Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Searing burning under shoulder blade. Bike setup?
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

Purchased a new commute bike 3 weeks ago and I purchased the same size as my road bike and everything appears to be similar in terms of frame size / stem / saddle height ..

I have been commuting to work (30 miles) one way each day and there/back on Friday.

Trouble is, I have developed this nagging pain under my right shoulder blade. At first I thought it was a pulled muscle, but it does not matter which direction I stretch I cannot find anything that relieves it. I wake up the next day and the pain has subsided loads, but still slightly there. I am sure it’s the bike as it only comes on when I ride it. The one thing I do hate about the new bike is that the bars are round tube, where as my other bike has the bars which are pretty flat on the top. These are much more comfy.

I have read a few things regarding bar width / stem length … but I wanted to post on here to see whether anyone may have had similar issues and it was bike setup.

therevokid
    Free Member

all the measurements the same as the “comfy” bike?
    sounds like it’s not. sounds like too much weight on
    the hands so bigger saddle to bar drop ? is the saddle
    straight? twisting the pelvis will cause pains all over
    the shop !!

flanagaj
    Free Member

all the measurements the same as the “comfy” bike?
    sounds like it’s not. sounds like too much weight on
    the hands so bigger saddle to bar drop ? is the saddle
    straight? twisting the pelvis will cause pains all over
    the shop

Stem length is the same. Bar width is 45cm, where as 44cm on the other bike.

The new bike has rounded tube bars, where as my other bike has FSA wing bars which are flatter on the tops. I find they are much more comfortable as I don’t get the same pressure through the hands than the new round top bars.

The saddle issue is interesting. I have my saddle pointing rather nose down as if I don’t I find it uncomfortable. It’s a Spec Phenom with the cutout.

stevious

I have a similar thing and asked a physio friend about it. If its under your shoulder blade it’s not your shoulder muscles that are causing the pain – it’s your neck muscles. You’ll feel shoulder issues more at the joint itself.

The classic cause for this is using a laptop too much. I’ve sorted my pain out with a few neck stretches and by putting my work laptop on a stand so I’m not looking down.

If you feel it’s definitely the bike, then perhaps think about if your head position is different on the new bike.

ferrals
    Free Member

IANAD obs, but might also be instability in shoulder muscles, esp rotator cuff leading to some kind of impngement? I get this from time to time and stretching doesnt help but resistance band work does.

Along the lines ofthis, particularly the external rotation, can also be done with arm at angle from body.

flanagaj
    Free Member

The classic cause for this is using a laptop too much. I’ve sorted my pain out with a few neck stretches and by putting my work laptop on a stand so I’m not looking down.

That is very interesting. I started a new contract 10 weeks ago and my monitors are far too low and I haven’t done anything about it. I never thought looking at screens which are too low would be an issue.

As to head position on the bike, I suppose the best option is to put both on my turbo and get the wife to photo from the side so that I can compare the angles.

stevious

Monitor too low + mouse with right hand = sore right shoulder blade! have a go at gently massaging your neck muscles at the back and see if it gives you any change of sensation in the shoulder blade.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Monitor too low + mouse with right hand = sore right shoulder blade! have a go at gently massaging your neck muscles at the back and see if it gives you any change of sensation in the shoulder blade.

Will do. I’ll also ask for some stands on Monday to raise the height.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Searing burning = something tearing…

mountainman

Can you rotate your head fully to right or as much as you do to the left?

Could be neck muscle related as said above, do you use hot shower on neck shoulder after ride, might relax it .

polarisandy
    Free Member

I did a 6 hr loop of Coniston a week last friday, all prep for a C2C i was meant to be doing in 3 weeks time.
    Few days later developed pain along inner border of scapula.
    few days after that pins and needles in index finger and thumb on same side.
    Then i unwisely decided to see if it was the cycling that caused it so cycled up kirstone pass and a day or so later developed weakness in left triceps…

yes it might well just be musculoskeletal, it probably is but beware cervical nerve root irritation as a cause, C6 in my case, often presents with pain at the back of the shoulder near the scapula. sometimes has sensory and motor symptoms.

I have seen lots of people come in (i’m a doc) with “shoulder pain” when really it is C-spine in origin.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Searing burning under shoulder blade. Bike setup?’ is closed to new replies.