Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Sci-fi/Space Games (PC)
  • johnw1984
    Free Member

Star Trek passed me by as I was growing up, but recently I’ve been watching the new one on Netflix as well as Next Generation.

Also watched the first series of Expanse, and am a fan of Star Wars etc. I’ve just realised that I quite like Sci-fi stuff!

Sorry for the waffle, but I’m looking for game suggestions for PC. Want to try Elite Dangerous and No Man’s Sky. Anything else to have a go at?

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Homeworld 1 and 2. Great rts games

akira

No man’s sky is a bit ponderous, then it slows down.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

I quite like the ‘X Beyond the Frontier’ serie of games but rarely have the time to play. I own Elite Dangerous but have yet to try it for the same reason.

I found Everspace is simple to get to grips with and you can have a 10 minute blast and then do something else.

For a nice simple game have a look at PixelJunk shooter – great fun playing with someone else and a bit like a 1980’s 2D game.

Before you buy see what is availble on Gog.com and humble bundle, sometimes you can get a much better deal than directly from steam.

codybrennan
    Free Member

The greatest space-sim PC game of all time is, of course, “I-War”.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Good shouts!

Played Homeworld years ago. Seem to remember it being a good RTS game.

I don’t mind ponderous games for a bit of a mess about on. I’ll check some of the CD key sites and see what’s on sale.

Anymore flying/exploring ones are a good shout. Like a good shooter too!

Freelancer was great, but a bit old now. Also enjoyed Mass Effect 1&2 (not tried 3rd yet).

Daffy

They did a remastered version of Homeworld a few years ago, taking full use of the power available in new PCs. It’s stunning to behold.

Battfleet Gothic would be another good RTS.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

i-War 1 & 2 are reduced on gog.com at the moment for less than £8. Great value if you can put up with the dated graphics.

If you are feeling particularly poor or only possess a dated machine there are also opensource projects around Freespace 2 and Elite – Frontier. I can’t say how good they are…

Everspace is probably the closest to thing to Freelancer at the moment – crazy fast paced dog-fights etc.

If you liked the original Descent have a look at Sublevel Zero. Another one you can play for a quick 20 minute fix before going back to whatever you should really be doing 🙂

[video]https://youtu.be/wx9qBBUPdBo[/video]

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

remastered version of Homeworld

I just discovered this is in my Steam library. I have never installed or played it 😳 I probably picked it up for buttons during a Steam Sale.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Had a little look at a youtube video of i-War. Something I would have probably enjoyed when it was first released. Might be a bit dated for me now though.

Laptop is fairly decent spec (geforce 1060, I5, SSD etc).

Sublevel Zero looks a bit claustrophobic for me! Pretty though…

Homeworld Remastered is on my wishlist, and it’s £8 at the moment…

fossy

Star Wars Battlefront isn’t bad, but it doesn’t support proper joysticks, so flying is a bit awkward if you aren’t used to game pads.

Cougar

there are also opensource projects around Freespace 2

Freespace is bloody brilliant. http://www.fsoinstaller.com/

johnw1984
    Free Member

That Freespace looks interesting. So I have to get a copy of Freespace 2 then update it using this installer?

Cougar
    Cougar

PSA: Whilst you’re on GoG, Syberia is being given away for free at the moment.

fossy

Freespace 2 being downloaded now – love a good space shoot-em-up.

Cougar

One thing with FS2 – if you use the Open Source Installer, you can add the first game as a mission pack. It’s probably worth doing that to get the full story.

Cougar

Oh yeah, there’s Descent Underground too.

vondally
    Free Member

Mass effect 2 and 3

johnw1984
    Free Member

Plenty to go at here now. I’ve already done ME1 and 2, never got round to 3 though.

Mass Effect was one of those “wow” games for me. Really made you feel for the characters and their stories.

Northwind

Homeworld for sure.

Also, right at the other end, FTL.

Star Wars: Empire At War is supposed to be good, got it on my wishlist but never tried it.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I think I’ll save Homeworld for my next RTS fix!

FTL is in my library. Had a few goes at it, but I’m terrible at it lol.

Going to have a go at Freespace 2 with the updates and see how I get one.

Few others I want to try (Elite Dangerous, Rebel Galaxy, No Man’s Sky).

Cletus

No mention of Starcraft or Starcraft 2 yet?? wtf?

PJM1974
    Free Member

No Man’s Sky has come along a very long way since release. I really enjoy playing it now that there’s plenty to do.

Elite Dangerous requires a lot of time invested, but with a decent enough PC and a 4K screen, it’s stunningly beautiful.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Is Starcraft 2 worth playing the single player campaign? I’m not really into pvp on stuff like that.

I’ve heard about the improvements on No Man’s Sky, so I’m tempted by that. Just had a quick go on Freespace 2, not sure if I’ve done the mod thing right, but it’s a bit too dated for me I think.

Cougar

I’ve not touched it in years but IIRC you need to enable the mods in the launcher (and use the open source launcher, not the one that comes with it).

If it looks like a 20 year old game then you’ve definitely missed something, the last time I played with it I’d to turn the detail down for it to run.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Hmm, I’ll have another go at it tomorrow. I had a horrible hangover trying to figure it out earlier 🙁

FuzzyWuzzy

The XCOM games are worth checking out (although I prefer Enemy Unknown & Enemy Within to XCOM2)

johnw1984
    Free Member

Oh yeah! XCOM2, I forgot about that. Have Enemy Unknown and thought it was ace (never used to be a fan of turn-based stuff).

Weird how your tastes change as you get older.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Sci-fi/Space Games (PC)’ is closed to new replies.