• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • schwalbe thunder burt users?
  • Rik
    Free Member

Anybody use the 29×2.1 tyre? Just wondering if they come up big or small width wise?

Currently running 2.1 Crossmarks which are quite broad for there given size.

lightman
    Free Member

Mine come up at 52mm on Crests.

njee20
    Free Member

Noticeably smaller than 2.25″ Rons, but a similar size to all 2.1″ Schwalbes. Great tyre, far more capable than they should be.

Rik
    Free Member

Cool cheers – 51mm so just under the stated size then

mikeep
    Free Member

They are really quite small compared to a 2.1 maxxis crossmark.

I road one for the first time at 10 under the ben on the rear. Super quick on the fire roads but I thought they were pretty sketchy on the damp rocky descents. No help under braking, I had my bike proper sideways with a tiny amount of rear brake and any steering input.

I prefer the crossmark. Yes, heavier and not as fast rolling but more confidence on the downs.

You want to buy mine? used once!

njee20
    Free Member

Braking is definitely their weak spot, they break away very readily. But it’s an ultra lightweight race tyre…

Rik
    Free Member

Mikeep – which one have you got? Email the details might be interested although there are a few cheap on eBay and German shops so the price will have to be right.

It’s for a Monstercross bike so fast is a key consideration, although I don’t find the crossmark (ace tyre) particularlly slow, just after something a bit narrower.

mashiehood
    Free Member

I run a 2.1 TB with a 2.25 RR and the TB is a lot smaller than the Ron. Great tyre though.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

52mm on LB 27mm rims.

Not really a MTB tyre, certainly not on the front but super quick/light and good for bridleways/CX type duties.

Shred
    Free Member

I’m running the 2.25 SS version on the rear, with a 2.25 Ralph on the front. My normal combo is a Ron front, Ralph rear. I changed for an event I’m doing in a few weeks time.

My impressions so far have been pretty positive. Overall speed on the flat and hard pack is way up. The Burt doesn’t work that well in loose conditions when climbing, or very rocky conditions. I haven’t battled with braking, but have found you need to lean them over when cornering. It has also been very dry here.

For my usual riding, and all round conditions I will probably go back to the Ron/Ralph.

nedrapier

Perfect for Monstercross!

I stick them on for longer rides (50-100 milers) where comfort becomes as much of a factor as speed.

Or for more mountain bikey rides if we’ve got friends round and I’ve lent my mtbs to them. Or give them to my wife (along with the alpha 340 wheelset) to go on her 29er for long rides where lightness and fast rolliness is going to be helpful for her.

They’ve got their limitations, as above, but they’re great at what they’re made for. Seem to be wearing well, too.

Rik
    Free Member

Cheers all – think I’ll be buying a set once my new frame arrives.

Looks perfect for what I’m after fast than the crossmark great for Gravel (or the old term – fireroad) and singletrack interesting bits.

adsh
    Free Member

But what do they offer over a Ralph which can brake and steer?

njee20
    Free Member

They weigh a lot less and roll faster.

I think they’re reasonably capable frankly. Not as bad as folk are making out IMO.

DanW
    Free Member

It’s for a Monstercross bike so fast is a key consideration, although I don’t find the crossmark (ace tyre) particularlly slow, just after something a bit narrower.

I had 26er Burts and while they are great for what they are I feel that the Specialized Renegades have a wider window of use.

I have the 29er 1.95 Controls and don’t feel I sacrifice any grip compared to 2.2 Ikons (generally considered a grippy if slightly slow XC race tyre) but they are of course a bit faster. The Renegades have performed really well whether it be rocky, damp, rooty, whatever.

You probably lose some comfort over a bigger volume tyre, but like the Burts, they are very supple so make up for it in ride quality. Since the Control casing on these extends uder the tread, as well as the sidewalls I’m hopefully they hold up better than my Burts around the tread. The tradeoff for this is that they are 1100g/ pair in the control version- so not hugely light.

The 2.3 Renegades look interesting (if they actually come to the UK) but I think you’ll need a decently wide rim to get the most from them as they don’t have the greatest sidewall stability in reviews online

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘schwalbe thunder burt users?’ is closed to new replies.