Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • scared my self a bit to much
  • spchantler
    Free Member

i came down the descent to the blue pig last night, in the dark, with no lights! whats the stupidest bike related thing you’ve ever done? saw three badgers though….

muckytee
    Free Member

Going down this steep rock garden without unlocking my fork, thought there was a bit of kick from the front 😕

Riding in the snow that time in Feb, until it got so dark I couldn’t see where I was going.

xiphon
    Free Member

Morzine DH track, rigid bike with canti’s, no pads or gloves, cheap XC lid. Spent two weeks riding it.

Aged 13, in 1997.

Fearless 😈

(Looking back, it was possibly the most stupid thing I’ve done…. but I loved it!)

Lifer
    Free Member

Sprinting from the bike hire shop to the lifts at Big Bear, about 1km.

My first introduction to what altitude does to you.

PiknMix
    Free Member

biked 20 miles on pitch black country roads as a teenager going over to stay with a lady!

sheer stupidity (but on hindsight was more than worth it) 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Fort William SDA in 2004 on an Specialized Enduro with 120mm Forks and lycra

peterfile
    Free Member

i came down the descent to the blue pig last night, in the dark, with no lights! whats the stupidest bike related thing you’ve ever done? saw three badgers though….

Blue Pig in the dark is one of the most fun things I used to do!

It’s quite hard to get it wrong, you could ride down it on a CX bike, just need to remember to turn every now and then 😉 It’s amazing in low light/dark.

I remember coming off really badly once though – after you cross over the small road, you jump over the huge tree roots and down the straight at full speed ready for the slightly bermed left turn down the steep cobbles. I turned in too early and my front wheel caught in the deep rut at the left hand side of the cobbles, my momentum throwing me to the right, straight across the cobbles and down the other side. It’s a fair old drop! Took me 10 mins to climb back up.

Pigface
    Free Member

Stupidest is easy 😆 trying to rest my foot on the light bracket on the front forks of my Falcon Black Diamond. Put my foot into the front wheel and launched myself over the bars. Bent forks, two spokes ripped out and a big lump on my head. I was eleven and it learned me not to put things in rotating wheels. Valuable lesson kids.

BruceWee

Wearing my baggy shorts I went over a drop. As is my wont I stuck my bum over the back tyre. Then found that I then couldn’t get it back over the saddle so had to do the rest of the descent in an extremely undignified position (not to mention a bit sketchy in the corners).

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Me and my brother had summer jobs in the same place, and used to cycle home together if we were on the same shift.

One day we decided to try to steer each other’s bike.

That was pretty stupid.

binners

We rode down through Rivi gardens last week after dark with no lights. It was decidedly sketchy towards the end

A right old laugh though 😀

Most of my genuinely stupid stuff tends to revolve around large quantities of Kronenburg leading me to believe I’m Steve Peat. Its ended rather badly on a couple of occassions.

Oh… and our bonfire night-ride a few years back that involved loads of beer, hip flasks full of absinthe, and the biggest ****ing fireworks we could carry. A dream combination. What could possibly go wrong?

spchantler
    Free Member

hip flasks full of absinthe

uh oh

DezB
    Free Member

Showing everyone on a demo day how fast I was. On an unfamiliar bike. In the wet. With summer tyres.
    The day ended when I headbutted a tree after slipping on wet roots at speed.
    Cracked vertibra in my neck.
    Never did buy a Cannondale after that.

peterfile
    Free Member

My most stupid biking accident unsurprisingly also involves beer.

Finished a long ride with a few friends and sat outside the Roundhay Fox near my old house in Leeds for a few beers. It was a lovely summers day and the place was heaving. We had about 6 beers before deciding to head home.

Feeling more sober than I was, rather than lifting my bike back down the 2ft from the seating area to the pavement, I decided to line my bike up on the wall, jump on, ride to the end (past everyone sat nearby) and hop off at the end of the wall.

Good plan, and it all went well, other than hitting (at full tilt) a sign headfirst which was above the wall. Bike shot off the end, however I was thrown off the back and hit the deck after making a loud THUD when my helmet hit the sign.

You can see the offending signpost in this photo, just next to the bike rack. I must have been doing about 15mph when I hit it 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

😆 Nice one Peterfile !

seadog101

Lent bike up against side of house to use it as a step ladder to change the bulb in the security light.

They are not designed for this. 🙄

coffeeking
    Free Member

Can’t think of anything I’ve done on a bike that really scared me, at home at least. I just refuse to put myself in those positions usually.

