• This topic has 137 replies, 47 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by kcr.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 138 total)
  • scottoiler ultimate bike spray… anyone using it?
  • carlphillips
    Free Member

What’s it like?

Jamie
    Free Member

No. Seems pricey.

BikeRadar managed to not test it, and just regurgitate a press release.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/ultimate-bike-solution-from-scottoiler-just-in-42506/

hilldodger
    Free Member

Haven’t usd that particular brand but there semm to be a variety of similar water based products around.
    Have used a few on the roadbike and they do seem top stop the crud sticking, one in particular worked well as a cleaner/finisher – and it smells of bananas
    http://www.duck-smart.com/index.php/2013-04-30-20-30-11/bike-ezee

azrael71
    Free Member

Duck-smart looks like showroom shine off of those shopping channels.
    Interested in the no degreasing element of the OP’s question.

andybrad

im not. Ive used the fs365 on motorbikes before and its ok but it coveres everything in a residue. i cant see it being good for bikes that your manhandling about. Like spraying everything in wd40

kcr
    Free Member

I use it in my Scottoiler on the work bike, because they stopped selling the original Scottoiler lube. It seems like the same stuff, and does the job OK, keeping my chain cleaner than conventional lube. I don’t know how it would perform as standalone spray on lube.

Jamie
    Free Member

im not. Ive used the fs365 on motorbikes before and its ok but it coveres everything in a residue. i cant see it being good for bikes that your manhandling about. Like spraying everything in wd40

Back in the day I used to use the FS365. Still not sure if it did anything other than stink if you got some on the exhaust.

stompweaver

Having seen the threads about Ultimate Bike Spray I am going to try some FS365 on my mountain bike and see what it’s like, I haven’t thought about using it before. I have used it on motorbikes in the past and it worked well although it did seem to wash off really easily and you had to keep on top of reapplying it.

Ultimate Bike Spray must just be FS365 in a different bottle which is more expensive for less, make of that what you will!

hilldodger
    Free Member

Aha, didn’t realise the UBS claimed to be a lube as well as a dirt shedder/cleaner – can’t seem to find anyhting online about it which isn’t a rejigged press release, which I think is often a bad sign.

stompweaver

If it is FS365 rebadged, which I am sure of, it contains a small amount of oil hence the lubrication claims and the advice to keep it away from brakes. I’ll try it out this weekend and report back.

StirlingCrispin

I use the ultimate bike spray on several of my bikes.
    It is NOT FS365 rebadged.

UBS works well. Cleaning the chain after a mucky ride just requires a soft brush and tap water (from a hose). It differs from the FS365 in that it needs a brush to clean it off the chain.

FS365 is still my spray of choice for protecting the bike after hosing it down (I reserve the UBS for the chain).

KCR – FS365 is the same stuff as the original chain lube used in the bicycle Scottoiler.
    (which differs again from the motorcycle chain lubes)

stompweaver

StirlingCrispin that’s interesting, so UBS is the same as the blue oil that goes in the Scottoiler itself?

I have some of the original Scottoiler blue chain lube in my garage too so I will check that out. I haven’t used it on my motorbikes when I stopped commuting on them but I have got plenty of it left.

Yeah ignore all that – just re-read Stirling’s post properly! Idiot at the best of times Monday morning more so 😳

So how is the make up of UBS different to FS365?

stompweaver

There’s only one way to find out so I’ve just ordered some UBS to try. 🙂

andybrad

ok heres my question.

I understand the reason for spraying the bike in some form of water dispersing type product. something like silicone spray as it stops things sticking to it. However something like fs365 is oily and so all sorts of crap is going to stick to your bike is it not? I can see it being beneficial to keep things running smoothly but as a frame coating i dont get it. Also i wonder what the effect is on seals.

carlphillips
    Free Member

It looks good if it does what it says it does… As Jamie says it is pricey but may be worth a shot…

kiddaclo
    Free Member

I started using it about a month or so ago, best lube I’ve used. No gunking up and I’ve been shocked how well it seems to stay put, for a water based, on wet rides.

I only use it on the chain/cassette not all over. I spray it on after hosing the bike down then a again before I ride and it’s been great.

Get the 750mm spray for £10 delivered it’s the same stuff as in the 50ml!

Jamie
    Free Member

So let’s get this straight. This stuff is a lube and cleaner, which you spray on a freshly degreased bike. After that, you just rinse your bike after a ride, then reapply on your moving metal bits?

