Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Save the Vulcan!
  • jools182
    Free Member
    geoffj

Why?

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Done. Be a shame to lose the last air worthy Vulcan. Beautifull plane.

Spongebob
    Free Member

They keep pumping money into this thing, but every plane has to be grounded eventually, regardless of how sentimental people get about it.

nuke

Seen the Vulcan fly several times…always enjoyable but personally I don’t understand the sentimentality towards the Vulcan. I’d rather see the money spent on getting Concorde back in the air…I’d say that’s far more ‘the people’s aircraft’.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

argh I thought this was about the pub in Cardiff 😉

I will help the cause – but agree with spongebob though just stalling the inevitable and heaven forbid it crashed and was gone for ever!!??!!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Why?

My thoughts exactly. Far better/more worthy things to spend money on than some relic of the Cold War.

Just flog it to some Yank/Japanese/Arab billionaire, and use the money to help fund a centre for disabled kiddies or something.

PiknMix
    Free Member

not again 🙁

the-muffin-man

Seems they have to appeal to ‘save the Vulcan’ every 3-4 months. I know its in private hands and doesn’t affect the tax-payer, but it seems its just a money-pit thats going to get more and more expensive to keep flying.

liquid
    Free Member

+1 for Why?

Pump money into saving something that was used to kill people?

zokes
    Free Member

Pump money into saving something that was used to kill people?

Didn’t it, in its entire service career, only kill a few argies with conventional bombs? Ironically, it probably killed a lot less people in its entire career than that Air France Concorde did in one ‘flight’.

Certainly a lot less than the Spitfire did, that’s for sure…

Why not just preserve it as one of the last few triumphs of British engineering, and be grateful that it was never called upon to carry out its real purpose?

CaptJon
    Free Member

one of the last few triumphs of British engineering

wtf?

zokes
    Free Member

CaptJon – Member

one of the last few triumphs of British engineering

wtf?

Care to name something of note since the Vulcan that was solely-British designed and built?

zokes
    Free Member

Nah, thought not…

the-muffin-man

Problem is Zokes you can’t compare the present to the past. No single nation* can now afford to develop something like this on their own. We couldn’t even afford to do Concorde on our own in the 60’s/70’s.

Don’t get me wrong it was a fantastic sight and I saw it many time as a kid in the 70’s and 80’s, but without government money or a very wealthy benefactor I struggle to see how they can keep it flying longterm.

*With the exception of Russia, China and the USA

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Care to name something of note since the Vulcan that was solely-British designed and built?

Silly argument. The vulcan involved loads of ideas and technologies developed abroad. Much of the raw materials undoubtedly came from other countries.

And anyway, there have been plenty of great bits of engineering designed and built in Britain since the Vulcan; notably in the automotive industry.

And check out the number of F1 cars designed and built in Britain. Granted, not always with ‘British’ engines, but Cosworth had a pretty good run in F1 and other forms of motorsport.

Then there’s British architecture.

Oh, and British architects are literally building bridges abroad!

So don’t be so silly!

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>Why not just preserve it as one of the last few triumphs of British engineering<

In which case – shove it in a museum with all the other military junk we’ve developed over the years

Merak

I thought it was built to carry the A-bomb. In which case, glad it was never required. Mothball it. Cut it up, and make it into razor blades.

The Harrier, however, a travesty that we will no longer use it. A truly fantastic machine.

incognito
    Free Member

I’ve been over that bridge 😀

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Endangered species?

mikey74
    Free Member

This sentimentality over a weapon of war is daft: It is old technology that is now obsolete. As others have said: Stick it in a museum and get over it. There a far more important things to do with the tax-payers money these days that preserving these dinosaurs.

Edric64
    Free Member

There are to many pinko lefties on here it’s an important piece of engineering worth keeping in the air the same as the battle of Britain flight

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Oh, and British architects are literally building bridges abroad

The Millau Viaduct was only designed by a Brit, the Frogs built it.

(i’ve been over it as well, 4 times)

Anyway, when was the last time you heard anyone say, ‘lets go to the car show, the old Aston Martin will be there’

hamishthecat
    Free Member

There a far more important things to do with the tax-payers money these days that preserving these dinosaurs

I think you’ve rather missed the point…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

There are to many pinko lefties on here it’s an important piece of engineering worth keeping in the air the same as the battle of Britain flight

Ha ha! Are you stuck in the 60s? What utter rot. The Vulcan is just a nice looking ‘plane, that’s all. Flog it and spend the money on something worthwhile, ffs.

There a far more important things to do with the tax-payers money these days that preserving these dinosaurs

Is Edric64 being preserved using tax-payer’s money?

The Millau Viaduct was only designed by a Brit, the Frogs built it.

Shh… 😉

Edric64
    Free Member

Edric64 being preserved using tax-payer’s money?

Only when I fall apart and need NHS treatment

Northwind

I don’t think it’s an important piece of engineering or a national symbol or any of that crap, I just like the fact that it looks completely mad when it’s flying and it makes a cool noise. Therefore I donated. It won’t be in the air forever but I’d like to see it keep going for as long as it can.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Wonder why there’s only one left? The rest all crashed. Praps best to be on the safe side, just bung it in a museum.

Alterntively, leave it in a public place, and let it become a piece of urban art:

Northwind

Elfinsafety – Member

“Wonder why there’s only one left? The rest all crashed.”

You probably do know that’s total mince but just in case you don’t- that’s total mince.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Did you see my link? 14 crashes out of 136 aircraft built. That’s a 10% failure rate. Not very impressive.

Ground this last one before it crashes on a school or something.

Edric64
    Free Member

Elfin safety that’s a nice picture of a scrapped Lightning!!

Northwind

Very poor effort

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oh well there you go.

jamferg
    Free Member

Daily Mail infiltrates STW Shock…..

jamferg
    Free Member

again….

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member

Ground this last one before it crashes on a school or something.

It might even be a special school for disabled kiddies 🙁

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Exactly. And as they’ll have spent the money on the Vulcan, there’ll be none to rebuild the school. 🙁

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

You probably do know that’s total mince but just in case you don’t- that’s total mince.

I thought half of all planes ever made crashed, because until they do they keep patching them up and flying then ?

tron
    Free Member

Taxpayer’s money? Money that could go to fund kiddies playgrounds and cure cancer? Are you lot really that thick or just incredibly disingenuous?

The front page of the Vulcan to the sky website contains the words “not Government funded” rather prominently.

The only way you can argue that it’s taxpayer’s money is if you argue that the money was donated by people who pay tax. Which could be technically true but is a very long way from the common usage of the term “taxpayer’s money”.

Nor would I be so stupid to argue that the cash donated to fix up the Vulcan would go to some other “valid” cause if the project didn’t exist. We simply don’t know what the opportunity cost of the project is.

Personally, I wouldn’t give them my cash, as the standing costs alone are huge and I’m unlikely to ever go to an airshow. Equally, I don’t give enough of a toss about people funding old planes to produce reams of bilge on here.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Taxpayer’s money? Money that could go to fund kiddies playgrounds and cure cancer? Are you lot really that thick or just incredibly disingenuous?

Well I might not be the sharpest pencil in the box, but at least I can read :

“Just flog it to some Yank/Japanese/Arab billionaire, and use the money to help fund a centre for disabled kiddies or something.”

No mention of “taxpayer’s money” anywhere.

Obviously you are a callous uncaring individual who doesn’t give a toss about disabled kiddies or see any need to put a smile on their poor little faces 😐

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Save the Vulcan!’ is closed to new replies.