• This topic has 137 replies, 47 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by kcr.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 138 total)
  • scottoiler ultimate bike spray… anyone using it?
  • alex283
    Free Member

Well I don’t know about rnr Lube, but I usually put some UBS on before I go out on a ride (about 2 hours usually cross-country) and haven’t needed to re-apply during the ride so far. Usually spray more on after I’ve washed the bike, but can’t say I do that after every ride…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Sprayed it on my bike before a motorway drive with it on the rear rack and it arrived filthy, you could see the bits of the frame that hadn’t been coated as they were much less grimy. So it doesnt work against that kind of muck.

Only got one ride on it in the mud and it washed off, suppose I should apply it to half the frame and then compare.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Been using a week or so on road bike, but only on transmission not frame etc.
    It does keep the transmission clean, maybe not quite as slick shifting as my usual finish line wet ceramic lube and it does take a while to get the hang of application – I spray on the chain while holding a rag behind to keep the overspray down, will probably decant some into a dropper bottle to keep waste down.
    So far, so good – will see how it lasts.

lovewookie

Been using it for a couple of weeks on the drivetrain, just as a give it a go it’s cheap enough option.

have to say I’m liking it. clean chain, no squeaking out on rides. simply spray it on before a ride, quick hose down after ride, dry off and reapply before sticking the bike in the shed. repeat for next ride.

No sticky black horrible degreaser defying gunk on the chain and chainrings, everything runs sweet.

why did we not have this 20 years ago?

Big-M
    Free Member

Bought some at the EWS last year, followed the instructions, clean bike, spray on everywhere (not discs) wipe with a rag, leave to dry. Ride bike, get muddy, wash off, bike comes up clean, reapply, repeat.
    It worked well for me but I can’t buy it locally so when I ran out I didn’t get any more. Will order some more..

carlphillips
    Free Member

im several filthy rides in now and my drivechain is squeaky clean with still no hint of black gunk…love the stuff.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Road bike was covered in an evil looking coat of “the dreaded black gunk” and garnished with a sprinking of road salt last night – quick splosh with a bucket of warm water and it was gleaming.
    Can’t see quite “how” it works but it certainly does work 😀

thegreatape
    Free Member

Up here in Scotland we are experts on grease and oil 🙂

domderbyshire
    Free Member

I’ve been using it for a few weeks now and I’m impressed. There is no build up of black gunk, it washes off easily and does indeed appear to lubricate the drivetrain. I’ve found that it took a few applications to get things up to speed and that a gentle brushing of the cassette post ride helps. Also, I use a dropper bottle for the chain and protect the discs when I reapply as it’s very runny. All in all, it seems a great product that does everything I need it to do, i.e. one product, instead of several. Everything is left beautifully clean. I still use Fenwicks suspension lube spray on the stanchions, dropper post and shock, mind you.

fingerbang
    Free Member

i don’t get how it doesn’t just wash off in splashy riding conditions though?

carlphillips
    Free Member

voodoo innit

mduncombe
    Free Member

Have recently started using UBS and have decanted some from their spray bottle into a small ex cosmetics pump spray. Makes application more precise and saves on wastage. far better than the supplied spray bottle or dropper.

this sort of thing, using this I can see it lasting ages

Ride
    Quick hose down just with water
    Spray on to cassette while turning cranks until chain covered
    spray on to front and rear mech
    spray onto SPDs
    On MTB spray around suspension pivots/shocks
    Spray onto rag and wipe frame down
    Put bike away

All done in a couple of minutes and the drive chain looks like new and ready to go again.

Its so quick to do I and now even doing the above after a 30 min cold and mucky lunch time road ride where as previously the bike would of been just thrown in the shed dirty until the next ride.

Not tested it on any long wet rides yet

Macavity
    Free Member

For an explanation

http://ultimatebikesolution.com/

“How it works
    Traditional bike lubricants include various tack additives to ensure that the lube stays on your chain. This in turn attracts dirt and grit from the road and will turn quickly into a black oily paste that requires a lot of hard work to remove.

Ultimate Bike Solution uses a mineral oil with no tack additives to ensure that your bike components are both lubricated and protected. UBS is applied through a water-based solution which is easy to apply and, if necessary, easy to remove.