Sounds ace, but my only issue is if it really works this well, then why isn’t every man and his dog using it? Why do none of the big stores have it as a stock item? Why is there no reviews, other than a few press releases mentioned above?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Squirt on chain.

Water to wash bike (chain and cassette will come up shiny thanks to the Squirt)

Optional, furniture polish spray & wipe on frame surfaces as a protective coat and replant. Smells nice, and it’s cheap.

End of

kiddaclo
    Free Member

Never bothered spraying it on the rest of the bike apart from the rear mech now and then so can’t comment on it’s magical cleaning properties but it does seem to be a very good lube.

kcr
    Free Member

That’s interesting, I didn’t know the original yellow Scottoiler Active Fluid was still selling under a different name.

I like the Scottoiler on my work bike because it takes more abuse from the road conditions than the MTB chain gets offroad, and the Scottoiler UBS prevents the build up of dirt that you get with a traditional oily lube.

On the MTB I have been using Pro Gold, which has been a revelation. I originally bought it to lubricate road race bikes, tried it on the MTB as an experiment, and found that it performs really well on very long rides in wet and muddy conditions. It’s a very thin, low viscosity fluid which looks as if it will last about 5 minutes off road, but it just seems to keep working, and performs better than a sticky wet lube.

StirlingCrispin

kcr – Scottoiler Active Fluid is the same as FS365 (I know this because the former rep told me).
    I was never entirely convinced – but I happily run FS365 in my AFS (9-speed only unfortunately).

The motorbike chain lube is different (designed to fling). That said I know a former British masters MTB champion who happily used the motorbike stuff on his mtb.

The UBS is different again – nano-particles and other such magic.

FS365 is a rust-inhibitor – it’s extremely effective at this. It also lubes because water is a lubricant (I also know the guy who did his masters thesis on this!). It does also help keep the bike clean and it does bring the bike up in a lovely protective shine.

For a bike cleaner you want to use TS52 (I think it’s called that). Very effective – a few drops on a soft brush goes a long way. My wee demo bottle lasted for years!

The technical guys at Scottoiler are really helpful. If you have any questions I’d suggest emailing them, or posting on their Facebook page.

(Disclaimer – I used to get given Scottoiler stuff to test and destroy to help with product development. I still use Scottoiler stuff today even though I have to pay for it!)

stompweaver

Thanks for the information StirlingCrispin, very useful. 🙂

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

yep, good info, gonna have to try some 🙂

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Brilliant stuff this especially for a lazy arse like me 🙂

Get the 750mm spray for £10 delivered it’s the same stuff as in the 50ml!

THIS

Highly recommended; having tried most lubes and degreasers over the years. Why take two bottles into the shower??

Jamie
    Free Member

How long does it last then?

A question STW Towers might know, seeing as they had some in to review last year.

Fresh Goods Friday 142

I almost impulse bought some, but still cannot shake the feeling if it’s been out for a year or so, how come it has zero market presence.

Edit: If Scottoiler’s Google Alerts is working properly, and they are reading this, I would be more than happy to try a free sample on the me CX bike and be able to give an impartial review 😉

carlphillips
    Free Member

@stirlingcrispin thanks for that…may just try it out for chain/cassette lube only, im never arsed about how clean the rest of my bike is anyway.

Northwind

FS365 was shit unfortunately, I wanted to like it- I bought a 5 litre bottle! But it didn’t last at all, then along came ACF50 and you basically had to be a muppet to use the FS365 after that.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I emailed Scottoiler to point them to this (and the other threads). They got back to me and explained that the amount of time they used to spend on forums became unmanageable – ideal STW candidates I would say! Anyway, they were happy for their reply to be posted…

‘Thank you for the email and the heads up about the points being raised on the forum.

We would love to be able to spend time on forums answering all the questions put forward but due to the amount of forums out there in both the motorcycle and cycle worlds its simply not possible for us to do so.

However we do love to engage with the public through Facebook and Twitter, especially to answer queries or give more information.

Here are links to both channels https://twitter.com/scottoilerubs https://www.facebook.com/scottoiler

We have tried to put as much information as we can onto our website http://www.ultimatebikesolution.com and there are also some useful videos on our youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Scottoilers

UBS has been a pretty recent addition to the Scottoiler range and we have sent samples to many media outlets with the promise of reviews but as yet we are still waiting for them to be published.

