Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Second Avro Lancaster – yahoo!
  • tyger
    Free Member
    Kato

Brilliant!

nbt

I just did a little wee in my pants

redthunder
    Free Member

🙂

Kuco

Be nice to see it in the air 🙂

nomakoman
    Free Member

that has been ongoing for years, it actually flew the other year during a fast taxi run (they got a hefty fine for it). My dad used to fly models from the far end of the airfield until the they got too many complaints from some southern woman who moved into a house nearby about noise 🙄

geordiemick00
    Free Member

I’ve been on it too, £120 for a taxi ride and then they stop and spin the engines up to full RPM for a while to let everyone experience the noise of those magnificent motors. It’s at East Kirby musuem near Horncastle. My motorbike club has an annual memorial get together every July there and they pull it out for that.

About six year ago a spitfire used to do a short 5 minute personal display, he used to break every rule in the book and fly over your heads at about 50ft, I’ll see if I can dig out a video of it, something spectacular to say the least

Trimix
    Free Member

I wonder if the Germans get as excited as we do about old war machines. Hopefully they do and perhaps we could re-enact a dog fight ?

As a kid I always prefered the model German bombers I used to make – they looked more mean and menacing and I thought the ME109 was brilliant with the gun in the nose.

benslow
    Free Member

Brilliant !

😀

I’ve been looking to do a taxy ride in that for a while and now I know the money will be going to getting it flying I’m even more determined.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/lancaster-taxy-rides/vip-day.htm

EDIT: CHUFFIN ELL!!!! The cost of them’s gone up a lot since i did mine 😕 I suppose fuelling 108litre of finest engines isn’t cheap these days

Nobby

That is fantastic!

andrewh
    Free Member

There’s not a lot to be said for living in Linclnshire as far as the riding goes, but this is just down the road from me. Also the BBMF is local so I do get to the see the flying Lanc quite often, usually with it’s retinue of Spitfires and Hurricanes. There’s a Dakota nearby too, and also the Red Arrows practice not too far away and I see them quite often.
    There is a Vulcan at Waddington and another at Newark (with a Shackleton) but these don’t fly 🙁

duckman

Amazing!

aracer
    Free Member

CHUFFIN ELL!!!! The cost of them’s gone up a lot since i did mine I suppose fuelling 108litre of finest engines isn’t cheap these days

Supply and demand, shirley – and arguably they could still charge more if they’re currently fully booked ages in advance (which doesn’t surprise me at all at that price – well within the realms of a special birthday present from your family).

Just off to get the dust out of my eyes.

tomhoward

My Dad is doing the fast taxi in May, we got it him for his birthday in April, last year. Massive demand for this, no suprise really, looks ace!

anjs
    Free Member

Its actually the third. There is another one flying in Canada.

nomakoman
    Free Member

andrewh – Member
    There’s not a lot to be said for living in Linclnshire as far as the riding goes

there’s plenty about if you know where to look mate 😉

tony_m
    Free Member

Got a taxy-ride booked for 15th October this year, which would have been my late father’s 90th birthday – he was a Flight Engineer on Lancs with 550 Sqdn in 1945, and this seemed like a good way to mark the occasion and remember him (and his comrades).

Mikkel
    Free Member

My German colleagues get quite exited about seeing the Lancaster flying.
    I got a video where you can hear one of them going on about how amazing it is as it do a pass 100ft right over our heads 🙂

tyger
    Free Member

Dam buster version would be good 🙂

andrewh
    Free Member

there’s plenty about if you know where to look mate

You’ll be up Louth way I assume? I’m between Sleaford and Bourne 🙁

matt_outandabout

Beats taking up airfix kits when you retire..

imnotverygood

Shame there aren’t any mosquitos still flying in the UK

CountZero

Just been on BBC news as I was reading this! Imagine a fly-past with a pair of Lancs, with a bunch of Spitfires and several Hurricanes! 😀
    Now, if we could only get back the aircraft that Kermit Weeks bought and shipped to the US, like the only flying Mossie, the only flying Sunderland… 😥

itstig

I was talking to a chap at work who told me a story of a lancaster which crashed in the next door village. Suffering engine failure it didn’t have enough power to gain altitude so the crew hedge hopped in an attempt to land at Linton on Ouse a fighter base at the time They did not make it,bailed out (think all survived) and the plane crashed one and a half miles from the runway. The 3 running engines buried themselves in a field, the non runner, fusilage and wings remained on top. this debris was salvaged and taken away. The farmer dug the other 3 up sold 2 and still has one which he takes to a local vintage machinary show apparently it’s f****** massive. The engines had screwed themselves into the ground and were buried very deeply. I really must go and see it. I’m not sure it was a lancaster but it is the first people think of though.