Easier, better bike maintenance. ”

thegreatape
    Free Member

fingerbang – it probably does off the sides of the chain, but not, or at least not to the same degree, from the better protected innards of the rollers, where it’s needed. Maybe.

roverpig

If it’s water based, does the chain need to be dry, or can you wash the bike and apply it straight away to a wet chain?

StirlingCrispin

You can apply to a wet chain (as per the Scottoiler webpage).

It’s water-soluble so you’re just diluting it. That said, I wipe the chain with an old towel and then apply.

tallie
    Free Member

Any updates from those that bought around Christmas?

Did it work through winter?

How was it with mud and also the recent (brief) dry period for off road use?

Anyone successfully use it for commuting? If so how often did you re-apply?

Thinking of giving it a go so grateful for any feedback.

thegreatape
    Free Member

This is my chain and cassette, 9 months old and about 6 months from when I degreased it, since which it has only had UBS on it. After each ride it gets a rinse with water, a quick scrub with a brush, a wipe with a towel and a drop of UBS on each link. I’m pretty pleased with it and see no reason to change. It is very wet up here, and its generally a wet peaty mud that our bikes get covered with, so I don’t know that that’s the worst type going?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/rRnhNV]Untitled[/url] by thegreatape, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qUDXtk] [/url] by thegreatape, on Flickr

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Hmmmmmm…… My chain doesn’t look that clean after a deep clean. Not sure if this stuff is good, or you’re at it!.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Honest guv’nor…

Actually I have omitted the chain cleaner (Park one) – cassette gets the brush, chain gets the Park thingy – but that’s still only with either fresh water in it, or if it’s filthy I’ll use water from my bucket which has a splash of Hope Shifter in it, but that really is all.

It’s not in daily use, once or twice a week sadly, 2-3 hrs each time.

tallie
    Free Member

Looks good.

Anyone use it on a commuter?

carlphillips
    Free Member

Mine is still like new..
    I’ll not be looking elsewhere for any lube anytime soon.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Yep, it’s as good as they’re claiming, the one bije I’ve been using it on is a case of ride, rinse, reapply, repeat. Comes up a treat….only downsides are don’t apply it on any decent patio or Tarmac……..unless you like pretty water/oil patterns and dissolving Tarmac… Thankfully my Tarmac drive doesn’t have much Tarmac on it and I only have cheap nasty slabs and gravel everywhere else……..and its a definite no no for application in the garage……so if you have rubber flooring in the garage let the bike drip dry first before wheeling it back away in the garage or you’ll end up slip sliding like I did after first application 😆

gg14
    Free Member

Been using UBS for the last few months on my Trance. It really is very good stuff.

trailsnail
    Free Member

I bought of couple of bottles in autumn and have used UBS over the winter on my commuter bike and mtb. I was initially really taken with the idea of the products and it certainly washes off after each ride to leave a shiny chain. However I have soaked my chain with it after each ride (you do get quite a lot that drips off) and somehow my chains have shown a fair bit of corrosion, though mainly surface effect. It’s a water based solution and it is almost as though the corrosion inhibitors haven’t worked. I’ve recently changed both chains and have moved back to conventional oil for now. I loved the simplicity of UBS, lack of gunk etc, but the corrosion was surprising.

Maybe I got a bad batch, I might try it again in future as it was very easy maintainance.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Used all through winter and agree with the potential tarmac dissolving and slippery floor comments.
    I got fed up of the sprayer and decanted some to a dropper bottle, far better for chain lubing. Not seen any signs of corrosion, but do find it works better on a bike with frequent use than one that only gets a weekend spin.
    On the road bike I fitted new transmission before Xmas, thinking “bugger, what a bad time of year to do this!” but 3 months of 25 mile a day commuting plus weeked rides and the chain/cassete still look pretty much new – I also use it on shiny bits but spray onto a rag and wipe rather than just blast away, no signs of any salt damage this winter for the first time ever 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

Anyone use it on a commuter?

I do but if its raining on the way in I could do with reapplying for the ride home.

thegreatape
    Free Member

With reference to the pictures I posted – the bike almost always gets washed, dried and relubed as soon as I’m back from a ride, so it doesn’t sit about wet and muddy. I wonder if this makes a bigger difference than it might for other lubes?

tallie
    Free Member

Gary – that sounds like too much hassle for me. My poor commuter goes weeks without a clean…

What about on long day rides – do you need to carry some with you to re-apply at regular intervals?

Gary_M
    Free Member

My poor commuter goes weeks without a clean…

As does my winter commuter, I get home, hang it up, spray the chain with UBS and thats it really.

