• This topic has 33 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Seen what Grayson Perry has built?
  • globalti
    Free Member

Following on from the discussion a few days ago…. the more I see of him the more I admire him!

somafunk

I dunno what it’s meant to be but it’s **** awful

MrNice
    Free Member

I really like his work and he’s a very interesting chap. My parents seemed a little bemused when I said the book I wanted last xmas was the autobiography of a cross-dressing potter…

EDIT: What is it and where is it? I want to know more before leaping to judgement

richmars

Should have been on Grand designs.
    How did he get planning permission?

d45yth
    Free Member

I can’t weigh the bloke up…obviously talented, comes across well, but why he needs to dress as a child’s doll is beyond me. Transvestites’ are one thing but dressing like he does is creepy.

milkyman
    Free Member

He dresses like a sissy, there is a big differance between that and a tranny

ThePinkster

That’s amazing. Where is it?

maccruiskeen

Its down in Wrabness / Essex I think – iirc its a rentable holiday home and one of a series of other unusual build projects that are all bookable for holidays – ‘Holiday homes in modern architecture’

How did he get planning permission?

He’s an Essex boy and there was ‘strong local support’

His book ‘Portrait of the artist as a young girl’ is superb. The way it was written is interesting – he didn’t write it, he spoke it, in a small number of interviews – as monologues – and it was pretty much just written down verbatim from them. But the way he speaks is so economical, his words are so well chosen, you’d never guess.

Jamie
    Free Member

I dunno what it’s meant to be but it’s **** awful

Going to have to +1 this one.

duntstick
    Free Member

Let’s face it. He’s not blessed with good taste!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Looks like a public bog just outside the Moscow metro.

brakes
    Free Member

for some reason because it’s Grayson Perry’s it seems somewhat less hideous and gaudy… funny that.

somafunk

As capt’n flash says……the tiled outside looks like the interior of those underground toilets that used to be in Glasgow years ago and the roof looks like it’s made out of the old urinals and as for the roof designs?.

I’m perfectly convinced that Grayson Perry has a talent of some sort but i’m not going to join in the big old friendly soggy biscuit/circle jerk that follows along behind him like a wounded puppy dog so i’l admit to being a total philistine and say that i just don’t get it/him/her/whatever it is he does in the slightest and if i never hear anymore about him or from him in my lifetime then i won’t be upset.

There…that’s me ostracised myself from the STW luvvies for ever, and you know what?…i couldn’t give a flying fornication.

Give me some Pollock or Rothko and i’ll work myself into a trouser froth but as for Perry?…mleh!……

budgierider67

Don’t like that but I do love his new series on Channel 4.

Jamie
    Free Member

There…that’s me ostracised myself from the STW luvvies for ever, and you know what?…i couldn’t give a flying fornication.

Not really. Just say you don’t like it, and I am sure Perry fans will be fine with that.

One can try a bit too hard to put themselves on the periphery.

trailmonkey

Looks like a public bog just outside the Moscow metro.

and that makes it a bad thing because……… ???

MrNice
    Free Member

you do seem a bit worked up about the fact you don’t like it. I thought that was half the point of art, that we all like different things. Would be bloody boring if everyone had exactly the same taste.

brakes
    Free Member

me thinks the lady doth protest too much

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Oh God! Is that real? I hoped it was in Minecraft…

RustySpanner

Reminds me of a cross between

and

I like it.

rewski
    Free Member

Soma funk, chill bro, It’s a only a shrine to Julie. He’s views on tattoos were spot on. Watch one show if you can be arsed.

somafunk

Godammit!…I’m outed as a closet perry-phile

a closet Perry-phile?…..i bet i could make a living out of that if i got a publicist….or a headline in the local paper…….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

and that makes it a bad thing because……… ???

No idea. I didn’t say it did.

I think the Moscow metro is an architectural masterpiece. Every time I’ve been to Moscow, I’ve slipped away from work/colleagues/minders just to go and see it.

I mean, just look!

Garry_Lager

I’m perfectly convinced that Grayson Perry has a talent of some sort but i’m not going to join in the big old friendly soggy biscuit/circle jerk that follows along behind him like a wounded puppy dog so i’l admit to being a total philistine and say that i just don’t get it/him/her/whatever it is he does in the slightest and if i never hear anymore about him or from him in my lifetime then i won’t be upset.

Fair comment – until the last line, which is bollox I am afraid. If you never hear from him again you wouldn’t be upset? The one thing he is unequivocally brilliant at is communicating art.
    You can think he’s a self-publising charlatan of mediocrity when it comes to his own stuff (I mean just look at the subject of this thread), but hearing from him? That is always worthwhile as he is a truly gifted spokesperson for art.

molgrips
    Free Member

I must admit I didn’t like him until I heard him talk. Just love listening to him. Top bloke/doll/thing 😉

somafunk

I never said that he’s a self-publicising charlatan of mediocrity, in fact i asserted the belief that i’m convinced he has a talent of sorts as he is respected by people and artists that i respect wholeheartedly and without question so the real issue that i put across is that i just don’t get him or where he’s coming from – his artistic style leaves me cold and indifferent to what i am viewing which some may say is a valid comment on his work which could be construed as a reaction – vis-à-vis -> ART so perhaps by not getting him i also aknowledege the fact that it is art but it is of a form or interpretation that i do not feel comfortable with.

Anyway…that’s beside the point as i’m now away to jump in the car and drive 2hrs to a real live art show here, at the sub-club halloween party dressed as a rotten corpse – i sincerely hope i do not get pulled up on the journey…they’ll be a bit of explaining to do.

I imagine i’ll surface sunday afternoon after spending the weekend dragging my putryfying corpse around various after parties….just like so many other weekends then eh?.

Trick or treat……..admittingly i have a pocket full of treats to last me at least 36 hrs…… 😉

RustySpanner

Don’t do anyone I wouldn’t do.
    🙂

Northwind

Nice lego house, with a dash of teletubbies inspiration in the windows

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Brilliant.

There has to be room for something more than boring boxes.

Art should be some sort of statement, not a Barrett home in a culture-de-sac

uponthedowns
    Free Member

He’s well on the way to becoming a national treasure

batfink
    Free Member

I really like that

stanfree
    Free Member

I actually think the guy is brilliant. The last episode of “Who are you” was fantastic when he pretty much made the Orange Order realise that the rest of Great Britain really didn’t much about the Union. I think that most people including myself wouldn’t really watch shows about Tapestries or Pottery so he is breaking boundaries in my book.
    Channel 4 with the Grayson and Guy Martin shows is fast becoming the only channel I feel the need to catch up on , barring Peaky Blinders obviously.

stever
    Free Member

I actually felt the Northern Ireland piece was the least respectful of the ones I’d seen. In a sense he’d nailed it, but didn’t manage to bring them along with him like he had with most of the others. He’s a great commentator though, always worth listening to. On his way to National Treasure for sure – shuffle up Alan Bennett.

MSP

It’s a bit of an odd picture, it makes it hard too get a sense of its size, also seems a bit short on ground floor windows.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Seen what Grayson Perry has built?’ is closed to new replies.