Mikkel
    Free Member

The Merlin engines are actually not that massive.
    For the amount of power they dish out i would call them slim.

smartmonkey
    Free Member

I know the bloke who was the test pilot for this!
    http://nzcivair.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/shes-registered.html
    I first met Ryan when he was 16 and had just passed his PPL, He was talking about this being a possible project at a wedding in Sardinia in about 2006, and it’s just been flown.
    SM

itstig

Mikkel I havn’t seen this engine was repeating what I was told probably compared to a car!!

BrickMan

Few years ago they accidently got a Victor v bomber in the air :p Bet that was pretty exciting for everyone watching and the crew!

Cannot wait for this Lanc to get under way, isn’t there another in the states, thats in good running and technically flight worthy but won’t be given a ticket to allow it to actually break free from the tarmac :s

Norwester

Perhaps Peter Jackson might need some real taxi shots for his remake of the Dambusters classic movie? He already owns a line up of WW1 aircraft here in NZ.

Now that XH558 Vulcan is likely to be grounded after this year for good. Maybe this project could pick up the wave of enthusiastic donations from this instead.

And then you’ve got the People’s Mossie coming along nicely to compete with the recently restored KA114 FB26 by Avspecs that will be shipping to Jerry Yagen shortly.

Exciting times.

Mikkel
    Free Member

Just looked for some pictures of Merlin engines, and found one where it say its an engine from a Beaufighter which crashed, and engine got buried in a field, and was later restored.

I like how this one engine (and all its variants) was used in soooo many different planes.

Gary_C

Didn’t know until I saw the BBC report that this is the one & the same Lancaster that used to be at Blackpool Squires Gate years & years ago. I remember as a small boy looking round & clambering aboard it with my dear departed dad.

itstig

Just been doing a bit extra research the lancaster in my story was in fact a halifax ,the crash was after ww2 and from what I can find it was a mk 3 with a bristol hercules XV1 14 cylinder radial engine. That will teach me to get the right tale!

Mikkel
    Free Member

U got a tale about Merlin engine though 🙂

One of the aircraft museums in Denmark have a Merlin engine, it was from a spitfire and a farmer had bought it and used it to clear snow, by blowing it away lol
    But he once started it without a prop on it, and lets just say it did not like that.

sangobegger
    Free Member

Between this story and the chap who is about to start digging up spitfires in Burma, I reckon it’s going to be a golden year for aviation in the Uk this year. On a sadder note, we have the remains of a Mossie buried in the hills near Durness. I found the heel of a boot in the wreckage years ago, and looking down at it certainly made you think of what these lads sacrificed. Lest we forget!!!!!!

CountZero

Cannot wait for this Lanc to get under way, isn’t there another in the states, thats in good running and technically flight worthy but won’t be given a ticket to allow it to actually break free from the tarmac :s

There’s one other, a Canadian-made Mk X , FM213, long-time gate sentinel at the former British Commonwealth Air Training Base at present-day Goderich Airport in Ontario, has since been reborn in the collection of the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum at Hamilton Ontario, as one of only two flying Lancasters left in the world.

zokes
    Free Member

Just looked for some pictures of Merlin engines, and found one where it say its an engine from a Beaufighter which crashed, and engine got buried in a field, and was later restored.

Beufighters never used Merlins – they were all radials IIRC

Mikkel
    Free Member

To start with they where Radials, but was changed to Merlins.

zokes
    Free Member

I stand corrected – never knew that. I thought Spits / Hurris and teh Lanc had preference for Merlins (for that matter, hence the radial-powered MkII Lanc).

Macgyver

It’s cool to see it running isn’t it!
    Small world too, from a thread where someone knows the test pilot for the new NZ rebuilt mossie, I know the brother of the guy that rebuilt it!! I think it’ll be flying a little closer to home in April at an airshow in Virginia Beach. Still a jump acros the pond tho’

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Second Avro Lancaster – yahoo!’ is closed to new replies.