Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Screw-on freewheels and the correct tools
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

I’m in the process of re-fitting my commute bike with a new 7-speed screw-on cassette/freewheel and i can’t remember which type of lockring tool is needed.
    It’s a Shimano 14-28 freewheel, but i seem to recall that my standard Shimano lockring tool didn’t fit and i borrowed one from a mate. Is it the campag one that fits these freewheels?

Ta.

trail_rat
    Free Member

You need a shimano free wheel tool – not the lockring tool

You clamp tool in vice and turn the wheel round the tool

Keef
    Free Member

a cheap quick bodge if you don’t have the tool,is to hammer an old spark plug into the freewheel,porcelain end first (of course,you must remove the axel)then grip the threaded end of the plug in a vice,and unscrew thus.voila.

Keef
    Free Member

ps,decathalon sell the correct tool for about a fiver…….

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Thanks folks, i’ll look for one of those freewheel tools then. 🙂

BrickMan

you don’t need a tool to fit them, just a blob of anti-seize on the hub body threads, then hand tighten it, slap a chain on it and ride it tight. It will move a few times under load.

Taking off, any old shimano freehub tool, 99% of LBS have them in toolbox but only a few have them on the shelf to buy.

or are you talking about the weird shimano Uni-glide cassette body? Where the first 5/6 cogs push on like a modern cassette, then the last cog threads on with a lockring?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Not uniglide, regular old fashioned screw on freehub. Last time i did it i borrowed a mates campag fit tool that worked perfectly (he had the same bike) but i need one of my own now really. Seen a shimano freehub tool at £14.99 on CRC and a campag fit for £3.99 – i’m hoping thats the one!

TheBrick
    Free Member

If it’s screw on it’s free-wheel not free-hub you want to be searching for.

TheBrick
    Free Member
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Screw-on freewheels and the correct tools’ is closed to new replies.