Regards
    Kev
    Kevin Rooney
    Sales, Marketing and Export Manager’

Jamie
    Free Member

I think the problem is that a company can put out as much info as they like, but people want to hear of others experiences before spending what is a fair wedge on a cleaning product.

BS has been a pretty recent addition to the Scottoiler range and we have sent samples to many media outlets with the promise of reviews but as yet we are still waiting for them to be published.

As I linked above, STW got sent it over a year ago. Odd no follow up, unless it’s hidden in the archive somewhere.

carlphillips
    Free Member

I’ll post a review once I’ve received mine…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’d be interested to hear how it get’s on too. Usualy I just wipe the frame and rims with whatever is to hand, stuff like GT85/WD40 seems to work well but washes off, oily rag and chain lube lasts longer but is oily if you have to lift the bike over stuff, silicone spray is somewhere between the two, cheap car wax lasts untill you wash it off, but isn’t anywhere near as effective.

Tempted to try this, seems to keep the boat clean and definately doesn’t wash off!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/STARBRITE-Premium-Marine-Polish-PTEF/dp/B003IZVBU2

BS has been a pretty recent addition to the Scottoiler range

Freudian slip?

neverownenoughbikes
    Free Member

I use the (now discontinued) scottoiler system on my commuting bikes and it works great. Used to fill it with the Active Fluid until the FS365 came out. I had initially emailed them asking if they sold bigger bottles of the active fluid than the 250ml and was advised to use the FS365 as it was the same stuff. Then when they released the UBS in large bottles I used that instead because a tenner for 750ml seems pretty good value when a tiny bottle of finish line is about 4 or 5 quid.
    My experience of it is that it seems to lube the chain well and last ages between applications (i apply using the scottoiler system only about twice every 15 or 20 miles and even then its only through habbit, the chain isn’t dry or raspy).
    Before I used the scottoiler if the bike was stored away for a few weeks the chain would inevitably have a wee spot of rust on it even if lubed but the scottoiler seems to prevent this, the UBS being the best so far.
    I contacted scottoiler about spares when i needed them and enquired why the oiler system was no longer available. Apparently they are working on a new one that doesn’t require the squeezy squid thing as people didn’t like having to remember to press it and thought it was a faff – it really isn’t, much less hasstle than manually lubing the chain.)
    The UBS keeps the chain clean, rust free and easy to clean, no build up of black gunk. I’d advise using a small bottle for application and just putting it on the links of the chain as spraying it will just use more than required.
    If they introduce a new oiler system then I would recommend it to anyone that commutes regularly. Just my 2p.

p.s.
    old oiler does look a bit rubbish with the tubes etc but hopefully the new model will work on this.

neverownenoughbikes
    Free Member

just got an automatic email from them, 2 bottles of the 750ml UBS is currently £15.98 instead of £19.96

Jamie
    Free Member

Oooh! So £16 on an unknown quantity 😀

thegreatape
    Free Member

It’s only an unknown quantity to naysayers 🙂

I shall be getting some more, so there.

Jamie
    Free Member

Do you use it then? If so, how long does it last, and does it work as advertised?

ANSWER ME!*

*FOR A FREE GIFT!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Cool!

Excuse the cut and paste from another thread…

thegreatape – Member
    I don’t really understand how it works, and my scepticism is not yet fully overcome, but when I come back from riding in the filth and wet, the drivetrain does clean up a treat with just water, and I have no rust on it, so it seems to be doing something right.

How does it work if it washes off with water? Surely your drivetrain will just be lube free at the first sight of rain? Or puddles.

I asked the same question of the fellas that recommended it to me, and they reckon it builds up over time. I’ll carry on with it for a while yet. I’d say I’m fairly impressed so far.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ll add to that, that when I run my fingers along the chain I can feel that it is lightly lubricated.

I’m going to decant it from the big spray bottle into a squeeze one to make applying it to the chain neater. I put a wee bit on/in the shifters too, and the mechs.

thegreatape
    Free Member

just got an automatic email from them, 2 bottles of the 750ml UBS is currently £15.98 instead of £19.96

£13.58 with the code UBSXMAS2014

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 138 total)

The topic ‘scottoiler ultimate bike spray… anyone using it?’ is closed to new replies.