Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Seiko Kinetic Servicing
  • vorlich
    Free Member

Good evening.

I’ve recently inherited my dad’s old Kinetic (he’s not dead, he just doesn’t wear it 😀 ) it needs a service as I think the capacitor has gone. The second hand is moving two at a time. Can anyone out there offer a recommendation for a bit of a service, etc?

He’s also given me my grandad’s old Omega Seamaster, which despite being gold, I actually quite like. It seems the old Mercury batteries have been disco’d, so I need a spacer to get it working.

cranberry
    Free Member

I had the same problem with a Kinetic some years ago – any jeweler will be able to send it back to Seiko.

When I got mine back there was no bill – Seiko repaired it free of charge.

vorlich
    Free Member

Sure. I was just wondering about other options.

I saw this

Russell96

I was looking at the place in Warrington too, apparently there’s a set of capacitors that can be replaced which will cure the charging issue. I just need to get off my backside and book mine in with him.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

been meaning to do this with mine as well – for about 18 months 😳

eep

I used kinetic repairs. Watch came back in the stated time and has been faultless since.

I’d use them again.

finishthat
    Free Member

there is an ebay seller who sells a kit to repair – has a lithium battery instead of capacitor – I had a capacitor replaced by seiko years ago and it never worked – note that the lithium capacitor replacement depends on being used
    but does have a long running time – nice watches

Defender
    Free Member

You could try Watch Doctors, Tring in Hertfordshire. I’ve not tried them for Kinetic repairs or servicing, but they’ve done mechanical repairs etc. on my watches.

maxtorque

I brought the Cap repair kit off of that there Ebay. And fitted it myself (And a nice new, genuine strap too). Not too difficult a job, but make sure you work above a very clean worksurface, with a tray or something to catch the IMPOSSIBLY small screws that need removing.

vorlich
    Free Member

Thanks folks, I’ll look into a few of those options

AD

Before you get it serviced it might be worth just wearing it for a bit! Mine goes into a ‘move 2s’ mode when the charge state is low…

vorlich
    Free Member

Cheers, the manual does mention the two second jump as a ‘feature’ when charge is low, it has been sat in a drawer for a good few years, but he pointed out it was acting up prior to him retiring it, I think he’s had the cap done once previously.

He’s been threatening to give me his Breitling as he struggles to read the face these days. I’ll be happy to have it once he pops his clogs, but not before! The Seiko is reasonably chunky, but the Breitling dwarfs it!

CountZero

Nice watch, that Kinetic, certainly worth getting it seen to. I do prefer a standard auto though, no phaffing around with having to get caps replaced.
    Good selection of watches to inherit there, lucky you!

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

What Breitling have you got? The Omega Sea master is a lovely piece and you should wear it lots but its an auto so doesn’t need a battery unless I’ve got my wires crossed from your post

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Send it to Chris at http://www.chealwatch.com He is a perfectionist as well as a great guy. He’s also a mountain biker and webmaster of Bedgebury bike club.

vorlich
    Free Member

What Breitling have you got?

It’s not mine yet, and hopefully not for a good few years! But I have no idea. 😳

A quick google suggests it’s a Navitimer 1461

EDIT. here’s the Seamaster. It’s Quartz, I’ve found a supplier online who does compatible cells.

leffeboy

I think that seamaster is the first watch i’ve seen that i would really quite like, it’s really rather lovely

vorlich
    Free Member

Its not a style that would’ve appealed to me a couple of years ago, but the older I get, I can see myself wearing it quite often. It may even be most precious to me, as I’ll think of both my dad and grandad when I wear it. Pity I have no kids to pass it on to when I go…

Apparently, it’s never been quite right since it was bought and is prone to stopping for no good reason every once in a while. It’s not the original winder either as it came away in my dad’s hand on more than one occasion.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Seiko Kinetic Servicing’ is closed to new replies.