Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Seatpost mounted racks – Recommendations?
  • scandal42
    Free Member

Looking for a seat post mounted rack (no eyelets) for my road bike so that I can do some very light touring. Would be used for a few single overnight, 2 day rides that I have planned and so would only need to carry fairly lightweight gear.

I have seen a few alternatives but like the look of these. Any experiences or recommendations?

Something like this

belugabob
    Free Member

I have that type of rack (Topeak). Used it for a bit of commuting, and a 4 C2C trip.
    Definitely recommend them for light/moderate loads.
    Be sure to get the variant of the bag withe the drop down pannier side cheeks, as these provide more flexibility.

scandal42
    Free Member

Can you take the sides off if need be?

parkesie
    Free Member

Yup the sides are bolt on and the side bags fold up and zip into the bag. Or you can buy bags without the drop down sides.

TiRed

Topeak mtx. Personally, I prefer the bag without the fold-out side pockets. If you don’t use them, they are wasted space. For a credit card overnight tour, the largest bag with fixed pockets will be fine.

I’ve ridden mine off road without issue. They are great.

Note there are three styles, depending on frame size. I chose the V – lowest mounting to keep the weight low. I also added a Topeak mudflap and a Cateye rack-mount for my rear light. There is a pull out tray that I don’t use, but will hold a small inner tube, and a rubber strap that isn’t that useful either.

Avoid the cheapest version, the bag clip is plastic and snaps easily.

scandal42
    Free Member

Thanks all

robdob
    Free Member

I’ve been really impressed with the Topeak luggage recently – ok it’s not a boutique brand but it is superbly made and works brilliantly. The MTX system is great for rack packs, I’m actually going to change my Altura one which I have on a Tortec rack for a full Topeak MTX setup as it looks fantastic.

I can to the same conclusions about the fold down panniers – if you need that amount of space then get more luggage I think – I did the C2C on road with just a bar bag and rack pack so I’d prefer the extra side pockets.

smurfly13
    Free Member

Bit late to the party but….

I had the same thoughts – needed a rack but no eyelets at all.

Looked at the seatpost ones and most were too high or twist easily.

Ended up buying one that mounts to the QR skewer and seatpost clamp – used it lots and its fantastic – sturdy, well mounted and sits well.

This rack : http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Oxford-Adjustable-Carrier-Rack-Disc-Compatible_55674.htm?sku=155374&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=AdwordsProductAds&utm_campaign=Adwords&gclid=CLav69b128MCFQXmwgodLXQAsw (Blackburn do one called EX1, little more expensive)

And I used this seatpost clamp: http://www.tredz.co.uk/.M-Part-Seat-Clamp-Mount_34111.htm

benp1

How much you packing?

Have you thought about a bikepacking style seat pack? i.e Revelate Viscacha or something from Alpkit/Wildcat

winston
    Free Member

Not quick release but much nicer and a three point fixing is always going to be stronger

fourbanger
    Free Member

Just this morning fitted one of these to my Vaya.
    http://hubjub.co.uk/index.php/store/carrier-rack/nitto-r10-rear-bag-supporter-detail
    Made for saddle bags but its very sturdy now I’ve got it on there and would be fine with a rack bag like you’ve got pictured. Seems very nicely made.
    I’ll be cycle back to the UK from Germany next week sometime, so I can let you know how I get on.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Bridge Street bag of appropriate size – I got one from the Kickstart campaign and it’s excellent.

woody2000

I use a bridgestreet bag & as theflatboy says, they’re excellent. A med size bag could do 2 days light touring I reckon, the large bag definitely.

Mine’s a med

timba
    Free Member

How much do you need to carry? Carradice saddlebag and Bagman support?

hopefiendboy

try here for some lightweight inspiration

ultralight touring

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

I’ve used the topeak one you show in the original post for 5+ years now and it has been great. The only niggle I found is that on my commuter with a large frame, the rack is high enough up for the seat post mount to rub on the inside of my thigh when riding. Not a big deal but over a couple of years it wore through my winter bibs. I swapped the QR lever for a bolt which helped with this and keeps the rack more secure.

I put around 15kg on it every day commuting (work kit, gym kit, laptop, lunch etc) and its also had more than that for a 3 day bikepacking trip, all offroad, with no issues at all. Also use the matching Topeak bag, again highly recommended.

whitestone
    Free Member

One of the Carradice SQR bags maybe? I’ve one that I use for commuting and credit card based touring, it’s the earlier version of this -http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?page_id=product&under=range&url=sqrtour without the side pockets.

fasthaggis

LeJog setup ,it worked really well 🙂

jerrys
    Free Member

+1 for a Carradice saddlebag, but with an SQR mounting.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Seatpost mounted racks – Recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.