those of you that have had success can you share the secrets of you well worded ads?

(I’m not linking to it in this forum as that feels wrong, but it’s currently on the ‘for sale’ board)

thanking you in advance

Yak

I would strip it and sell all the bits individually.

sideshow
    Free Member

Pinkbike
    ride.io

…and of course ebay, though watch the 10% fees on selling. Fees to list are minimal. You can sell using “buy it now or best offer” which is safer than an auction in terms of getting the price you want though likely to attract less attention.

njee20
    Free Member

Agree with splitting, massive bikes (or tiny ones) are always harder to sell, but that’ll play to your strength in other areas – your steerer and hoses will be long enough that they’ll fit any size bike etc.

Otherwise just get it on eBay.

chakaping
    Free Member

Pinkbike is much better than the classifieds here for your bike.

It’s a lot more searchable, so freakishly tall people will be able to find your ad for weeks after you post it.

Here it’s about two hours.

And you can vet buyers to an extent, by looking at their profiles and comments on the site if they have any. Easy to work out if you’re dealing with a teenage virtual tyre kicker.

🙂

nemesis
    Free Member

XL frames will always have a limited market as you’ve said.

Other things to note:

– You’re pretty much a classifieds only user – that often puts people off
    – Not many second hand bikes sell over £1k – people usually don’t want complete builds with your spec and that have no warranty.
    – You’re asking for more than 50% of the RRP for a bike that has had unknown use and as above, no comeback if it breaks on the first ride. Standard formula is 50% off for the first year and then 10% per year after that.
    – You want collection or posting at their expense – that adds to the already high price

For high value bikes, you’re almost always much better off splitting so that people can buy the parts they want.

Or failing that, ebay on a zero fees weekend where it’ll sell for what it’s worth.

special_noodles
    Free Member

Wicked thanks you lot

Nemesis – nice food for thought, thanks

Chakaping, Sideshow – will scope out pinkbike

Yak, Njee20 – if that lot fails, i’ll break out the spanners

nemesis
    Free Member

I’m the same height as you BTW – I’ll take it for £1k 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

OK, had a look at the advert now. I’m afraid to say I think £1,000 is about the right price.

140mm bikes still go for reasonable money in 26″ but many big riders will be considering 29ers as well.

You might get more by splitting it or you might get around the same IMO.

z1ppy

Take a better pictures, as in lower the dropper so it’s doesn’t look stupidly tall, I know it’s an XL & probably fine for you to ride, but there no need to make it look like a freakish gate in the pictures (I’d dump the pink grips for the same reason). I’d also consider selling at least the dropper separately, as you’ll get more for it and be able to lower the overall price of your bike (more likely to sell)

Ps: There a XL 2012 Sight 3 on FB that going £875 (& been there a while), so maybe as above your price expectation are a little high.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Yep, split it. Everything will sell well separately. You’ll get at least £100 for the Reverb, £45 for the bars etc (I recently sold some).

Alternatively, sell all the good bits (bars, seatpost, wheels, drivetrain, brakes) and buy some cheap replacements to make up a ‘poverty spec’ bike to sell at £750 or so. More work but you’ll make a lot more and it’ll be easier to get rid of the frame that way. The frame will be the most difficult thing to sell for decent money.

nemesis
    Free Member

I’m not so sure on that. There are tall people who’ll want the frame on its own I reckon (priced right of course) given that it got great reviews.

Tracey

From my experience I would split it and take good quality pictures of everything and post them with the advert. Do some research on second hand prices and factor in Paypal and postage fees. Some of the low priced stuff may not be worth the time, effort and hassle of selling when you factor in these costs. Have in mind what the minimum you would be prepared to take. Be prepared for a lot of time wasters. If it doesn’t sell then ask yourself why. Persevere with it, advertise it at different times on different days. Eventually someone will come along who wants what you have got for a price you are willing to accept.

Deveron53
    Free Member

I had trouble selling my large SB95 alu frame for more than £600. How much are you thinking for your frame on it’s own?

(I decided to keep my Yeti btw)

marky29er
    Free Member

Ebay every time as a buy it now with offers for 30 days, it will go eventually.
    I’ve sold 3 bikes recently, tried on here, bikeradar, pinkbike etc, nothing works like ebay.

special_noodles
    Free Member

Thanks again for the advice, will try some better (pink grip free) photography and if that doesn’t work – I’ll be splitting it up. Cheers!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘selling advice – thank you please’ is closed to new replies.