I said I could do with reapplying for the ride home, I don’t though. The noise keeps wheelsukers away 🙂

andysredmini
    Free Member

I meant to reply to this thread when it re appeared a couple of weeks ago but forgot.
    I have been using scottoiler now for a few months and have mixed opinions. On the plus side its really easy to keep the drive train clean, I wash the whole bike with the same (dustpan) brush and the drive train comes up spotless. I then just reapply to the drive train. I have given up spraying the whole bike as it didn’t make cleaning any easier and didn’t look any cleaner after just brushing off with water. It definitely doesn’t pick up the muck like other oils I have used including rockandroll and prolink gold.
    The main negative is that it doesn’t last long especially on wet rides. I keep meaning to stick some in a small bottle and reapply mid ride.

The pluses definitely outweigh any negatives. I don’t think ill go back to any other oil.

Ignore the broken mech on the pic below but its a good example of how clean my drive train is and this was mid ride. I never used to bother cleaning my drive-train much but its really easy with this stuff.

Andy

[/url] by andysredmini, on Flickr[/img]

thered

I’m going to try some of this for the summer, does anybody know of any voucher codes going for it?

alex283
    Free Member

Not sure about voucher codes, but they’ve got an offer for a spray and a dropper bottle just now http://www.scottoiler.com/uk/Cycle/Ultimate-Bike-Solution-Starter-Pack/flypage.tpl.html

carlphillips
    Free Member

Still using it on mine. Still amazed at how clean everything stays. I’ve done long wet muddy day rides and haven’t felt the need to re apply.
    Quick rinse with hose no brushing needed and reapply ready for next time…

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

any updates on this? ive got 2 brand new bottles to try out, but I need a dripper bottle to successfully lube the chain with out wasting loads and getting it anywhere

until I can get hold of r’n’r extreme I’m going to try this properly now its turned to winter 🙁

any updates from folks using it as a lube in mud etc would be appreciated!

Suggsey
    Free Member

Failed dismally as a wet muddy ride lube for me….made cleaning bikes a bit easier…..was speaking to the UBS chap at the bike show and gave him my feedback and to be fair be pointed out that the UBS is not aimed at being a wet rude ultra durable lube but maybe once the bike scotoiler is released to market it may be of use to the right people.
    I have had more joy this time round with Squirt on the 29er but to be honest I’ll be sticking with C3 ceramic dry and wet varieties on the MTB and just spend the five minutes extra cleaning the drivetrain like I did last winter.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers suggsey, fair enough, its always really grim and muddy once winter kicks in here, so theres no getting away from it at all

looks like it wont be suitable then in such situations, guess ill wait for the rnr extreme and use what evers lying around till then

Suggsey
    Free Member

If your wet muddy ride us less than around two hours you may get away with Squirt, you may not…..Cannock Chase (off piste) can be the best test of any lube going but with Squirt you absolutely must relube (slather it on) as soon as you get back home to avoid rust forming all over the place on the chain.
    I too can’t wait for the new importers to get some stock of R&R Extreme….makes the same mess as Squirt in applying it but no rust issues if you forget or get lazy when you return from a late muddy night ride.
    Are you wiping off the excess of the C3 after leaving it to cure/set in……. I’ve found by being a bit more diligent with pre ride wipe down I can get three dirty rides in before a full chain/cassette clean down…..Ikea face cloths 20p each for this purpose along with rubbing alcohol for disc cleaning etc etc etc.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers suggsey

i usually degrease chain/clean let it dry or towel dry it, then apply the muc off, let it set maybe 5-10 mins then wipe off all the excess

dont get me wrong the muc off stuff lasts, and its pretty smooth, but jesus does it get filthy quickly, the chain just becomes a thick mess, and combined with thick/thin teeth it makes all sorts of noises once its black and gunky

problem is in the week i dont get time to degrease everything and its just transfers on to my clothes and hands / (house 😳 ) in a thick black mess

r’n’r extreme simply was a wipe down after every ride and re-lube with no real mess anywhere

thegreatape
    Free Member

Does r’n’r also avoid the build up of black paste that UBS does? That’s what I like about UBS, it keeps everything so clean, but I’m not averse to trying an alternative.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 138 total)

The topic ‘scottoiler ultimate bike spray… anyone using it?’ is closed to new replies.