Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Selling a car – road fund license
  • petrieboy

I’ve agreed a sale on my car and the guy is coming to do the transaction on Saturday morning. He’s not able to drive it away until Tuesday. Not a problem, it can sit on my driveway, he understands he’ll be responsible for it and it’ll no longer be insured by me.

My understanding is I’ll get a refund on Decembers tax automatically because it stopped being mine on 28th Nov. When he goes to tax it on the 1st, will he get spanked for November too? Is it possible for him to SORN it on Saturday??

Not really my problem but nobody likes paying extra tax for no reason so I’ll help if I can.

nickdavies

He’ll pay tax for the month he taxes it in. I.e. First of Dec hell pay tax for December, 30th November hel pay for all of November.

If it’s on your drive no need to sorn it for a weekend. Just send your v5 off and let him re tax it.

Mine sat outside my house for a week this month as I’d totally forgotten the rules had changed until a thread on here reminded me – that stung as technically I bought the car off myself so I had to pay November twice…

GrahamS

road fund license

petrieboy

@graeme – I was concentrating so hard on not saying road tax I got it even more wrong! I’m so ashamed!! 😉

spacemonkey

As above, you complete the online “no longer my car” form and the Gov will eventually* refund you Dec onwards. Your buyer is obliged to get the vehicle taxed from date of ownership, ie 1st Dec in this instance.

*Still waiting for my refund 5 weeks after selling the Audi. Received the “you no longer own this car” letter within days but no ****ing money.

bruneep

tried to to my VED refund tonight.

“This service is only available Monday to Saturday 08:00 to 18:00.” 🙄

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

My understanding is I’ll get a refund on Decembers tax automatically because it stopped being mine on 28th

You won’t get it automatically; you have to claim it back before the new month. You’ll get a cheque in a week or so.

“This service is only available Monday to Saturday 08:00 to 18:00.”

unbelievable, innit?

spacemonkey

You won’t get it automatically; you have to claim it back before the new month. You’ll get a cheque in a week or so.

Nope, not necessarily. I’m 5 weeks in and still no cheque.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Having just gone though this, he won’t be able to SORN it on the new owners slip. I bought a car at the end of the month and thought I’d SORN it until the first, but only had the option to tax it. Funny that…
    Left it 3 days until the first and was then able to tax it from the first of that month.

squirrelking
    Free Member

If he’s insuring it he’ll need to tax it.

If he’s not he’ll need to SORN it.

Those are the rules.

(also selling car, tax and insurance run out on Monday)

fourbanger
    Free Member

Although he won’t be able to SORN it until the logbook comes through…

bruneep

Got my refund in the post yesterday

squirrelking
    Free Member

Although he won’t be able to SORN it until the logbook comes through…

Unless he sends the V890 form by post.

Bloody stupid system, obviously designed to milk money. Why would I need to tax and insure a rolling chassis that has no MOT? There should be a SORN option on the new keepers certificate.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I could have helped you with this, as I’ve gone through the same thing.
    I’d agreed the sale of a car to a friend at the 1st of December, so wanted to know about taxing the replacement. Spoke to DVLA, was advised to cancel the DD for the existing DD and then submit the change of ownership form. Thus they cannot take any further payments (we’re on monthly DD for the VED). The fact that the V5 cannot be found and so he cant tax it until the replacement V5 turns up is another matter.

With regards to refunds, they will only refund complete months, so if you’re halfway through a month you’ll lose that part month of the refund.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Selling a car – road fund license’ is closed to new replies.