Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • SAS are pretty damn good!
  • Gary_C

While we’re talking about Ronin, is Natasha McElhone’s Irish accent the worst accent ever committed to celluloid? I’m struggling to think of a worse one. Richard Gere in The Jackal maybe…

Nah, It’s got to be Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

While we’re talking about Ronin, is Natasha McElhone’s Irish accent the worst accent ever committed to celluloid? I’m struggling to think of a worse one. Richard Gere in The Jackal maybe…

No, the worst irish accent was Colin Farrels in Alexander. 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

Hmmm, The Devil’s Own and Alexander. Giving me some good ideas for a film to watch tonight haha

shermer75
    Free Member

Hammyuk that sounds like a quote, where’s it from?

hammyuk
    Free Member

It’s not a quote – simple facts 😉

dudeofdoom

Looks kinda fun TBH….:-)

Bet the helicopter pilot loves doing that one , I expect the GTFOOH is also pretty exciting if your in the boat hanging on when pilot gives it some…

Kuco

Average height, average build. average colouring…… walk past in the street…..

I think it’s referred to as being the grey man.

wrecker
    Free Member

I didn’t really mean physically. The reference to “humour and humility” in the required qualities isn’t just lip service!
    They’re certainly not the serious, dark, brooding types everyone seems to expect ( not in the main anyway).

dudeofdoom

TBH I was always amazed that they had SAS TA 🙂

(Not knocking them BTW)

CountZero

That is beyond mental.
    I wouldn’t want to have been the person trying to sell the idea to the pilot.

For a big chopper, that’s not such a dodgy thing to do.
    However, have you ever watched a C-130 do a Khe Sahn drop? Bringing a 78 ton aircraft in at low speed at 500ft, then just dropping the nose straight down requires an enormous act of faith that the bloody thing is going to pull up at the bottom! Whoever first suggested it must have been mad, whoever first tried it almost suicidal!
    I’ve watched Hercs practicing it at Lyneham, from my work studio window, and it was heart-stopping every damned time.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtObGx-XrhQ&sns=em[/video]

somouk
    Free Member

However, have you ever watched a C-130 do a Khe Sahn drop

I’ve been in the back when one has done that, most certainly not a nice feeling. The pilots practice it a surprising amount though as it’s perfect for the hercs style of operations.

Northwind

Wonder what that does to the corrosion life? If you put your bike in the sea for 10 seconds it’ll just about vanish 🙂

mikertroid
    Free Member

Khe Sahn approaches like that aren’t practised as they’re not the best tactically. Plus the newer C130J is less draggy.

You can do better in other types however 8)

big_n_daft
    Free Member

TBH I was always amazed that they had SAS TA

IIRC the regular SAS was disbanded post WW2 but they kept the TA Regts

they do a different role, a few transfer directly into 22 (Chris Ryan)

there are a couple of other units in the TA that qualify as “special”

Teetosugars
    Free Member

IIRC the regular SAS was disbanded post WW2 but they kept the TA Regts

Sorry, what?
    22 is still live and kicking in Credenhill.

sbd16v
    Free Member

I didn’t really mean physically. The reference to “humour and humility” in the required qualities isn’t just lip service!
    They’re certainly not the serious, dark, brooding types everyone seems to expect ( not in the main anyway).

Tell you what, they eat alot lol.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Have seen the SBS practicing off Portland quite a bit, they are known to board the ferries at night as practice. That helicopter thing looks like a bit of a stunt, needs very flat water and stable wind conditions, a lot of risk of loosing the helicopter I’d think. Much easier to winch the people up and the boat if needed.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

At the end of the war the British Government saw no further need for the force and disbanded it on 8 October 1945.[2] The following year it was decided there was a need for a long-term deep-penetration commando unit, and a new SAS regiment was to be raised as part of the Territorial Army.[26] Ultimately, the Artists Rifles, raised in 1860 and headquartered at Dukes Road, Euston, took on the SAS mantle as 21st SAS Regiment (V) on 1 January 1947.[3][26]

reading Wiki it appears that Army Reserve units are no longer designated SF

Sorry, what?
    22 is still live and kicking in Credenhill.

I didn’t say they weren’t

TheDTs
    Free Member
Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘SAS are pretty damn good!’ is closed to new replies.