Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Scottish towns and villages over the christmas period
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

Wee question, I’m looking for a wee town somewhere to hire out a villa/cottage on the outskirts, something walking distance into a town/village centre but fairly secluded for a week over christmas, looking at 23rd to like the 31st.

Location wise, I’m not sure yet. Been looking all over scotland

What are these wee towns/villages like at christmas, do they shut down over the christmas/winter period, are pubs and restaurants open? Outwith early closing on christmas day obv.

Any thoughts/ general advice? tbh canny say I’ve ever left glasgow for christmas! 😳 😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

oops, wrong forum, sorry!

Spin
    Free Member

The short answer is ‘it depends’. Somewhere close to the bigger tourist destinations (Aviemore, Braemar, Trossachs, Perthshire) is probably your best bet. Out with that it can still get a bit ghost town like.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Aye largely my thinking, west coast and further up north would be deserted eh?

tomd
    Free Member

I’d be looking at somewhere around Pitlochry or Birnam / Dunkeld. They’re accessible enough not to get too dead over the festive period, there might even be some events on.

TheFlyingOx

Secluded but within walking distance of a village/town?

http://www.claremontlodgestandrews.co.uk/contact.php
    At the edge of a small wood looking out onto farmland, walking distance (~1/4 mile) to Strathkinness (pub and not much else, but it is an excellent pub with excellent food), long walking distance (~3 miles) from St Andrews. St A’s is pretty lively over the festive period.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Only ever been in Tighnabruaich in Argyllshire for a chunk of the festive period and it was dead as a dodo.

Dunkeld/Pitlochry I would have thought would have had more life in them.

Also the scenery there is where the Highlands start to get a bit Alpine-ish so it might look/feel a bit more Christmassy.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Cheers all, seems somewhere up the A9 is the best shout. ta. 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Arran
    Plenty places open in Lamlash and Brodick, train from Weej straight onto ferry, ideal.

riddoch

We stayed in a place just outside Crieff a few years ago, it was lodges but we got the gatekeepers cottage. Went though to comrie for hogmanay as they have torches and burning things burny burny

scotroutes

Very little winter activity up the West Coast. We stayed just outside Ullapool a few years ago, wandered in on Hogmanay and it was dead (I’m sure there would have been a few local gatherings).

gwaelod
    Free Member

Kirkwall….watch the ba.

Epic

renton
    Free Member

Fochabers will be nice. My folks rented a place called “the old manse” in fochabers earlier this year and it was lovely.

Got some decent walks/trails on the doorstep too.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Aberfeldy or Crieff would be my suggestions. But if you end up Dunkeld/Pitlochry area and want a ride give me a shout 🙂

footflaps

Spent many Xmas/NYs in Aviemore over the years, really enjoyed it, town is nice and lively.

properbikeco
    Free Member

dumfries and galloway is pretty decent, shorter journey too

think you’ll find christmas opening is barely affected, new years day and the 2nd jan most shops will shut but pubs etc still open

bazhall
    Free Member

What about the East Nuek of Fife?

There is Crail, Anstruther etc nice wee fishing villages, quite and peaceful and not far from St Andrews or Dundee for bigger town/city. There is a nice beech Kingsbarns and Tentsmuir Forset outside Leuchars is good for walk or a wee bit of biking.

duckman

If you get in quick, the Moulin Pitlochry has a sleeps 8, two level flat that is right across from the hotel. A bracing hill down into Pitlochry if you bother (the Moulin has its own brewery and cracking food)

alishand

My thinking would be somewhere further north up the A9, rather than central. Somewhere around Aviemore, Granton upon Spey etc would definitely have your christmas like feel (basically aim for the cairngorms!)

scotroutes

Sorry, I just had to post this somewhere

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Scottish towns and villages over the christmas period’ is closed to new replies.