Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Saturday boiler diagnosis fun!
  • martinhutch

The boiler is making horrible noises and not getting going. It’s a Baxi on an unvented system.

Pump isn’t starting up, but has power.

Boiler fires, water temp goes up sky high almost instantly (no activity from pump), and cuts out with an overheating code. Various unhealthy-sounding gurgling and rattling from the burner part of the boiler.

Have bled the pump and rest of the system, and added a bit of pressure. Bit of air came out first time I bled it, but now there is just steam.

Dead pump or could there still be an airlock somewhere? Or something else I’ve not thought of?

T1000
    Free Member

Can you tell that the pump is running?

martinhutch

Pump isn’t making any noise, or vibrating. Even if it was airlocked I guess it would be spinning in air.

alanl
    Free Member

Pump failure, or seized up.
    Thye are reasonably easy to replace, if they have stop taps, and the large nuts holding them on are not seized.
    Take the screw on cover on the front off, and see if you can turn the shaft – if it turns freely, then the motor has woen/burnt out. If it has seized, try and turn it, they sometime do free off.

Eitehr way, I’d be looking at getting a new pump.

Dibbs
    Free Member

The last time mine played up I managed to change just the motor/impellor part leaving the impellor casing still attached to the pipework.

Drac

Spiked drink? Oh wait.

martinhutch

Cheers guys. Just got back from the pub. Will take the bastard thing to bits tomorrow.

Xylene
    Free Member

^ a real man would have done it after getting back from the pub

martinhutch

^ a real man would have done it after getting back from the pub

True. What could possibly go wrong?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Saturday boiler diagnosis fun!’ is closed to new replies.