I did come clouting round a big left corner in Les Arcs once and the trail narrowed to about 8 inches wide with a several-hundred-foot drop to the right and a big boulder at pedal level on the left. Bounced off the rock due to concentrating too hard on it, skittered along the edge and somehow held it together. But that’s more fun than particularly scary.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

cycling home at about 1am from my mates a little worse for wear, remembered a jump some kids had built in a little wooded area between two housing estates, hit it at full tilt, didn’t realise till I was in mid air that they must have gotten the dirt from somewhere to built the jump…….oh yeah, the massive bombhole underneath me and I can’t jump very well

Somehow cleared it, the only successful jump I’ve ever pulled

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Rode pillion (on a motorbike) down the hard shoulder of the A1 near Boroughbridge as a pissed 14 yr old to get food with no helmets on

The lad riding it was also pissed. And had a broken leg.

Ohh, then we rode back up the same hard shoulder (ie the wrong way for the carriageway) back to the farm track where we came from.

😀

grtdkad
    Free Member

Jeez MF that’s fairly sketchy!!

molgrips
    Free Member

On the bike, I got caught out with a mate in the middle of Mid Wales somewhere, it went completely dark. In the woods I could only see the a vague hint of light grey which was the fire road by looking out of the corner of my eye.

I still did 30 odd mph down it though. Very silly.

We rode down through Rivi gardens last week after dark with no lights. It was decidedly sketchy towards the end

The Mid Wales one was waaay darker than that!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Jeez MF that’s fairly sketchy!!

Yes. That’s what most of the contents of a bottle of Pernod does to you.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

tried to ride a 1 foot wide ditch sideways at 0.5 mph on a 26er, . . . epic fail

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Decided to ride down some steps as a shortcut on Sunday.

First few meters were only 3-5″ tall and about a foot appart, then they got a bit bigger, then there was a corner, then they got shorter. They went on for about 300m with me hanging on waiting for a flat bit where I could stop and dissmount, which never happened! Think I got through with more luck than judgement! They were that anooying level of steepness just beyond the point where the front wheel tops self centering and starts flopping so every step (of which there must have been 100+) required effort to keep the bike heading straight.

Did the same route last night and took the longer road round.

sobriety
    Free Member

Chapel gate, in the dark, with no lights.

DH by braille, you find the rocks when you hit them!

tracknicko
    Free Member

climbed down bridge at morzine… UTTERLY hammered in the rain and dark. at about 4am.

the slats dont make for good climbing. you sort of hold on , then slip down to the corner where it welds to the upright, then repeat.

also i think we started off climbing down inside it, only to get some way down and realise you needed to be outside (might be the other way round actually)

obviously didn’t realise this until point of no return. there are MASSIVE lights shinging up at you that mean in your fuzzled head you don’t realise quite how fooking stupid you are being, until you have climbed for aaaaages.

GW
    Free Member

Xiphon – Pleney was smooth and well maintained in 97. Rode it on a v-braked 100mm hardtail myself that year after I snapped my DH bike. It didn’t feel stupid at all. 😉

allthegear
    Free Member

tracknicko – I don’t even like walking across that bridge!!!!

I seem to remember being pissed at the outdoor centre I worked at and we wanted more beer. Cue “borrowing” a petrol go-kart from the stores and driving that to the pub. There may have been a couple of people hanging on the sides, too. They go quite fast when you defeat the limiter.

Rachel

edlong
    Free Member

Wearing my baggy shorts I went over a drop. As is my wont I stuck my bum over the back tyre. Then found that I then couldn’t get it back over the saddle so had to do the rest of the descent in an extremely undignified position (not to mention a bit sketchy in the corners).

Exactly this – hem of shorts caught on back of saddle, completed descent while caught. Control minimal. Ordered some 3/4 length shorts to avoid recurrence

tracknicko
    Free Member

did that this year on a big (for me) drop in PDS. shat meself, only about 8-10 ft drop mayeb but looked at it again and again, psyched myself up, and as i went off the edge felt my camelback hose snag my saddle…

bit of poo came out, landed like a sack of shit. but all’s well that ends well eh?

riiich
    Free Member

I’m new around here, hello – here goes…

The good lady and I got a couple of bikes  last year. Me – first FS bike, first time clipless, first bike in 20 years. Her – first mountain bike, first time clipless, first bike with gears!!!

Anyway, what better way to give them a trial run than at Whites Level, Afan. How hard can it be? Barely made it out of the car park – got as far as the ramp opposite the fish ponds; I fell left into some brambles and she fell right into a ditch. Luckily had the good sense to bail out at that point and take on the coastal path around Pembrokeshire(?!?)

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘scared my self a bit to much’ is closed to new replies.